Vegetarian/Vegan Whole30-ish Log

RabbitFood

Started March 1, 2017

Day 2 meals, approximate measurements:

B: 2 cups of carrots roasted in walnut oil, handful of whole cashews

L: 1/2 cup sauteed baby portobellos, 2 cups raw spinach, 1/2 cup chickpeas, 2 tbsp walnut oil

D: 2 cups kale, steamed, 2/3 cup peas, 1/2 cup homemade avocado dressing

Didn't feel hungry for breakfast but definitely feeling hungry for lunch!  Headache is starting.  Maybe a nap will be part of my lunch?

One goal for this reset: Stop snacking on fake food products.

The funny thing is, at home I don't really snack on fake food (cookies, candy corn, gummies, semisweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate bars, cookies, kit kats, and cookies).  

At the office, it is a different story.  

I'm very satisfied right now.  I finished lunch an hour ago.  It had veggies and fat and beans.  I'm not hungry at all.  And yet, the snack dragon is calling my name.  The habit is so strong that I feel empty without a snack, like I am missing something in my hand and in my mouth.  Maybe binge, instead of snack, is the more appropriate term?

Day 3

1: Bananas, oranges, cashews

2: spinach, walnut oil, chickpeas, nutritional yeast, oranges

3: To be determined.

Man I've thought about quitting all day.  Not because I'm hungry.  I. Just. Want. Candy.

But I haven't quit.  Ideally, my breakfast would not have consisted of fruit.  And, ideally, my lunch would not have included fruit.

On a positive note, I have not stuffed my face with the candy and chocolate I want to stuff my face with.  And, although I want to quit to eat candy, I have not, no, I will not quit . . . Right?

Tough conversation at work = "hunger" pangs in my tummy

Does that mean that all these years my hunger pangs were stress and/or anxiety?

Why do tough conversations give me that feeling?  Because I have A LOT of tough conversations at work and I would like to keep working.  Makes me question whether I am cut out for my line of work.  Not that I know what I would do instead . . .

Day 3

Meal 3. Bleh.

Salad no dressing. Eddemame. Avocado.

Learning opportunity for sure.  Are a japanese restaurant. Unless you want fries food or food covered in mayo there are not many vegetable options. But now I know.

Dinner was not enough so when I got home I had a meal 4. Medium carrot with 1 tablespoon of almond butter. Not the best.

My success of the day was not eating candy at the movies!  That feels great!

Day 4

Meal 1. Suateed kale with chickpeas and avocado dressing (Love this homemade avocado dressing!)

PreWO almond butter and cashews

Meal 2. Cooked celery and peas, raw spinach, topped with lemon cashew cream sauce. (Not feeling this sauce.)

Meal 3. Huge bowl mixed greens topped with mint, cilantro, bean sprouts, shredded carrots, two cherry tomatoes, chopped cucumber, and sauteed zucchini and bell peppers. Dried coconut to finish off the meal.

Loved breakfast! I'll be making the avocado dressing for sure.

My experiment with a cashew sauce didn't workout. My food processor doesn't puree things like it should. Or I don't have the patience to wait for the processor to do its job. Idk.

But meal two definitely filled me up. I was really full afterwards and didn't get hungry for a long time. Good to know a 1/2 cup of cashews will keep me full!

Dinner was really good. But it didn't have a protein source like beans or lentils. Which is probably why I had a bite of almond later thinking I was starving. 

Day 4 Today is Sunday. Did some veggie roasting and protein (vegan) prepping.

Meal 1. Green beans with lots of coconut oil, banana, almond butter.

Meal 2. Mashed turnip with chives and truffle oil, peas with Olive oil, roasted carrots and beets.

Mini-meal. 9 Cashews and tangelo.

Definitely got snack-y when I didnt have much to do.  

Struggling with figguring out dinner. Hubby is not into this.  Why don't more restaurants offer salads and veggies?!  

Brain tantrum so bad right now!  Like so bad!

Struggling hard to not eat chocolate chips and/or candy!  This is the reason I started the whole30-ish experiment.  So that I don't graze chocolate chips and/or candy all day.  The feeling is real though.  I've been at work less than two hours and I have had to talk myself down four times already.  

Is the habit of it that makes me want to do it?  Is it because I am anxious or stressed?  I just had a phone call with a customer.  Not a bad one but I was disappointed that I couldn't deliver by the date we had originally targeted.  Granted it was only a target and assumed the customer would complete specific things, which he didn't.  But the feeling is still there.  After the phone call ended, I just want to reach for a handful of chocolate chips and/or candy.  I actually want to cry a little bit . . . over chocolate.

So, yes. #tantrum

Cravings passed but I thought to myself "I tots (short for totally) want a snack", then "I'm going to eat one of those oranges freshly picked from my colleagues orange tree."

But, I stopped myself and asked if I was hungry.  "Would I eat steamed fish and broccoli right now?" Umm. . . no. 

Interesting because I feel a little grumble in my tummy yet, even with my love of broccoli, I wouldn't really it right now.  Hmmm.  

Yesterday was Day 6

Day 6 Meals

Meal 1. 

Meal 2. 2 cups chopped romaine, 1 cup roasted beets (roasted in walnut oil), 1/2 cup split peas, 2 tbsp walnut oil, salt, mini grapefruit

Meal 3. Amazing potato salad! I should have added protein to this meal.  The potato salad was amazing and distracted me.  Link to recipe: http://cookieandkate.com/2015/herbed-red-potato-salad-recipe/

Fought the Sugar Dragon all day yesterday.  I was getting a little hungry late afternoon, was supposed to workout, and, thus, tempted to eat an orange for energy.  I decided not to eat the orange because my body would take it as sugar and I am trying to starve the sugar dragon.

Just remember Day 6, Meal 1 was about 1 cup mashed turnips with olive oil (1.5 to 2 tbsp), 1/2 cup split peas, sliced banana.

Day 7

Meal 1. 1/2 cup split peas, 1 cup roasted carrots (roasted in walnut oil), closed handful of pumpkin seeds, large orange

Meal 2.  2 cups chopped romaine, 1 cup roasted beets (roasted in walnut oil), 1/2 cup split peas, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, mini grapefruit, tangelo.  Note: olive oil is a waaaay better salad topping than walnut oil.  I'm going to stick to walnut oil for roasting.

Day 7 Meal 3. Lots of kale sauteed (down to less than 2 cups :() with 2 tbsp coconut oil, salt, some leftover amazing potato salad, 1/4 c. chickpeas, sprinkle of black sesame seeds.  Realized it was not enough food.  Plus, I ate super late and was famished.  Added a tangelo and 16 olives.

Today is Day 8.  I feel great that I completed 7 days!  

I did wake up this morning thinking I was two weeks in . . . and then I realized it wasn't day 15, only day 8.  The desire to quit is lower today but I still want to quit.  I just want to eat chocolate chips.  I keep reading the forum for motivation and success stories.  However, being in the moment of whole30 day 8, its hard to think I have 21 days to go, 21 days to think about quitting, 21 days to think about sugar alllllll day.  

#NSV: I don't have a stomach ache at the end of the day from consuming sugar and wax (in the candy!) mindlessly.  

Why am I doing this again?  Clear skin, to eliminate face flushing, maybe I'll sleep better, maybe I'll think clearer . . . but mainly because my face.  Here's to clear skin that is not red!

Day 8

Meal 1. 1/2 cup split peas, olive oil (2 tbsp?), apple slices (three cups) (it was a really large apple!)

Meal 2.  2 cups chopped romaine, 1 cup leftover amazing potato salad, 1/2 cup split peas, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, orange

Pre-WO. 1/2 cup split peas

Day 8.

Meal 3. 1 cup split peas, 1/2 cup roasted carrots, 2 cups sauteed celery with a ton of coconut oil, salt, tbsp cashew butter.

I planned that extra serving of protein (1/2 cup split peas) because I've been very hungry.  Probably because I need to add more veggies for Meal 1.

Since Day 10 is around when most people quit, I booked a spa treatment to celebrate making it this far.  I couldn't quit yesterday.  Even after the treatment I still kind of want to quit.  I want to go back to my old habit of grazing on chocolate chips.  So much so that I think about how nice it would have been to not have the celebratory spa treatment so that I could just quit.  

Part of what keeps me going is reading the post from someone that chose to eat non-compliant on day 14 or so.  She said, after the fact, that it wasn't worth it.  It wasn't worth 14 days of clean healthy eating to have wine and cheese.  I'm telling myself that after 10 days (9.5) of clean eating it would not be worth it to eat chocolate.

Day 10

Meal 3. Veggie fajitas, lots of salsa, guacamole, black beans, shredded lettuce, and Pico di Gallo. . .

. . . and then I came home and ate two tangelos and too many dried baby bananas . . .

Do I have to start my whole30 over??????????

Day 13

Meal 1. 1 cup steamed carrots, 1 cups steamed chard, 2 tbsp of coconut oil, cashew cookie larabar

Stomach ache all day yesterday and into today.  My appetite is not great so I packed a small meal 1.  Then realized it was not enough.  Ate a larabar so that I could wait to eat my lunch (and also so that I wouldn't eat the cookies and chocolate in the office).

Almost ate a pumpkin mellowcreme.  Twice.  Then set one on my desk to think about eating it.  Glad I didn't eat it because only 16.5 days to go. 

Meal 2. 2 cups dino kale, 1 cup carrots, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 cup lentils, 10 olives

Stomach still funny but I was definitely ready for lunch.  I could eat so much more, too.  Not because i am not eating enough.  I'm just so used to grazing all day.  It's much easier not to graze when I am not at my desk/at work. 

Snack.  Had to.  Didn't eat enough for Meals 1 and 2 and felt faint.  Obviously a lone apple is not the best choice #sugar but it hit the spot.  I haven't felt that hungry in a looong time.  It didn't help that yesterday and today my food was likely light because my tummy hurt. 

Day 14

Meal 1. 1/2 cup lentils, 1 cup  celery sauteed with coconut oil, 1 cup steamed carrots, 1.5 tbsp coconut oil.

I'm getting really lazy on the meal prep.  I need to kick it up and make some sauces.  Maybe the avocado dressing again?

P.S. Still would like to finish all my meals with chocolate and/or candy. 

Archived