Cinnamon

Tracey

Even though I know that cinnamon is compliant in the Whole 30 program, I was researching it, just to see if what I have in my kitchen is 'good' cinnamon. What I found was that there's different types, the 'real' cinnamon, called Ceylon, and the other more common yet less expensive type is called Cassia (this is the one sold in all the stores).

So I researched Cassia, since after reading my Trader Joe's cinnamon label closely, discovered that Cassia Cinnamon is what I have. To my chagrin, Wikipedia defines Cassia as a legume (gasp!!).

See below:

• Cassia (legume), a tree/shrub genus in the bean family (Fabaceae)
  • Three principal species of Cinnamomum used to produce cassia bark, a spice similar to cinnamon:
    • Cinnamomum cassia, cassia or Chinese cinnamon, a cinnamon tree from southern China and Indochina

My question is: should I be worried about using my cinnamon for this 30-dayprogram? (I'm on day 8!)

Help!!!

Yes, it is only the bark that they use as far as I know. Cassia bark is a common type of cinnamon.

I watched a great presentation on cinnamon a long time ago and it was very interesting. Cassia is about the only cinomn you can get in the us. Even when labeled as a different type it's often mislabeled or cut with Cassia.

I watched a great presentation on cinnamon a long time ago and it was very interesting. Cassia is about the only cinomn you can get in the us. Even when labeled as a different type it's often mislabeled or cut with Cassia.

Oh, I am not surprised. I went and looked at my Spice Islands cinnamon and it says nothing. Just cinnamon. I wonder what kind Penzys carries. Now I'm all curious about cinnamon. :)

ETA: Penzeys does carry the Ceylon cinnamon which is never from the cassia bark (not that there's anything wrong with that) and they claim is quite a bit different than the sweeter taste of cassia bark cinnamon. Since I have a local Penzeys here and I want to try that Sunny Paris spice blend, I may pick some up just for fun.

Thanks everyone!! I was so scared that I messed up!!

I found out that Ceylon Cinnamon can be purchased at Whole Foods, fyi.

Ooo..even better since it's right down the street from me and Penzeys is across town...although it's that Paris spice blend I really want to try at Penzeys.

Archived