Starting 2 weeks from today, April 17

Nancy Kny

Kenzie-

Scroll through this page and read the success stories.  Look at the pictures.  Read what pizza and junk food do to your insides.  The thing that has hands down helped me the most has been EDUCATING myself.  While your roommates are eating those things, read about them.  Off the top of my head, I recall that peanuts are the only protein nut that we digest very poorly.  So while it does have protein, it's creating problems in your gut that to me make it so easy to say no thanks.  Also....I took about a week and "practiced".  I worked up to coffee with only almond milk.  I cut out carbs almost exclusively.  I didn't eat treats but still there was sugar in some of my food.  I stopped drinking except for one night at the beach.  It is truly an education and a discipline.  If you haven't read the book Whole 30, stop what you are doing and go to Amazon and get it.  It will help you immensely.  One other ditty from the book....if you can't tell between hunger and craving - in your mind, offer yourself a boiled egg.  If you eat it, you were hungry.  If you don't eat it, it was a craving.  Chug water and go outside.  Cravings generally pass in about 5 minutes.  I don't have any now.....NO KIDDING!  Would I enjoy a glass of wine, yep.  But I would not have one now, because I'm so excited to see what 30 days of Food Freedom looks like on me.  Good luck and keep chatting.  Facebook has a great page Keep Calm and Whole 30 On.  Find it and ask to join.  It is amazing encouragement and support.  You chose to do this - remember why!  What you eat is completely in your control.  Don't give that control to your roommates or your psyche!  YOU DESERVE THIS 30 DAYS!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Nancy Kny said:

Kenzie-

Scroll through this page and read the success stories.  Look at the pictures.  Read what pizza and junk food do to your insides.  The thing that has hands down helped me the most has been EDUCATING myself.  While your roommates are eating those things, read about them.  Off the top of my head, I recall that peanuts are the only protein nut that we digest very poorly.  So while it does have protein, it's creating problems in your gut that to me make it so easy to say no thanks.  Also....I took about a week and "practiced".  I worked up to coffee with only almond milk.  I cut out carbs almost exclusively.  I didn't eat treats but still there was sugar in some of my food.  I stopped drinking except for one night at the beach.  It is truly an education and a discipline.  If you haven't read the book Whole 30, stop what you are doing and go to Amazon and get it.  It will help you immensely.  One other ditty from the book....if you can't tell between hunger and craving - in your mind, offer yourself a boiled egg.  If you eat it, you were hungry.  If you don't eat it, it was a craving.  Chug water and go outside.  Cravings generally pass in about 5 minutes.  I don't have any now.....NO KIDDING!  Would I enjoy a glass of wine, yep.  But I would not have one now, because I'm so excited to see what 30 days of Food Freedom looks like on me.  Good luck and keep chatting.  Facebook has a great page Keep Calm and Whole 30 On.  Find it and ask to join.  It is amazing encouragement and support.  You chose to do this - remember why!  What you eat is completely in your control.  Don't give that control to your roommates or your psyche!  YOU DESERVE THIS 30 DAYS!

Thank you! I have been actively watching my diet since December, but I would allow myself little indulgences here and there! When I don't have a strict challenge hanging over my head I will usually diet more loosely, so that's why I am super stoked about the Whole30! M friend has the book and I have read through it a few times! I feel great during the day its just when I go home and see all the things I cant have it makes me sad, but on the other hand when I wake up and realize I haven't cheated once I feel amazing about myself! I

I did like Nancy did and "practiced" for about a week of mostly going Whole30 before officially starting and I think that has helped me not feel to terrible during this first week. I know my husband is feeling pretty terrible right now and I wish there were something I could do for him other than just encourage him to not give up. His Sugar Dragon rages more rampantly than mine...

Here are my day 2 and 3 eating updates (was too busy to post yesterday):

Day 2 breakfast: sauteed onions, bell peppers and leftover grilled potatoes with spicy seasoned ground pork and a fried egg on top

Day 2 lunch: salad with leftover grilled tritip and a bunch of veggies, avocado and basil infused balsamic vinegar and olive oil, plus an apple

Day 2 dinner: grilled salmon, grilled asparagus and grilled sweet potatoes (love that my hubby loves his barbecue)

I also had a compliant LARA bar in the middle of the afternoon because I was so hungry. I realize that I have way too much time between lunch and dinner so I need to start planning a healthy snack/mini meal. Was glad to have the LARA bar so I was able to stay compliant and not be a huge grouch all afternoon.

Day 3 breakfast: leftovers from day 2 breakfast mixed in with scrambled eggs

Day 3 lunch: salad with leftover grilled salmon, veggies, avocado and basil infused balsamic vinegar and olive oil, plus some fresh pineapple

Day 4 dinner: I was attending a banquet for work and was really nervous about being able to stay compliant. I ate some pistachios, and roast beef roll ups (veggies inside) before going so I wasn't hungry and then avoided the passed appetizers and open bar. I had my dinner salad without dressing or cheese, ate the oven baked steak plain as well as the steamed veggies, and avoided the creamy mashed potatoes and the dessert. I'm pretty sure everything I ate was compliant and I feel good about it. That was my first real test of eating outside of home cooked meals and it went better than expected. On my drive home (over an hour) I had an RX bar mostly just because I needed something to get me home.

Can't believe I've made it to day 4 and still going strong! How is everyone else doing? How are people feeling? I haven't noticed too much of a problem other than being tired, but my hubby was definitely cranky this morning (don't tell him I said that)!

8 minutes ago, kenziemichelee said:

Thank you! I have been actively watching my diet since December, but I would allow myself little indulgences here and there! When I don't have a strict challenge hanging over my head I will usually diet more loosely, so that's why I am super stoked about the Whole30! M friend has the book and I have read through it a few times! I feel great during the day its just when I go home and see all the things I cant have it makes me sad, but on the other hand when I wake up and realize I haven't cheated once I feel amazing about myself! I

I'm right there with you Kenzie. Without having the strict rules of this program it's been way to easy to find excuses and exceptions to eat something unhealthy. I am loving how awesome it feels to know that this time I'm sticking through it. I'm hoping that high will carry me through the tough days. Good job and keep it up!

1 minute ago, amanda_kathryn said:

I'm right there with you Kenzie. Without having the strict rules of this program it's been way to easy to find excuses and exceptions to eat something unhealthy. I am loving how awesome it feels to know that this time I'm sticking through it. I'm hoping that high will carry me through the tough days. Good job and keep it up!

It will! I hope you all have taken before pictures, because all I have to do is look at those to keep myself motivated and just the simple fact that it might only be day 4, but we still have come along way! I don't want to mess things up so that's why I joined this group! I am so excited to keep hearing about everyone's day and journey! Keep up the awesome work: we are all in this together!:)

Been a good four days so far!  Wonderful meals, cooked or eating out as I've had to do a few times.   A friend and I text each other pictures back and forth all the time of compliant foods we find and meals we make so that really helps so much! 

21 minutes ago, Lea Mint said:

Been a good four days so far!  Wonderful meals, cooked or eating out as I've had to do a few times.   A friend and I text each other pictures back and forth all the time of compliant foods we find and meals we make so that really helps so much! 

What have you gotten when you eat out? That is the part that stresses me out. I know I can be compliant and make delicious food at home but I worry about what to get if I'm eating out.

13 hours ago, Julie76 said:

Hi,

I started on the 19th. Would love to join you all.

:) Julie

Of course!  I am on Day 5 and feeling very very good.  Last night I wanted to eat at about 9:30.  Roamed the kitchen and came up with an apple and seltzer water.  Still felt annoyed that I was eating so late, regardless of what it was.  Good news - 2 apple bites and I was "cured"!  My body is getting in the groove.  Good luck!

Okay, so I am pretty positive I didn't cheat yesterday, but I would just like someone to confirm that for me. I bought almond butter last night and put it on a banana and I also had a pack of seaweed with no preservatives and no artificial flavoring. I felt very satisfied after those and since they were so good I am concerned I may have cheated in some way. The Almond Butter literally just had almonds in the ingredients and the seaweed didn't have anything off limits either! HELP! Why do I feel like I cheated?!

18 minutes ago, kenziemichelee said:

Okay, so I am pretty positive I didn't cheat yesterday, but I would just like someone to confirm that for me. I bought almond butter last night and put it on a banana and I also had a pack of seaweed with no preservatives and no artificial flavoring. I felt very satisfied after those and since they were so good I am concerned I may have cheated in some way. The Almond Butter literally just had almonds in the ingredients and the seaweed didn't have anything off limits either! HELP! Why do I feel like I cheated?!

Is it because you feel like you snacked?  The food you ate appears to be compliant.  You are at the beginning of your Whole30, so some snacks/mini meals may be necessary to get you through.  It sounds to me like you are in great shape, rule wise.  Now, get in great shape with your confidence.  Be your own cheerleader!  You are on Day 5 and sounds like you are paying close attention to the details!  You've got this.  Happy Friday and be strong this weekend :-)

-Nancy

You're right Nancy ! I just cant believe I am actually doing this and doing it the right way at that! I am getting better with cravings, but I keep snacking on celery and cucumber just to stay level through the day and also so when I eat a meal I will feel satisfied after! I feel great for day 5 and it feels good to have all you guys with me! Stay focused on the bigger picture this weekend and know you are going to feel even better come Monday; knowing you over came the first week of Whole30! :lol:

Hi there,

I'd love to join in. I started my 3rd Whole30 on Monday 17th. I've been eating Whole30-ish for about 3 years : 85% compliant, but I seem to be slacking lately. So time to start again.

Can't wait to get to the tigerblood-phase! 

Good luck to all of you.

K.

Good morning! Day 6!

Not going to lie, I came really close to making a big cheat and saying "oh well, I'll try another time" because I got really, really bad news that ordinarily would lead me straight to a grocery or convenience store for ice cream and candy. Instead I called my sister as I was driving (thinking as I traveled of all the places I could get off the highway for a treat), told her about what I was yearning to do and she talked me through it. Reminded me that there is never going to be a perfect time to do something like this and yeah, this is one of those times that she herself indulged in food and wine to drown out her feelings because unfortunately we were raised with food as a coping mechanism, but this W30 is something purely for my benefit and something she believed I needed to succeed in. I decided to do this as a reset and I want to feel better! I'm stronger than sugar. She made me picture myself after the 30 days and how accomplished I will feel in the end. She challenged me to make it to ten days and she promised once I'm done with ten, another ten won't seem so hard and the last ten will be a breeze. At least that was her experience. And although I don't believe her 100%, she said I won't really like processed candy if I stick to this. So I indulged in a beautiful piece of salmon and savored a salad with tomato and avocado and really paid attention to the flavors and textures to satisfy that yearning. And then watched two episodes of the Dick Van Dike show with some pistachios for some laughs. 

I wanted to share that all with you in case you don't have someone you can call like I did in that moment of need. And for those who haven't had a perfect first few days like me. I didn't consider myself to have a bad diet but I guess I'm going through sugar withdrawals big time. I'd like to report that I've felt tired, headachy and yesterday afternoon into evening I felt indigestion and bloating. I'm feeling sucky on top of that bad news looming over my head but I'm still with you guys!! The harder the fight the sweeter the win I guess. 

Have a great day all! I have faith you can do this. :)

So my first weekend on whole 30 is getting off to a rough start. :( I avoided birthday cake, pizza, chips and alcohol last night at a party but may have slipped getting sweet potato fries from a restaurant. They sounded compliant and I even asked for them to be baked not fried. I don't know if it's just because I ate them so late at night or because they cooked them in a bad oil or what but getting up this morning my stomach feels heavy and bloated. 

I would hate to think after avoiding all those foods I messed up with sweet potato fries when I wasn't even trying to eat non-compliantly. What do I do? Start over or keep going and try to make a better choice when I have to go out to a different restaurant tonight?

23 hours ago, Nancy Kny said:

Of course!  I am on Day 5 and feeling very very good.  Last night I wanted to eat at about 9:30.  Roamed the kitchen and came up with an apple and seltzer water.  Still felt annoyed that I was eating so late, regardless of what it was.  Good news - 2 apple bites and I was "cured"!  My body is getting in the groove.  Good luck!

I did the same thing! I had a handful of blackberries and I was done!

Day 8 and time for motivation.  It's been an easy week before but back at work and exhausted and meal prepping is less easy.   And I miss coffee so bad. I just can't drink it black.  I can't do it.   It has to be sweet. Not because I have a sweet bug (I don't drink anything but water alcohol and coffee) but the taste.  I like the taste of coffee but not the bitter.   Ugh.  

Keep me motivated!!!

11 minutes ago, Lea Mint said:

Day 8 and time for motivation.  It's been an easy week before but back at work and exhausted and meal prepping is less easy.   And I miss coffee so bad. I just can't drink it black.  I can't do it.   It has to be sweet. Not because I have a sweet bug (I don't drink anything but water alcohol and coffee) but the taste.  I like the taste of coffee but not the bitter.   Ugh.  

Keep me motivated!!!

Have you tried sprinkling some cinnamon and some coconut milk in your coffee? I thought coffee without my normal creamer was going to be the hardest thing for me because I love the flavor but not the bitter of coffee too and I've found that the coconut milk and cinnamon are working ok for me. It's not the same as with the creamer but it is still good, just different. I've also heard that the brand of creamer "Nutpods" is good too -and is compliant. Don't give up your coffee! Just find a compliant way to drink it :)

Made it to day 8 and happy to report that my hubby and I were successful over a long weekend full of activities. Truthfully, I was much more worried about the weekends than the weekdays and I'm so happy we made it through. I am off of work every other Friday and my hubby is a stay at home dad, so we had a three day weekend this week. Friday I spent the morning taking both of my kids to doctors and dentist appointments, and then in the afternoon I was lucky enough to have time to go swim at the local ymca. It was my first time having to figure out pre/post exercise snacks and I am really glad I read up on the rules because I think it helped keep my energy up and level during the whole workout. Otherwise I most likely would have had fruit and I now know that isn't recommended. I also spent a bunch of time on Friday prepping for the rest of the weekends meals which turned out to be a huge success - probably wouldn't have made it through the rest of the weekend had I not done that.

On Saturday my hubby, mom and I did a 5k mud run and it was awesome! I'd done one before but it was my mom's first and she was nervous (for no reason). Ultimately she ended up winning her age group and we were so proud of her. The thing that worried me most about that was afterward the food they have available always seems so good (like a cold beer) and I knew we wouldn't be able to find anything compliant out there. Luckily I was prepared. In our cooler I had packed us water bottles with pieces of cut up strawberry in them so by the time we were done with our run our strawberry infused water was absolutely perfect! I need to remember to infuse my water more often. We had a coconut/banana/pineapple smoothie when we first got home (it was like 90 degrees here in southern California) which was perfect in the heat and for a Saturday afternoon. Then by the time we got cleaned up we were both so exhausted that neither of us was going to have the energy to cook dinner. Luckily having leftovers in the fridge kept us on track- preparation really is the difference maker here.

Sunday was more or less a lazy day after we got home from church. I did some grocery shopping, we did our meal planning for the week, and then we did some food prep. My daughter and I also had our first experience making home made gnocchi, which is one of our favorite foods (and sadly not compliant when it is store bought). It wasn't very difficult but it did take us a long time. It was pretty good too - and I know she was so proud of herself for making gnocchi from scratch. Here's to hoping I can instill some good food habits in her while she is still young!

Good luck with this week everyone! We made it through the hardest week of the whole program! Woohoo!!

This weekend was definitely testing my self-control. I babysat my friends son this weekend and she told me they had just went grocery shopping so I could just eat at her place! YAY, right? Actually no, she made chicken, but it was covered in butter and breadcrumbs. She had salad in the fridge, but it already have dressing on it and I didn't want to eat something that could potentially make me start over... So I ate one of her avocados and some of her fruit. Not a great dinner, but hey I am still here pushing through.

Sunday was hard as well because that's when we ride our dirtbikes and when we go out riding and relaxing.. naturally: we drink beer and eat junk... but instead I brought my Kambucha and some healthy alternatives like an orange and pistachios! I am getting better about being around food that I cant have but want to eat... I can make my boyfriend PB&J's and not cry anymore
;) I feel like the hardest part about not eating the foods you grew up on are the memories you have with them and the "traditions" you start associate them with, like Sunday, ditbikes & beer... Its all about breaking free from those "traditions" and creating new connections with healthier foods & drinks!

I am ready to see where our next few weeks take us!

Happy one week everyone!

I don't know if I am the only one that feels this way, but today was the worst I have felt since we started the Whole30. Day 8 Definitely lives up to its reputation like she wrote in her book. I woke up groggy and I feel completely bloated! UGh. This doesn't make me want to cheat though... Thankfully! It is actually making me want to work more on the time I eat and start to make cuts with all the snacks I am eating too...don't know about you, but I have been snacking throughout the day still.. So I think its time to start getting more strict on the times I eat my meals and the time I can snack and not have it go against my goals.

Always have to look on the brighter side! Hang in there everyone! Welcome to DAY 8!

5 minutes ago, kenziemichelee said:

I don't know if I am the only one that feels this way, but today was the worst I have felt since we started the Whole30. Day 8 Definitely lives up to its reputation like she wrote in her book. I woke up groggy and I feel completely bloated! UGh. This doesn't make me want to cheat though... Thankfully! It is actually making me want to work more on the time I eat and start to make cuts with all the snacks I am eating too...don't know about you, but I have been snacking throughout the day still.. So I think its time to start getting more strict on the times I eat my meals and the time I can snack and not have it go against my goals.

Always have to look on the brighter side! Hang in there everyone! Welcome to DAY 8!

Day 8 was okay for me, but it made my daughter crazy.  She's on this too and was so tired and grumpy (her words!).  I do not snack, as a rule.  Last evening I wanted a muffin that I'd bought my kiddos (just a mini...) so I had a handful of blackberries and the desire for the muffin was gone.  Schedule your meals.  Today for me 830-130-630.  My breakfast was late, not till 9.  But I'll still eat lunch at 130 to keep my dinner on target, since end of day is hardest for me.  I've been leaving fruit and nuts off my plate in case I need a pick me up along a day, I use those.  If your plates are full and you eat slowly, and enjoy it, you should really be able to get through 5 hours without snacks.  Read the way your plate should look in the book...protein, healthy fat, veggies galore, maybe fruit/nuts.  Also, get fruit infused seltzer and drink, drink, drink.  And I read...if you want a snack, offer yourself a hard boiled egg.  If you don't want to eat that, it's a craving, not hunger.  Go outside with a water and wander around for 5 minutes.  The craving will pass.  If you want the egg, then you've eaten great protein and should feel satisfied.  So, I use that trick and I always talk about my meals as fuel...fueling my body.  It runs best on 5 hour fuel pit stops.  Put the right stuff in to get the most out.  You wouldn't put salt water in your gas tank, right?  Good luck!  #ICanIWillRock30

2 hours ago, kenziemichelee said:

Day 8 was the worst for me so far too and it surprised me. I actually had to double take and think about all the food I had eaten earlier in the day and the day before to make sure I hadn't accidentally cheated - which I hadn't! Sorry you had a crappy day 8 too but I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Hopefully things get easier from here on out :)

Archived