Suddenly Feeling Extremely Faint, Day 45

Leigh T

I've been greatly enjoying my extended Whole30; My medical symptoms have greatly reduced, I have more energy and wake up easier, and it's been easier to make more healthy decisions on a regular basis. I'm on Day 46, and yesterday I had something really strange and kind of scary happen; I was cooking dinner when I suddenly got extremely faint and light-headed. I had to lay down on the cold tile floor for several minutes. It passed eventually, and I got back to finishing dinner, taking it really easy and sitting whenever I could. However, later that evening, I was watching a movie. Just sitting on the couch, and I had three more faint spells. I repeatedly had to get up and lay on the floor, and getting a cold pack really helped too. This morning I had a little one too.

Some things that could be involved: I've been working out pretty consistently almost every day, however it's not always very intense exercise. Tuesdays and Thursdays I go to a bouldering gym, Wednesdays and Fridays I jog for about 25 minutes, and the last two weekends I've been skiing 2-3 hours a day. Also, for the last two weeks, I've been really good about staying hydrated, drinking at least 72 ounces of water a day. I also had a mild cold last week that really felt like it cleared up yesterday (just a stuffy nose).

Maybe this is a sodium thing, or a not eating enough calories thing? It's just so weird to me that it's happening at day 45, when I've been in this since January. I don't ever remember getting spells like this. I'd love any advice. (Will also talk to my doctor.)

Here are my meals from the last few days:

Thursday 16 February: Day 43

B: Sweet and Savory Vegetables, quarter Sweet Potato, half Grapefruit, 2 Boiled Eggs
L: Perfect Ground Meat on Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce

D: Beef Stew made with Elk Meat

Friday 17 February: Day 44

B: 2 Boiled Eggs, Tuna Asian Protein Salad, Fried Plantains

L: Beef Stew made with Elk Meat, half Grapefruit

Snack: Perfect Ground Meat on Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce (few bites)
D: Leftovers: Perfect Ground Meat on Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce, Fried Plantains, Elk Stew

Saturday 18 February: Day 45

B: Sweet Potato with Avocado Mayo, 2 Salted Boiled Eggs

L: Sweet Potato with Avocado Mayo, 2 Salted Boiled Eggs

D: Grilled Seasoned Chicken, Sauteed Kale with Lemon and Almonds, Roasted Beets and Carrots

I'm a newbie here, but it when I look at your meals I notice a couple of things. 

1. When eggs are your protein, you probably need more than 2. How many eggs can you hold in one hand?

2. Many meals are missing fat. It looks like you only added fat to your meals on day 45.

3. What about pre/post workout meals? 

4. Are you salting your food? 

1 hour ago, Dreamlet said:

I'm a newbie here, but it when I look at your meals I notice a couple of things. 

1. When eggs are your protein, you probably need more than 2. How many eggs can you hold in one hand?

2. Many meals are missing fat. It looks like you only added fat to your meals on day 45.

3. What about pre/post workout meals? 

4. Are you salting your food? 

1. I could probably do with more eggs when I eat them. Usually I eat more protein when it's not eggs (eggs aren't my favorite so I don't eat them very often). I could hold 3 in one hand.

2. The protein salad has mayo in it, but you make a good point. I snack on fruit and nut bars when hungry (not cravings) between meals, but I have tried to cut that out very recently as I started breaking out and read that the dried fruit and nuts could be the culprit. I may need to start paying more attention to including some fat at each meal.

3. I don't often have a pre-workout meal. My post-workout meals just tend to be lunch or dinner, as that's how the timing usually works out.

4. Yes, I salt my food.

I'm seeing a lot of starchy veg here, and if you'd been snacking previously on fruit & nuts that would add up to quite a substantial amount of sugar.

I definitely think if you swapped out some of the starchy veg for NON starchy veg (cabbage, zucchini, bok choi, mushrooms, onions, peppers, spinach etc etc etc), increased the protein, & added fat to every meal it would help keep blood sugar levels more stable, and prevent what may have been a low blood sugar episode.

I'd also include a postWO meal of a lean protein following any kind of a WO that significantly raises your heart rate. A few bites is all you'd need & you could follow up with your next meal 30mins or so later.

Thinking back, I definitely think that making sure I add fat is NOT something that I regularly do. I will make a point of doing that in the future (have already tried to start). I'll make an effort to plan some small things to eat after my runs also. Thanks for the advice!

Archived