My Journal as a Traveling CRA on Whole 30

Shenanigans

Hi there.  So to start, a little about me. I am 44, female, Type 1 Diabetic on the insulin pump, very physically active, and I travel @ 3 days/week for work, spending much time in airports, hotels, and hospitals.  I decided to start the Whole 30 after hearing about it and mulling it over. I suffer very frequently from gas, bloating, and BM issues, and cannot pinpoint the cause, often blaming stress or travel, not so much foods.  But as I start this journey I see that although I thought I was eating healthy, I have also developed bad habits - mostly evening snacking/binging. My snacks and binging are granola bars, popcorn, etc., NOT fried foods (haven't eaten fast-food type food since in my 20's).  So this is my journey, and I hope I will discover what ails me, and get back to a more healthy lifestyle. There are a few entries here attached, that I was logging privately and figured I would start on this forum. Moving forward I will record here. :D

Whole 30 Daily Diary.docx

27Apr2017: Woke up feeling great! Went to the gym, was a little fatigued but muscled through elliptical for 40 mins, planks and one leg stand-ups. Had ½ a banana, then went down to breakfast (so weird). I had eggs with salsa, unsure if compliant eggs but what the hell. Also some cantaloupe and a few sips of grapefruit juice. Tummy moved around a bit, but subsided. For lunch I had compliant guacamole and salsa (altogether @ ½ cup), 2 hardboiled eggs, and 3 slices of turkey (sandwich meat, compliant, organic). I am stuffed once again. :)  I ate ¾ of an apple after checking my blood glucose and saw it was good, but I was about to trek 3 miles carrying a very heavy backpack through Central Park. Once back to my hotel, I went to Whole Foods Market again, got a half roasted chicken (salt and pepper, no oil), salad with edamame, some coconut water with pineapple (Coco Libre), some carrots and sugar snap peas, and blueberries.  I used oil and vinegar as dressing, about to take a big bite of salad, and decided I should check edamame…. I had no idea it is SOY!!! So I took them off my salad, and believe me, there was a lot! Dodged that bullet.  I sipped the coconut water while working, and called it a night.  I am feeling great regarding GI system!!  Such a nice break! One day at a time.

28Apr2017: Woke up feeling pretty good other than high blood sugar (345!). Still no BM.  I bolused some insulin to correct it, and then went to the gym for 40 minutes on the hotel gym elliptical. At breakfast I had 2 hardboiled eggs with salsa, and some cantaloupe and pineapple. For lunch I had rolled up turkey slices (4) with salsa and guacamole, and carrots and snap peas. I had maybe 6 almonds for a quick snack before I ran to catch a cab… I was starting to feel gassy and gross. Met my significant other and we started driving home. We stopped at a diner and ordered Prime Rib, me with a site of steamed broccoli. I ended up not eating the broccoli because it seemed to have butter on it which I requested not to. Also, I am skeptical that there was not butter on the rib, but they said there wasn’t. So whoever simply says “Oh, just ask for no sauce, etc,” should take off their blinders. So I get in the car to continue our drive, teary eyed and hungry and frustrated. I am not starting the diet over, but wondering how the heck I am going to do this while traveling 80 %.  I ate half a banana at 11:00 pm when I got home with some coconut water. Gassy, looser BMs frequently throughout the day – feeling dismayed and frustrated.

4 hours ago, Shenanigans said:

feeling dismayed and frustrated.

I'd wonder if you wouldn't see/feel some improvements overall if you followed the template a little closer, even with some slip ups in compliance - particularly around the recommendations in terms of pre & postWO work outs (no fuit in either!), and no fruit on it's own as a snack (aim for protein & fat).....

I know you are trying to help, and I have picked up a lot through these posts, thank you so much!  I am also following the template closer now. I am incorporating protein and veggies way more!! :)

If I am about to bike 35 miles at 16 mph, I need a substantial carb, and bananas are a go-to. There has never been tummy upset with the bananas. ALSO, I am Type 1 Diabetic and need a complex carb such as bananas to prevent bonking. My post the other day expressing my frustration, I did NOT eat fruit alone, I actually ate virtually NO fruit!! 

So yesterday and today, no tummy upset..... and I ate NO nuts.... maybe a link there. Gonna keep going. I just had a spinach omelette, compliant sausage, and a banana and about to bike a quick 25 miles. We are then going hiking this afternoon, in which I will eat turkey slices, carrots, cucumbers, and .... dammit, I may have to cook a potato.   Anyhoo, wish me luck!  Any suggestions regarding a carb that isn't a potato?? :(

29Apr2017: Woke up in hopes of a good day! Started with a breakfast of scrambled eggs in coconut oil with onions and peppers (YUM!) and Whole 30 compliant bacon –expensive but so good! Half a banana, vegetable juice and off to do gardening and chores. I felt very weak doing yard work, trudging up and down the back hill.  My sugar levels were good throughout, although I felt hypoglycemic.  For lunch I had 2 pickled eggs, warmed with ghee and pepperoni (compliant). I also ate a banana on my way to the gym, where I did 40 mins elliptical and strength training.  For dinner we had a tomato sauce made with crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, sautéed onions and garlic, over zoodles, with turkey meatballs that I made with ground turkey, 1 egg, pampered chef tomato/pesto seasoning, and a little almond flour.  Later in the evening I had 2 carrots and some coconut water. I had no GI issues, therefore a great day!

30Apr2017: This morning I did not want to get up lol! Once up, for breakfast prior to going biking, I had 3 scramble eggs in coconut oil with spinach, and compliant smoked sausage, and a banana. We biked 22 miles in wind and rain and had horrible mph (14.1!).  For post ride I made a smoothie out of frozen berries, water, and 2 tablespoons of almond butter. We then strapped on our hiking boots and hiked a tough terrain for about 2 hours.  I had a sugar low therefore drank an apple juice, and I ate an apple afterwards.  Prior to dinner, I ate ONE almond, 3 grapes, and ¼ of a Lara bar.   I started getting gassy. For dinner we had grilled chicken that my amazing guy marinated in his family marinade recipe, tweaked a bit to swap olive oil for the vegetable oil. We also had oven baked thick cut fries with EVOO, rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper, red leaf lettuce salad and grilled Brussel sprouts. Wow! Yummy. So was it the ONE almond, or the 3 grapes, or the Lara bar and one nut…..?  Hmmmm. Not feeling too bad later in the evening. Sipped unsweetened almond/coconut milk (not bad stuff!). We’ll see how tomorrow goes. I am flying to Minneapolis until Wednesday late night flight home. I found a Whole Food Market near my hotel, and I believe some of the nearby restaurants will be able to meet my requests. Fingers crossed I can get a compliant HOT meal.

01May2017: I was a little late getting up, so I ate a half a banana and spun in my trainer for a light 40 minutes, followed by 3 eggs scrambled with spinach and compliant fried potatoes, plus some cut up strawberries.  Off to the airport I go, grabbing a water. At Atlanta where I was connecting, I went to the Skyclub and munched on carrots, radishes, and an apple.  Then the bottom fell out…. 1 broken plane, then the 2nd plane broke, and we are now delayed 4 hrs. I am hangry. I ate a Lara bar and some pistachios that was all I could find in the airport stores. I had planned on getting to Minneapolis in time to go to Whole Food Market – not now!  Delta was very nice and provided snacks and box meals, none of which I could eat but maybe the almonds, but at that time my tummy was bloated and gassy – I blame the Lara bar, and maybe the pistachios.  When we finally boarded the 3rd plane (now 6 hrs delayed, almost 10 pm EST), I ended up eating an apple and drank a tomato juice.  I got to my hotel room around 1 am, was a little hypoglycemic so I drank a half bottle of OJ, and then I retrieved the hardboiled eggs stored in my luggage, took some avocado from the salad I had the hotel put in my fridge which I decided to take for lunch the next day, added a bit of ghee I put in my carry on in a pill bottle ;), and microwaved a yummy late night dinner. I survived and stayed compliant.

02May2017: Woke up tired but feeling a bit better. After a quick workout, went to breakfast and ordered an omelet made in olive oil with spinach and fresh pico. I also had some fresh berries.  For lunch I ate the salad I ordered last night – chicken breast/avocado cobb - no bacon, no cheese, balsamic and olive oil.  I also had a banana with almond butter a few hrs later prior to a power walk. Went to Whole Foods Market and had a salad with tuna and egg, Also bought raspberries, a packet of cashew butter, some organic carrots, and some compliant turkey breast slices (Applegate). Also bought 2 Coconut waters with pineapple.

D8: 03May2017: Feeling pretty good this morning and excited to get home tonight (land in Syracuse at 11:22 pm).  I worked out and then had an omelet made in olive oil with spinach and fresh pico and some fresh fruit (berries and melon).  At lunch I had 2 hardboiled eggs, warm with ghee, raspberries, grape tomatoes, a big carrot and coconut/pineapple water. I was so incredibly bloated and gassy!!!  Maybe too many eggs? At the airport I had my usual chicken breast cobb salad, no cheese, no bacon with vinegar and olive oil. There was also egg onit… did not help my GI feelings. At the Skyclub I had an orange and peppermint tea. I had first class on the late flight home and didn’t want to be swayed by the yummy non-compliant snacks they offer, so I brought with me pistachios and a tea bag. It worked out well.  Once home I had some coconut water, a piece of jerky (Epic Chicken Jerky is compliant but hard to find), and about 6 cashews. Felt yukky, but proud I stayed 100% compliant on this trip! :)

D9: 04May2017: This morning I was lazy getting out of bed, deservedly so after my travel messes this week. After a black coffee, I used up the leftover breakfast potatoes from Monday, chopped onion, then fresh spinach and one egg to the mix. Yum. Finished off with an apple. I was so overtired, and therefore grazed a bit. I had some pistachios, a carrot, a glass of almond milk, and then a big banana and cashew butter before heading to the gym.  While at the grocery store I found Turkey Breast deli slices that did not contain Carageen!  It is Wegman’s Organic Roasted or Smoked Turkey Breast. So happy, although my wallet is a bit lighter at 10.99/lb! I also impulse grabbed a compliant X-protein bar that is nothing but 2 egg whites, dates, almonds, cocoa, etc (compliant), and since I was on my way to the gym, ate half of it for some extra protein and energy. Then all heck broke loose again. I started to get a bit gassy, and by the time I went to be I was so bloated and gassy – no BM though.   For dinner I made Mahi Tuna fillets on spinach/grape tomatoes sautéed in Olive Oil and garlic, and baked potatoes with some ghee.   So I did a little more research and decided I should try some pro-biotic and enzyme supplements. I will purchase these tomorrow. Stay tuned.

D10: 05May2017: This morning I had an early Dr. apt with my knee surgeon for a check-up, so I grabbed a banana and black coffee. I purchased the pro-biotics and enzymes on my way home and immediately took them since I was still feeling GI discomfort at a 7 on a scale of 1-10.  Once home I fried up the leftover baked potato with onions, re-heated the leftover spinach/tomatoes and added to eggs scrambled in the mix. Yummy.  For lunch I snacked on some cucumbers and 2 carrots, and began feeling a little gassy after that… the carrots maybe?? I had a few slices of turkey then went and worked out 35 mins on my bike on the trainer and did planks.  For dinner I made guacamole (ripened them in the over!), compliant salsa, lean hamburger with taco seasoning, all on a baked sweet potato! Wow! Really good! We also made a red-leaf lettuce salad.  I was so gassy and felt so yukky after. I sipped on water and some coconut water after taking another enzyme pill and fell asleep on the couch. I woke up about an hour later feeling a little better except for major heartburn (taco’s) and crawled up to bed.

Day 11: 06May2017: This morning I felt a little gut-rot-ish still. I made a smoothie with frozen berries, almond butter, a banana, and unsweetened vanilla almond/coconut milk. I sipped it on the way to the gym.  I had a great workout once I started waking up.  20 minutes on the treadmill, alternate walk/jog.  Then 40 mins on the elliptical working my right quads more at 2 min intervals.  I did arm weights also. I rushed home to go to a riding lesson with my guys, and quickly had a spoonful of almond butter for protein and a glass of vanilla almond/coconut milk. I also had 2 carrots.  After the lesson and running errands, I had 2 hardboiled eggs warm with ghee and salsa and an apple.   Then I felt yukky.  I ended up going upstairs and lay down to watch some hockey and fell asleep. I woke about ½ an hour later and felt a bit better. For dinner we made chicken tenders breaded with egg and coconut flour and baked, tossed in a RedHot/ghee Buffalo Wing sauce…. So good!! We also made fried potato/onions and salad. I had an orange for a treat afterwards.  Oh! I could not find salted cashew that are compliant, so I bought raw cashews, tossed them in very little olive oil and salt, and baked them at 350 for 17 mins. Yay! They are good, although next time I will roast them for maybe 13 mins. While watching TV I had some pistachios and some coconut water. I ended up taking another enzyme and pro-biotic pill, in an attempt to re-vamp my system to where it should be. I am a little worried I may be experiencing Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI), and I do have Type 1 Diabetes so the possibility is increased.

Day 12: 07May2017: This morning I did somewhat of a repeat as yesterday, making a smoothie and hitting the gym, because I had good results yesterday and the smoothie seems to have a good result of my blood sugar levels.  After my workout I had leftover potatoes with eggs and spinach scrambled in, as well as an orange.  Later in the day after a quick jog with the family,  I had a small glass of Almond/Coconut milk and some sugar snap peas.  For dinner we made a potato soup made with Almond/Coconut milk and chicken broth made by my amazing boyfriend, with chicken, carrots and celery. We took out a bunch of the soup and pureed it in the blender, and then sprinkled bacon bits over top when it was in our bowls. I made a vinaigrette of olive oil, apple cider vinegar and orange juice, and toasted some pecans and added no sugar pineapple tidbits. So yummy!  My tummy has been moving around and I have been a bit gassy/bloated most of the day. Still wondering about EPI…:(  I snacked on some pistachios and a coconut/pineapple water.

Day 13: 08May2017: So I began the day feeling pretty good, as usual.  I had coffee (black) and half a banana. At 9:00 am I sliced up a baked potato and fried it with some coconut oil/ghee mix, added 2 eggs and spinach, salt and pepper. I took my Digestive Enzymes and Probiotic. I also ate about 6 raw cashews.  Around 11:00 I had a serving of pistachios.  For lunch I had 2 leftover breaded chicken strips with ghee/redhot and some sugarsnap peas.  Before working out (a light 40 min spin on my trainer) I ate half a banana with about 1 tbsp of almond butter. After spinning I was feeling a little gassy – a little later in the day than previous days.   For dinner I had the same as the evening before – soup (without bacon this time) and the salad with pineapple tidbits and roasted pecans. I also had an apple and coconut water later on. Not feeling too bad, although still the same gassy and bloating, however more on a 5 of a scale of 1-10.

Day 14: 09May2017:  I woke up and got ready for my trip to Milwaukee. A bit gassy, but ok. I packed almond butter and turkey in my checked luggage to take.  I had my typical smoothie on the way to the airport.  While traveling, I ended up buying some raw cashews and an apple.  When I got to Milwaukee I went straight to Whole Foods Market and purchased a large salad with tuna and hardboiled eggs, using red wine vinegar and evoo. I also bought 2 sweet potatoes, guacamole and salsa.  I checked into my hotel and after eating some turkey and half a fruit/veggie juice to get my sugar levels back up, I then headed to a nearby Planet Fitness for a 1 hr workout and some weights.  When I got back to my penthouse (yup, gotta love those upgrades!!), I microwaved one of the sweet potatoes and topped it with the gauc and salsa, and had the salad, some pistachios and a coconut/pineapple water.  Feeling gassy all day, but generally not too bad.

Day 15: 10May2017:  I am at the Embassy Suites and was able to have the chef make me a spinach/onion/tomato omelet using veg/olive oil rather than the soybean oil spray. I also had some watermelon and cantaloupe. Still taking my Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics.  A large black coffee tied me over until I was able to eat lunch; cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, banana with almond butter, and then some cashews. Prior to going to the gym later in the day I had some almonds and an apple. I stopped at Whole Foods Market and got a piece of salmon, grilled broccoli, and a salad I plan to eat for lunch tomorrow. I paired the salmon and broccoli with a baked sweet potato topped with salsa and guacamole.  I also had some pistachios, an apple and a coconut water. Way too much food late in the evening as I had work to do and wanted to get it done before dinner… not a wise decision I know.   I must say however I felt more normal today than I have the past 2 weeks.  Tummy not rumbling or moving like it has.  I did not take an evening dose of Digestive Enzymes. Fingers crossed.

So it turns out I had forgotten to add 3 days, therefore these diaries should have started as DAY 3 and so on. So last entry , Day 15 should have been Day 18!!

Day 19: 11May2017: This morning I did not feel like going to breakfast at the hotel as I was a little strapped for time. I went to the gym and power walked/jogged for 40 mins. I then ate a banana with about 2-3 tbsp of almond butter, and an orange.  On the way to the site I grabbed a large black coffee.  At the site, for lunch I had a salad with turkey and egg, red-wine vinegar and evoo. I also had cherry tomatoes and cucumbers, and a handful of mixed raw nuts.  I did have a few pistachios when I got to the airport as I was starving and there was not options to grab a meal.  I did find some raw veggies with ranch, hold the ranch, at Starbucks. I ate the carrot sticks and cherry tomatoes, and half the broccoli and cauliflower.  On my second connecting flight I ate a large honeycrsip apple, a chicken jerky, and some mixed nuts. Great dinner, not!  I also had a tomato juice and a mint tea. I was so incredibly gassy – non-stop. I got home and cried. I am so tired of feeling this way. I cannot even think about being intimate with the love of my life. I can’t even hear myself think over the gurgling of my intestines. 

Day 20: 12May2017: This morning I ran to the bathroom and eliminated most likely everything I ate yesterday. I didn’t feel so gassy afterwards though. Sigh :(  In about an hour same thing.  What the h, e double hockey sticks?!  I had a cup of coffee and some water. I boiled some eggs and around 11:00 felt okay enough to eat 2 eggs and also some cooked green beans and took my digestive enzymes.  I ate half a Lara Bar when I decided to go big and went for a fairly intense 21 mile cycling ride, in which I averaged 16.2 mph. It was at least better than my previous 2 rides.  I got home and grabbed a few almonds while I jumped in the shower. After I was dressed I ate a banana and almond butter, packed up the car and began my drive to Canada for Mother’s Day weekend. On the way I ate an apple and half a coconut/pineapple water.  I stopped at Starbucks and bought a shaken green tea with a splash of almond milk – yummy! So far I wasn’t feeling too bad although the intestines were starting to grumble a bit. When I got to Mum’s I ate a few grapes while talking to her, followed by a stir fry in which she used evoo, salt, pepper and garlic for seasoning, along with baked potatoes – I brought ghee and also sprinkled some lemon juice on it… not too bad I must admit! My intestines started grumbling more and the gas started. I took an enzyme pill. Took the dog for a walk and then had some watermelon. I went to bed 2 hrs later. 

Day 21: 13May2017: I am going back trying to remember yesterday. I was at Mum’s for Mother’s Day weekend.  My sugar was high in the morning. I ate a banana and almond butter and went to the gym. After the gym I made eggs, potatoes and spinach, and had some grapes. I took Digestive Enzymes. We went shopping on a rainy Saturday after deciding we did not want to go to Tulip Festival. While walking around I was a little gassy but not too bad. We went home and had potroast (seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic).  I also took a Digestive Enzyme. We went to a function for a group my Mum is in and I was able to refrain from eating the sandwiches, deviled eggs, donuts, cheese and crackers and CAKE. I sipped green tea and stayed true. When we got home I cut up some watermelon. I took an enzyme. Didn’t feel too bad by the end of the day.

Day 22: 14May2017: Woke up and made omelets for Mother’s Day brunch. Mike brought some bacon that was sugar free.  The omelets had mushrooms, peppers, onions, and mine had a lot of spinach. I also had a glass of almond mill.  On the drive home I drank a coconut water and a small apple. At home I was having a sugar low – drank some apple juice and had half a banana and a spoon full of almond butter. For dinner we had steak, and zoodles with clam sauce and grilled shrimp, and a salad with balsamic and evoo.

Day 23: 15May2017: I made a smoothie evening before to take with me to work after my dentist appointment.  I ended up having the smoothie around 10:00 am. I was a little bloated but not too bad. Still taking Digestive Enzymes – one every time I eat.  For lunch I had 3 slices of Wegman’s organic turkey wrapped around snow peas, cherry tomatoes and some cashews.  On my way to the gym around 4:00 pm, I had an apple and half a Lara bar. After my workout I was feeling quite gassy – Lara bar? At home I had a small handful of almonds before I showered. For dinner we had spinach and halved cherry tomatoes cooked in evoo, salt pepper and garlic, with grilled chicken breast on top, and some smashed potatoes with ghee and lemon juice. I bought an amazing water melon, and I cut it up and had a bowl, with some pistachios and a coconut/pineapple water. Very gassy going to bed.

Archived