how much fat?

Runnermama

I'm about to finish my first Whole30 and it's been life changing, so thank you! I read the book, but after looking at these forums, I'm not sure I'm eating enough fat. Am I supposed to have 1-2 thumb sized portions in addition to the fat that I use to cook my protein and veggies? I have been pretty consistently hungry between lunch and dinner, and wonder if this is the cause (although not nearly as starving as I was pre-whole30!!). My primary health goal is weight loss so I don't want to overdo it on the fat, but I do want to follow the plan. Thanks!!

HI @Runnermama - yep, much of what you use for cooking remains in the pan, or is divided between portions if you cook in bulk, so it's good to add another fat source to your plate. It's difficult to over eat fat because it's very satiating but if you're finding you've added more fat and can happily go 8hrs without the need for more food that would be your indicator that you're adding too much...  You're aiming for that 4-5hr window.

Personally, if I were worried about fat loss, dietary fat would be the least of my worries. As it pertains to fat storage, carbs are easiest to store, protein can store if eaten in excess (by way of gluconeogenesis), and dietary fat is the most difficult to store. In other words, if you're going to go overboard on any of the macros, go overboard on fat. With that said, if you're eating healthy and 15+ lbs. overweight, you'll lose body fat regardless of your macros.

Archived