Basic Mayonaise Fail to Emulsify

Tree360

I have been making the Basic Mayonnaise recipe for several months now. I tried making it the other day and it would not emulsify. Has any body else had this problem and what causes it. All my ingredients were at room temp. Is it the freshness of the eggs? or The olive oil?

• Moderators

Google 'whole30 mayo fail' and you'll get tons of results with tips and tricks to help try and save your mayo or if it can't be saved, ideas for what to use it with...there should also be discussion around why it happens.

I'm sure you've found some great tips already, but if not: I had the same problem and I just added another room-temperature egg and it tightened right up. Downside, the end result was very. . . eggy. . .in taste, but would be fine with some additional seasoning, like in the buffalo or ranch recipes.

I have been making mayo since day one (on day 18 now) and haven't had any issues.

BUT today I can't make it emulsify! I had room temp eggs and lemon juice, and it wouldn't emulsify on the first step. I tried it again, and again, and still have not had a successful batch, just poured about 1 cup of olive oil and 4 eggs down the drain. Super bummed because I use this - A LOT. Don't know whether to go buy different eggs or  just give up for the day, waiting for another day when the mayo gods are smiling. Frustrating!

Archived