5/7 Start Date - looking for a buddy

jokane

Good morning all,   I am glad that my misery has your company! :huh:  Today is day 4.  I have had a headache ranging from slightly annoying to I cannot pick my head up off the couch since day 2.  I feel like I am in a constant fog and that life is "blurry".   My meals have been filling enough but I ate cashews at 8pm last night because I was sitting in front of the TV.  Two weeks ago, it would have been ice cream, so this is progress.  But I was NOT hungry and ate them anyway.  I am now sick of eggs for breakfast.  I did scour the Pintrest pages last night for a non-egg breakfast and failed.  Anyone have any good ideas?

My goal for today is survival; 3 meals, a snack if I need it.  I keep telling myself, "I can do this.  It is just 30 days."  But today - it feels hard.  thanks for reading my rant.  I feel better just getting it out there.  

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@LisaNotOriginal That is the point of this group! You can definitely do it - it gets easier, particularly after the half-way point. I personally LOVE eggs and never get sick of them, so sorry about that. I know a lot of people love Melissa's Chicken Hash, which was inspired by that exact feeling. If you have the Whole30 book, the recipe is in there. I also think there are a few blog posts dedicated to non-egg breakfast ideas. Like this one: https://whole30.com/2017/01/eggless-breakfasts-3/

Also, @NoneOtherThanAmy, re-introduction is both scary and exciting, but it SHOULDN'T be scary. When we think of it as being scary, we give food too much power. That's been a major thing I've learned in my Whole30s is that food should not take higher priority than the joy of being with loved ones, or the pleasure of waking up alert and energized. And it's the same thing with re-introduction - if we fear the food is going to MAKE us do something, we're giving it too much power. We have to remember that we are in control of our bodies and our choices. This has been a hard lesson that I am still working through - I would love to say "The cookie made me do it!" but ultimately, it didn't. There are a ton of great blog entries and videos of Melissa talking about reintroduction that you should totally watch! I don't even remember which specific ones helped me, but I just searched "reintroduction," in the search box on Whole30.com and there are a bunch! Maybe take a look?

Happy Day 5 (and 6 for some?)! Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

Reading the Day 5 email and reflecting on what's better today than just 5 days ago - my cold! I woke up at 1 a.m. of Day 2 with a nasty sore throat and I am already feeling way better. I feel like I definitely recovered more quickly than I would have in the past - hopefully because of the good things I'm putting in my body! #NSV!?

Hello All, 

I am looking to start another whole 30 and stumbled on this thread this morning and feel like it's a great fit for me so I hope you don't mind if I jump in. I Did my first whole30 spring 2015 when I realized I really needed to make a major change in my lifestyle.  It was challenging, but definitely got easier with time and the way it made me feel was so worth it..... continued to eat whole and healthy foods, but kinda messed up reintroduction the first time so did another "strict" whole 30 in july 2015 with a successful reintroduction. Continued to embrace what I learned and by October 2015 had lost 50lbs and was feeling better then I had in a very long time. As my luck would have it on October 5, 2015 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. stage 2 with positive lymph nodes. Had a double mastectomy,  8 rounds of chemo, and 5 1/2 weeks of radiation  I firmly believe that being in a good state of health when I started treatments really helped. After chemo and all I went through I gained weight and have lost all control of my eating. I think a lot of it is mental, and it's easy to blame the cancer and have the attitude "what's the point".  I am over it... I am ready to take back control and get back to that tiger blood feeling I once had. Looking forward to being a part of this group and hearing about all of your experiences!!  

@LisaNotOriginal I also get sick of eggs for breakfast pretty quickly. In addition to the ideas Emily gave, have you been eating the eggs the same way each day? I had a little luck changing between fried eggs/scrambled eggs/breakfast egg bake. They all taste different enough that it helps break up the monotony. As for the TV eating...have you tried doing something else with your hands while watching TV? I'm a knitter and I find that helps to prevent me from wanting to snack, as long as I bring a glass of water or tea while I watch TV and knit. If you don't like the idea of knitting, other things like coloring, drawing, journaling, etc. might help.

@emilyelowe Thanks for those resources! I did a little more research about reintroduction and thought back to the first week I was eating Whole30-ish. That piece of pie I split with a friend did not send me into a spiral of crazy carb foraging. I was able to go back to clean eating with no problem. I think that and reading other people's experiences is helping to make reintroduction seem less scary. My NSV so far? I'd have to say my energy levels are more consistent than they were. They're not super high yet, but I don't feel dependent on coffee or food to give me energy to make it through the day and I find exercise helps to get me out of a "funk" better than food ever did. :)  

Welcome @Susabella627! Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to have you here. 

@LisaNotOriginal I am also glad to have this groups company, especially today. Day 5 and I have a nagging headache that just won't go away! I have very little energy and feel like I could crawl under my desk and nap for hours...Ugh. Thankfully I have a really easy recipe picked out for dinner tonight.

Last night I had a dream that I was at a pool party where the pool was filled with mac & cheese! :blink: I didn't get in the pool, but I ate stacks of salami then worried that it wasn't Whole30 compliant and thought I'd have to start over. I woke up feeling guilty for eating all that salami! Hopefully tonight's sleep is a little more restful.

Today (day 4) I did struggle with some cravings after lunchtime, I think mostly when I am stuck at work and would rather not be there, lol. Otherwise it is easier to forget about it. I did have some almonds which I probably should have been able to do without, but still a healthier snack. I prepped gazpacho soup from the whole 30 book for tomorrow night and made the roasted beet/orange/avocado salad tonight as a side for some tuna wrapped in lettuce and both recipes were easy and good!

@LisaNotOriginal I really like your idea of forming new habits when sitting in front of the TV to help avoid mindless snacking and avoid cravings! I find if I am involved in something that I have interest in I don't think miss the bad foods I am avoiding.

Prepping my foods the night before is really helping me keep on track so far so I'm not looking for that misc 'something' when I'm hungry, but instead know what meal option I have.

@NoneOtherThanAmy that's great - I have been finding the same thing today - my energy isn't super high yet but there are less drastic fluctuations and no terrible 'crashes' in energy. My husband came home with tortilla chips and hummus today (usually one of my fav snacks!) and I didn't have any insane cravings or disappointment that I could not have any - that in itself is progress to me!

@Susabella627 thank you for sharing your personal experience - so great to have you here!

@Skye_9 I run into the EXACT same thing at work! On days that I'm busy, the time passes quickly and I don't think about food as much but days/weeks that are slow are SO. MUCH. HARDER. I can only take so many walks around the office, you know!?! Haha. Sometimes my coworkers and I (or me by myself) do a quick 5-minute tabata on the stars (20 seconds jogging, 10 seconds walking for 5 minutes). This definitely helps get my mind off snacks as I can't imagine having any type of food when we're done with that. Obviously, your ability to do this depends on your specific work environment, but I've got tennies under my desk and deodorant in my purse. :)

I'm definitely starting to feel the positive sleep effects again (it came on faster this time I think because it hasn't been that long since my last Whole30) and I am SO excited about that. I fell asleep very easy the last two nights!

I'm reading the Whole30 Daily emails again this round and as always am interested in the concept of fat adaptation. Might have to go check out some other posts on that today. I just REALLY love carbs (potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruit, etc) at breakfast, but that's also my post-WO meal, so concerned I'll never be fat-adapted. :( 

I think it's getting easier - hope I still feel that way once it's the weekend! Happy Day 6!

Happy day 5 or 6 everyone! 

I'm puppy sitting and staying at my friend's house over the weekend. I'll still be in town, just not at my own house. I'm realizing this may be a bigger pain than I originally thought. I can cook at her house, but I usually make up a bunch of food for the week and I don't think I'd be able to do that in someone else's kitchen. I might take some time Saturday afternoon to go home and do my cooking at home, but we'll see how things go.

After thinking about it a little more, I think some of the annoyances come from the fact that normally I'd grab a bunch of junk food and a pizza so I wouldn't be have to cook much at someone else's house. I'm not doing that this time, so it just seems harder. 

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes. Not much to report Day 1 meal 1 done. Forgot how much I enjoy my coffee with whipped Coconut oil and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Sounds like everyone is navigating well at this point. The weekend always has it's own challenges so stay strong everyone... We got this!!! 

I am definitely starting to feel the Call of the Weekend... Much like @NoneOtherThanAmy, the weekend seems like a time to be lazy and celebrate another week... with a pizza. <_< As the work day winds down, it is getting tougher! Luckily, I have plans after work with a super healthy and supportive friend so all I have to do is make it out of work without touching any candy! 

As I mentioned at the beginning, I actually started this Whole30 on May 1 but LAST Friday fell off the wagon into a peanut butter cookie. Let me tell you, being on Day 6 (when I COULD be on Day 12) is NOT a good feeling. So STAY STRONG! That momentary pleasure is SO not worth it. 

I just wanted to jump on and share some encouragement in case anyone else is in that zone! It just gets easier from here, people!

Also, I have this weird phenomenon happen where - once I start to feel good - I want to eat bad. You would think that this wouldn't make any sense and feeling so good would make me want to keep doing what I'm doing but instead it makes me feel like "Oh good, you've made it. You can moderate now." NO. NO I CANNOT. MODERATION IS A LIE. So while I'm feeling really good today, that's almost adding to my weekend-fueled desire to "splurge." I seriously can't even believe myself, so that's the other reason I thought I'd hop on the forum. Hopefully sharing my crazy will help me move past it. Haha!

Have a great weekend everyone! 

@emilyelowe I suffer from that same strange phenomenon and am relieved to know I am not the only one lol. Not that I am feeling that way yet, it's only day 1 for me but as soon as I do start to feel good I always want to allow myself "a treat" or feel like it's ok to slack off a little. Thats what I love about whole 30, I know for at least 30 days I won't allow myself to slip and hopefully thats enough time to reset.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Thanks @emilyelowe, that perspective helped quite a bit and it helps to know that I'm not the only one craving a "treat" for the weekend. Today was especially tough because taking care of this dog is hard work. She's a sweetie, but she's also stubborn, headstrong, and pulls me all over the place on walks. I totally deserve a treat for dealing with that. 

My sugar dragon was breathing fire in the worst way today, but I *had* to go grocery shopping for supplies to make dinner tonight. It was tough, but I drowned out the sugar dragon's voice and kept to the plan. I picked up a few treats though, one was some La Croix sparkling water and the other was a bunch a pre-cut veggies and a steak, so I didn't have to do much prep for dinner tonight, which was nice. Now that I've eaten, the sugar dragon has gone back to her den and I think I'll be able to make it through the rest of the weekend just fine. Hope everyone else's weekend goes well!

Happy Friday everyone! @emilyelowe @Susabella627 I was feeling the same way today....like I have been doing so good I deserve a treat...and pizza is such a great weekend craving food. This is where I usually fall off the wagon and delay any results is by wanting to 'reward' myself with food after a few days of eating well. It is good to know I was not the only one feeling that way and it has passed now, so just need to stay focused! :)

• Moderators
3 hours ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

. I picked up a few treats though, one was some La Croix sparkling water and the other was a bunch a pre-cut veggies and a steak, 

Don't forget to count this as an amazing non scale victory... your idea of treats when your sugar dragon was being a jerk was veggies, steak and sparkling water!  That's awesome!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Skye_9 said:

Happy Friday everyone! @emilyelowe @Susabella627 I was feeling the same way today....like I have been doing so good I deserve a treat...and pizza is such a great weekend craving food. This is where I usually fall off the wagon and delay any results is by wanting to 'reward' myself with food after a few days of eating well. It is good to know I was not the only one feeling that way and it has passed now, so just need to stay focused! :)

You can totally reward yourself with non food things... bubble bath, paint your nails, be decadent and lounge in bed with a tea and a book... rewards don't always have to be (and shouldn't be) food!

Hello everyone, I started Whole30 last weekend and have been reading along with this group but this is my first post.  I've done a few other W30 in past few years, and have also failed a few times.  For the successful ones, I took away 1-2 things that I've kept with me permanently.  For example, the first time I gave up pop (a 35 year daily habit I thought I'd never break).  That was about 2 years and I've maybe had 1 can of pop since (and it was gross).  Other 'take away/permanent change' have been eating bigger breakfasts and definitely more 'good' fat in my diet (I was raised in the fat-free era so it's a massive change).  Also, drinking way more water!    

I'm not sure what my 'take away' will be this time. But, mostly I'm doing it to get off the carb roller coaster I was on, have some NSV and hopefully make another change whatever it may be (TBD). 

I really appreciated the post from emilyelowe about  

17 hours ago, emilyelowe said:

weird phenomenon happen where - once I start to feel good - I want to eat bad

I totally have this too and don't understand it.  Self sabotage is what it feels like.  The minute I get confident, then I am done.    If anyone does yoga, during balance you can't think too hard about the pose but you can't think about something else either - you have to have a soft focus which is somewhere in between.  I do NOT understand why it works for balance, but it does.  Same with a W30.  You have to plan and be mindful, be present, but the minute you think "I got this" - then, you don't.  You have to be somewhere in between.  Humble maybe?  

I'm also really aware this time around about using food as a reward or distraction.  My job has been stressful lately so I've just removed all food from my office for there 30 days.  I would just eat it when I'm stressed.  Even if a food is compliant, too much of a good thing is not compliant!  

We'll see what the weekend brings.  At this point, I'm meal by meal.  I did feel pretty groggy/fuzzy this week and had alot of headaches but hoping that resolves this weekend with some good sleep and time outside! 

@SugarcubeOD Thanks for the reminder! I'm going to have to add that to my list of NSVs. It definitely felt like a victory when I left the grocery store without any sugary snacks (I even avoided fruit)! Your other post is a good point as well. I think I'll have to challenge myself to come up with a non-food end of the week treat for next Friday.

Confession: Today was not an easy day for me at all!! I'll admit I thought several times about cheating. Weekdays are so much easier because they are structured, but my weekends don't usually have a set timeline. Honestly, this weekend will probably be the most challenging one of my W30. For Mother's Day my husband and I decided to have both of our families over for a cookout. That way I can prepare the majority of the food and know what I'm eating is compliant. The tough part will be avoiding the dishes that our families will be bringing that I usually indulge in.  Of course if I can make it though all the ciaos of today without slipping up, I have confidence tomorrow will be just fine.

I hope all you moms here have a very special Mother's Day tomorrow!! 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Ashley_119 said:

Confession: Today was not an easy day for me at all!! I'll admit I thought several times about cheating. Weekdays are so much easier because they are structured, but my weekends don't usually have a set timeline. Honestly, this weekend will probably be the most challenging one of my W30. For Mother's Day my husband and I decided to have both of our families over for a cookout. That way I can prepare the majority of the food and know what I'm eating is compliant. The tough part will be avoiding the dishes that our families will be bringing that I usually indulge in.  Of course if I can make it though all the ciaos of today without slipping up, I have confidence tomorrow will be just fine.

I hope all you moms here have a very special Mother's Day tomorrow!! 

Just remember when you see the dishes your family brings over... it sounds like it's the same sort of things all the time, which means A: they're probably not that special and B: they'll be around again... You'll be fine tomorrow!

checking in - how are you all doing?  kind of a challenging weekend if you were lucky enough to celebrate either your mother, and/or being a mother.  For me, both apply so grateful on that front.  Notice how so many celebrations center around food?  

I am waking up each day with a pretty sharp headache but it goes away after some coffee.  It's different than the dull headache when you don't have coffee at regular time so not sure what it's about.    Looking back, I was really foggy in the first part of the week but that seems to be going away.  

It's been really helpful to buy pre-cut veggies at costco or trader joes.  I keep those fresh and cook up as needed.  I also cook up meat in advance.  I think I might try Melissa's Chicken Hash recipe. that sounds so good.  

How are others doing?  I started last Sunday so am finishing up my first week.  

Susabella627 - you've been through so much, just wanted to acknowledge you post and say hi.  

I did pretty well this weekend, but I'm feeling a very strong urge to step on the scale. I'm feeling very good, but I keep worrying about the amount of food and fat I'm eating. It makes me want to get on the scale to see if things are still going in the right direction. Before starting Whole30, I had 5 lbs that I would constantly gain and lose over and over. When I started eating Whole30-ish before I actually started, I lost ~7 lbs in the first week and the number on the scale continued moving downward through the 2nd week, albeit at a slower rate. It's hard not to step on that scale now to see if I'm still making progress! I didn't realize I was so attached to that number. 

So, instead, I'll comment on some NSVs from this weekend. According to my Fitbit, I slept much better than normal both nights with very few restless periods. The puppy wouldn't let me sleep past 6 AM, but I still was able to get up and start my day without coffee. I walked 39,000+ steps over the weekend, most with the puppy in tow (she's super high-energy and needs lots of exercise). I don't think I could have done that before starting this program. Even though I walked so much this weekend and am physically exhausted, I still had energy enough to make food for the next week. I no longer snack or have the need to snack. I never thought I'd say that. There are others, but I'm about to fall asleep at my keyboard. Time to get some rest! 

Hope everyone else had a great weekend!

Wow, NoneOtherThanAmy - that's a ton of steps.  Way to go!  I don't have a fitbit but do try to do something each day (walking/yoga/biking/etc).  For the past week, I've been kind of low energy (thinking since no carbs) but I think better sleep is one of the best NSV I've noticed.    Good luck as we start week 2. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

I did pretty well this weekend, but I'm feeling a very strong urge to step on the scale. I'm feeling very good, but I keep worrying about the amount of food and fat I'm eating. It makes me want to get on the scale to see if things are still going in the right direction. Before starting Whole30, I had 5 lbs that I would constantly gain and lose over and over. When I started eating Whole30-ish before I actually started, I lost ~7 lbs in the first week and the number on the scale continued moving downward through the 2nd week, albeit at a slower rate. It's hard not to step on that scale now to see if I'm still making progress! I didn't realize I was so attached to that number. 

So, instead, I'll comment on some NSVs from this weekend. According to my Fitbit, I slept much better than normal both nights with very few restless periods. The puppy wouldn't let me sleep past 6 AM, but I still was able to get up and start my day without coffee. I walked 39,000+ steps over the weekend, most with the puppy in tow (she's super high-energy and needs lots of exercise). I don't think I could have done that before starting this program. Even though I walked so much this weekend and am physically exhausted, I still had energy enough to make food for the next week. I no longer snack or have the need to snack. I never thought I'd say that. There are others, but I'm about to fall asleep at my keyboard. Time to get some rest! 

Hope everyone else had a great weekend!

Continue to focus on the non scale victories and don't worry about that number... as my sister says, we're not cattle, we don't need to be weighed.  Good for you and congrats on the new puppy!

Archived