February 15th--Let's Do This

eatspinraverepeat

56 minutes ago, scma said:

We eat a lot of tofu in my house - is there a reason we should stop? (assuming reintro goes well, that is)

Hi scma, I'll let someone more up on the pros and cons of tofu weigh in here. As for us, we haven't really gotten into the habit of having tofu and would probably only have it  in miso soup.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, scma said:

We eat a lot of tofu in my house - is there a reason we should stop? (assuming reintro goes well, that is)

Soy can cause a lot of issues, especially in regard to disrupting your hormones (raises estrogen levels). You are best to avoid it for your pregnancy, although it is not necessarily contraindicated during pregnancy, especially if you are have been okay not eating soy for the past month.  https://paleoleap.com/dangers-soy/

More scientific overview of soy: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/soy/background/hrb-20060012

You probably want to try to maintain much of the W30 principles for the next 9 months. If the conditions of W30 were good for your fertility....they are good for long-term health for mom and baby. You should definitely talk to your doctor, but I'd be really wary about adding back in too much high carb food, especially high glycemic index, and foods that could change the balance of your hormones.

1 hour ago, MargretB said:

Yay for all of us! One last day! We're all perfect now, never to be tempted to eat things that don't make us feel awesome again, right? My boss told me he's bringing in donuts for a meeting today and my first reaction was, "Really? On day 30?!" 

Congratulations to everyone for getting through this! 

Yes, congrats! Let's all make sure to make it to midnight tonight!

I'm not sure if I'll actually start reintroduction tomorrow. I may just keep going until something I really want comes up. I have a happy hour on Monday, and that may be the first time I reintroduce...and it will just be wine. I want to give dairy a shot, so I know if I can eat yogurt.

Thanks for the links. Based on the fact that the Chinese have been eating it for almost 2000 years, I think I'm going to keep tofu (we eat it about once a week), but try to cut out most of the rest of the soy sources out there.

1 hour ago, scma said:

Thanks for the links. Based on the fact that the Chinese have been eating it for almost 2000 years, I think I'm going to keep tofu (we eat it about once a week), but try to cut out most of the rest of the soy sources out there.

Well, I do a lot of things different from the Chinese :) and also know first hand about the hormone-disrupting potential of tofu. Since my Whole30 I've put it on probation and eat it and other soy-based foods infrequently. 

16 minutes ago, scma said:

It's a lot of people for a long time, either way :). Tofu also seems a lot more natural than a lot of soy products.

Well I certainly have my own list of less-than-optimal foods I choose to eat!:)

That said, there's nothing natural about tofu. 90% of soybeans in the US are genetically modified, coagulating agents have to be added to make the product, and tofu contains phytoestrogens and thyroid disrupters. 

So for me it's a little like eating a chocolate brownie  Sometimes I just say to hell with it. :)

Congrats everyone!!

I am stopping now. I haven't eaten anything off-W30 yet today but anticipate I will tonight. Probably some vegetarian sushi - which is rice AND soy but I'm not all that afraid of rice.

15 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Is anyone continuing on with a W45 or W60?

Great job @eatspinraverepeat & all! I plan to do round 2 on 3/28. In the meantime add a couple of things & see how I react. Tonight it's a hard cider. Kinda nice to end on the day before St Patrick's day! Cheers to you all & much success!

15 minutes ago, rgill said:

Great job @eatspinraverepeat & all! I plan to do round 2 on 3/28. In the meantime add a couple of things & see how I react. Tonight it's a hard cider. Kinda nice to end on the day before St Patrick's day! Cheers to you all & much success!

I would be interested to hear how the cider turns out for you! I am probably going to have a glass of wine on Monday as my first re-intro.

Summary of my W30

Day 31: NSVs, I can go through the day eating 3 square meals (no desperate cravings for snacks in the mid-morning/afternoon), clothes fit slightly better (only experienced this improvement in the last week), I am actively thinking about how foods will make me feel and aiming to fuel my body with healthy options (as opposed to fixating on how many calories I can get in or an IIFYM approach), and I am actively noting what foods make me feel less than optimal (even within what is allowed in W30). 

SV: lost 3 lbs!

@eatspinraverepeat Those NSVs are really awesome, especially the changing attitudes about food. 

I'm back to it this morning after yesterday's sugar-added bacon and drinks at happy hour. I feel fine this morning even though I made a tipsy decision to have a car bomb with everyone (so that would include barley and dairy). I had a pre-drinks snack of a couple boiled eggs and an apple with almond butter and ate a lara bar I had stashed in my purse at some point in the evening, which I'm sure contributed to feeling good this morning. 

One NSV that I just noticed is that normally at this point in my cycle I would be bloated enough that my pants would fit tighter. That hasn't happened at all this month, in fact it wasn't until I looked at my tracker app on my phone that I even realized where I was in the month! 

Summary & post Whole30 -  I'm so happy to report that I'm not even thinking about some of my old habits, esp for breakfast which was typically PB on toast.  Yesterday & today was eggs & veggies.  So delicious!  

@eatspinraverepeat - The beer went down very well:D Not feeling any side effects from it.

How'd everyone else do the first day "off" plan?

2 hours ago, MargretB said:

@eatspinraverepeat Those NSVs are really awesome, especially the changing attitudes about food. 

I'm back to it this morning after yesterday's sugar-added bacon and drinks at happy hour. I feel fine this morning even though I made a tipsy decision to have a car bomb with everyone (so that would include barley and dairy). I had a pre-drinks snack of a couple boiled eggs and an apple with almond butter and ate a lara bar I had stashed in my purse at some point in the evening, which I'm sure contributed to feeling good this morning. 

One NSV that I just noticed is that normally at this point in my cycle I would be bloated enough that my pants would fit tighter. That hasn't happened at all this month, in fact it wasn't until I looked at my tracker app on my phone that I even realized where I was in the month! 

Thanks, @MargretB! I am happy to hear you are feeling okay post-drinking. Car bombs are actually the one thing that I was acutely aware of as a no-go for me before my food awareness awakening of Whole30. I learned long ago that if I had an Irish Car Bomb, even if it was the only drink for the night, I would be sick as a dog the next day, if not throwing up that night. I'm so glad to hear you are not experiencing your normal hormonal bloat! NSVs keep rolling in!

@rgill I'm so glad to hear the cider was not bothersome. Since I didn't reintroduce anything yesterday, I'm waiting to reintroduce wine on Monday.

Here's my pseudo-scale victory. I bought a bioimpedance bodyfat analyzer (they are accurate +/- 3%) and measure my BF this morning: 21.5%. Lower than I expected. I plan to measure once a week as I work towards my goal of a 6 pack for summer. Whole30 has taught me that I am better off spacing out any anthropometric measurements (weight, BF, waist circumference). Those numbers can really mess with your mind, and it is best to give my body time to make changes so that small fluctuations over time don't hinder me mentally from achieving the big changes I know I can make if I allow for adequate time between measurements.

Archived