Starting February 15

MargretB

Hello!

I'm starting on Wednesday, February 15, is anyone else out there starting the same day? 

I'm most worried about getting bored with the food and sugar cravings. I have a plan for my breakfasts, which is to switch out my usual cheese stick with a hard boiled egg, and lunch is usually dinner leftovers anyway. I've been doing the "No-S" plan for a couple years now, so sweet things on the weekdays don't scare me, but I do usually indulge on the weekends and cutting that out will be hard. And also not enjoying happy hour on Friday nights...

BUT, I've been feeling so bloated and icky and tired lately, as well as dealing with some inflammation, that the chance for improvement is worth whatever challenges the program brings. My husband isn't doing it with me, but the only meal we share is dinner, and if he wants rice or bread on the side that's fine with me. Oh, I'm going to really miss milk a lot too. 

Any tips or encouragement is welcome! 

Hello MargretB and welcome to Whole30!

To get the most benefits, plan your meals around the meal template: 1-2 palms of protein (or as many eggs as you can hold in your hand, usually 3 or 2 and another protein source) PLUS fat PLUS veggies (1-3 cups but it's recommended you pile your plate with veggies. 

So, don't just eat one egg for breakfast or Meal 1 as we call it, and eat Meal 1 within one hour of waking. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

The meal template and lots of other helpful resources are in the Download section under The Whole30 menu item.

Thanks for the advice! I will be eating more than just the1 egg, I meant that I would be replacing the cheese stick with an egg and keeping the rest, which is already compliant. I definitely eat within an hour of waking up, but I get super nauseated if I eat too much that early so I don't think I'll be adding a second egg, at least at first. I might add a morning snack if I'm consistently getting hungry before lunch though, right now I don't eat between meals at all and it's not a habit I want to get into. The plan is more protein AND more good fat than I'm used to getting so there's definitely going to be some adjustment to the amount of food on my plates! 

Hi Margret, My husband and I are planning to start on the 15th. We did one but it was a couple of years ago, back before potatoes were allowed! I've been tryig to get back to clean eating but keep falling down; I need some hard and fast rules to get back on track. 

Last time I found that I did end up snacking in the first few days as my body adjusted and as I learned how much to make for each meal. But then I got back to my three meals a day habit. 

I can't even imagine doing it without potatoes! They are absolutely a staple in my house! Right now it doesn't seem like I'm going to have to to a 180 on my week-day eating/cooking habits, it just seems like I'll need to tweak details (coconut milk instead of regular, for example), but cutting out the extra indulgences I'm used to having a couple times a week (usually vanilla lattes) is going to be more challenging I think. I'm looking forward to this being a good general reset and maybe learning about whether anything I'm eating is contributing to how I'm feeling lately. 

Since you've done it before, do you have any other tips for me? I have my meals planned out for the first week and I'm going grocery shopping tonight, gearing up for Wednesday's start! 

Keep in touch about how you and your husband are doing as we go through this together! 

4 hours ago, MargretB said:

Thanks for the advice! I will be eating more than just the1 egg, I meant that I would be replacing the cheese stick with an egg and keeping the rest, which is already compliant. I definitely eat within an hour of waking up, but I get super nauseated if I eat too much that early so I don't think I'll be adding a second egg, at least at first. I might add a morning snack if I'm consistently getting hungry before lunch though, right now I don't eat between meals at all and it's not a habit I want to get into. The plan is more protein AND more good fat than I'm used to getting so there's definitely going to be some adjustment to the amount of food on my plates! 

Many people struggle with eating a template meal within one hour of waking. MANY! But the way through that is to plate up your template meal and then eat around the plate: protein, fat, veggies. Eat as much as you can, save the rest and continue as soon as you can. (Instead of a snack). It may only take a few days of this before you'll be looking forward to meal 1--especially when it carries you 4-5 hours. Or longer. 

Eating within one hour is necessary to balance your hormones and helps you become fat-adapted. 

I think having the meal plans in place like you said is really helpful -- at some point, you may be battling some cravings or "food fatigue" and it will be good to know beforehand what you're going to eat. Hmmm, I'm trying to remember any pertinent advice....Have you found the timeline that tells you what to expect for each day so you won't be surprised and overwhelmed? I would suggest making your schedule as "light" for the rest of this week as you can and be prepared to go to bed early. I would also suggest remembering that you can eat any Whole30 foods for breakfast (part of why it's called Meal 1, I guess) -- so don't get stuck on having eggs. And last time, having accountability partners on this forum really helped me through. Good luck -- I will try to check in -- it really helps me too!

On 2/13/2017 at 4:09 PM, ArtFossil said:

Okay, I'm going to do my best at eating all that food right away! I'm planning a 4-egg scramble for the morning with veggies and some potatoes. Thank you for the advice to just eat as much as I can to start out and then come back to it, that makes a lot of sense!

On 2/13/2017 at 4:34 PM, ksweet said:

I think having the meal plans in place like you said is really helpful -- at some point, you may be battling some cravings or "food fatigue" and it will be good to know beforehand what you're going to eat. Hmmm, I'm trying to remember any pertinent advice....Have you found the timeline that tells you what to expect for each day so you won't be surprised and overwhelmed? I would suggest making your schedule as "light" for the rest of this week as you can and be prepared to go to bed early. I would also suggest remembering that you can eat any Whole30 foods for breakfast (part of why it's called Meal 1, I guess) -- so don't get stuck on having eggs. And last time, having accountability partners on this forum really helped me through. Good luck -- I will try to check in -- it really helps me too!

I did find the timeline. I decided to start this week because my husband will be out of the house a lot for the next 3 weeks and work should be a lighter load than usual so hopefully the adjustments won't hurt anyone else too much! And I'm all about an early bedtime! 

For Meal 1, right now I am planning on mostly eggs on the weekdays but on trying out some of the more involved recipes I've found for the weekends. Luckily I do actually like eggs so hopefully I won't get too sick of them too soon. They're quick and easy, and I'm planning on eating my dinner leftovers for lunch so I don't want to plan on making whole new things each morning when I'm rushing to get out the door. 

Are you ready for tomorrow? I didn't make the grocery store yesterday so I'm heading there right now. 

So far, so good, but it's only just past lunch time here! I already drink my coffee black and don't snack, so that's not hard, but I anticipate missing my usual big glass of milk with dinner! 

Habit-wise, I'm expecting this weekend to be more challenging. I don't snack or have desserts during the week days, but the temptation to indulge over my 3-day weekend is going to be strong!

16 minutes ago, Sjc1944 said:

Morning, 

this is Day 2 for me also.

i have shopped for compliant food and been "eating towards this". But I'm struggling with mapping out a food plan. I've never done that and that part is the most daunting for me!

Not everyone plans. :) I just made mayo, mad ghee, stocked up on proteins and vegetables (fresh and frozen) and played it by ear, combining whatever I felt like but always making sure I cooked enough at dinner for at least one more meal.

So my plan is really more of a guideline. Scrambles for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, and for dinners I know what my main protein will be each night. So Sunday is roast night, Monday is fish, tonight is sausage, tomorrow is red meat (probably burgers) and a plan for either salad or roasted veggies on the side. Last night was chicken, and on a break at work I looked up whole30 chicken recipes and decided on this one: http://creativehomekeeper.com/coconut-chicken-gf-df-paleo-whole-30-approved/

Margret, hope you're doing well this weekend -- hang in there and take lots of naps. 

I found out I'm expecting so.....my Whole30 will probably have to wait until my second trimester :) I just didn't like saying I would be on here for support and then disappearing. 

Good luck -- you will feel wonderful!

4 hours ago, ksweet said:

Margret, hope you're doing well this weekend -- hang in there and take lots of naps. 

I found out I'm expecting so.....my Whole30 will probably have to wait until my second trimester :) I just didn't like saying I would be on here for support and then disappearing. 

Good luck -- you will feel wonderful!

Congratulations, what wonderful news! I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy! 

Archived