Day 5 - am I doing this right?

Hello, everyone...

My name is Lisa and I started Whole 30 on Monday, May 1.  This is my 5th day, and I am afraid that I am not doing it right - because I have only had one day of "carb flu" and now my energy level is higher than it has been in a while. Of course, that is one of my goals, but I feel like I am eating so much food!  I feel hungrier than usual, and have been eating three meals and 2 snacks every day!

Let me give you my back story - In December, 2016, I had a stroke.  The next day, I was diagnosed with an ASD (Atrial Septum Defect), or a hole in my heart.  I had an implant inserted to close the hole, but the doctor had to "fly blind" while inserting it because he could use no dye to "light his way" - the reason is that I have one kidney and the dye would damage my kidney.  So - I had a heart implant inserted with no dye and the minimum amount of anesthetic (OUCH!), and in the process, the doctor perforated the side of my heart.  I almost died, but he was able to get my heart started again.  However, because of the stroke and the heart implant, I had serious medical problems.  It is still difficult to talk for long periods, I get tired easily, my balance is not good, and I have chest pains (but my vitals are good).

I am very fortunate, because on December 12, I couldn't walk , talk, or swallow.  On December 28, I walked out of rehab without a cane or a walker. But during that time, I decided that I was going to come back - better than ever! I am the activities director at a large high school, and the athletic director did Whole 30 in the fall.  I was intrigued, because he lost so much weight, and because he said he felt 30 again (we are both 54). I honestly wanted to try it because of the weight loss. After the stroke/heart implant, I found my "off the scale" reasons - to be a better me!

So, I started 5 days ago.  I feel good, but I do wonder about eating so much food! I have always been a grazer, and the three meals and snacks make me think that I am eating way too much! I was also a Diet Coke-aholic -drinking 6-8 cans per day! I haven't had any since Monday, and I never got the headache that I was expecting...I don't know why...I have mainly been drinking sparkling water with only a glass of tea per day.

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, msgalnca said:

Hello, everyone...

My name is Lisa and I started Whole 30 on Monday, May 1.  This is my 5th day, and I am afraid that I am not doing it right - because I have only had one day of "carb flu" and now my energy level is higher than it has been in a while. Of course, that is one of my goals, but I feel like I am eating so much food!  I feel hungrier than usual, and have been eating three meals and 2 snacks every day!

So, I started 5 days ago.  I feel good, but I do wonder about eating so much food! I have always been a grazer, and the three meals and snacks make me think that I am eating way too much! I was also a Diet Coke-aholic -drinking 6-8 cans per day! I haven't had any since Monday, and I never got the headache that I was expecting...I don't know why...I have mainly been drinking sparkling water with only a glass of tea per day.

Hi @msgalnca - not everyone follows the timeline, some people are fortunate enough not to experience any really troubling side effects of the first parts of Whole30. Rejoice!

We don't actually recommend that you eat 3 meals and 2 snacks but rather that you compose yourself meals that will keep you going for 4-5 hours. If you're hungry, eat meals (ie, not fruits and nuts or bars). You can go ahead and post what you've been eating if you like and we can take a look.

Thank you for your quick response, ladyshanny!  Okay, I will go through yesterday to give you an idea:

Breakfast (8:00)- 3 egg cups with compliant ham/carrots with guacamole (it was going to go bad :)) - one can pure life sparkling water (mandarin flavor)

Snack (11:00) - Apple with almonds

Lunch (1:30) - Protein salad with balsamic vinegar (romaine, kale, baby greens, yellow bell pepper, almonds)

Snack (3:00) - banana with walnuts

Dinner (6:00) - Skirt steak with heirloom tomato and orange pepper "gravy", brussel sprouts

Snack (9:30) - almonds

This is how I am eating pretty much every day - although I am planning this weekend to look up more recipes and try them.  I have a pot roast in the refrigerator that is waiting to become something yummy :)

Please help~!  I want to do this right - to become better through it - and to make it my eating lifestyle (with a few modifications)

Lisa

• Administrators

4 minutes ago, msgalnca said:

Breakfast (8:00)- 3 egg cups with compliant ham/carrots with guacamole (it was going to go bad :)) - one can pure life sparkling water (mandarin flavor)

Snack (11:00) - Apple with almonds

Lunch (1:30) - Protein salad with balsamic vinegar (romaine, kale, baby greens, yellow bell pepper, almonds)

Snack (3:00) - banana with walnuts

Dinner (6:00) - Skirt steak with heirloom tomato and orange pepper "gravy", brussel sprouts

Snack (9:30) - almonds

So basically you want to increase the size of your main meals following the template linked below in order to eliminate the fruit/nut snack combo you've been relying on. This type of "snack" isn't doing you any favours and does not mesh with the recommendations of the program. Make sure you are adding fat to each meal, lots of veggies and 1-2 palm equivalent portions of protein.

Water intake is recommended at 1/2 ounce per pound of bodyweight.

Thank you!

This weekend, I will do more to prepare my meals for next week. I am drinking 3 32 oz glasses of water per day - I forgot to add that to my menu list...

And I am not having caffeine - the teas I drink are herbal and not caffeinated.

I have used an entire 6 oz bottle of ghee this week - is that normal?

Lisa

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, msgalnca said:

I have used an entire 6 oz bottle of ghee this week - is that normal?

Hard to say since we can't tell exactly what and how you're cooking. If you're using 1-2 tbsp each time you cook a meal, then sure. There are only 12 tbsp in 6 ounces.

Reading your list of food to me it doesn't look like you're eating much at all to be honest!  

1. Where did you find compliant ham because that's the ONE thing I haven't been able to find yet! (and I love Ham!)

2. Are you adding potatoes to your menu?  Starchy veggies really help as well. I make "french fries" all the time by slicing potatoes, drizzling them with olive oil and seasoning and baking them.   (They don't really come out like fries, but that's what I tell the kids they are!)  I use the leftover for breakfast the next day

3. You definitely need that healthy fat. I eat avocado everyday now!  

Hi, Lea...

I found the ham at the Lassen's health food store...it is the Pedersen's brand.

I haven't eaten a lot of potatoes, because honestly, I have been a bit afraid of them....but I am going to do a pot roast tomorrow, and I am going to put it in the crock pot with potatoes, onions, celery, and bell peppers.  Oh, and I am going to  braise the roast in black coffee before putting it in the crock pot.  Then, you take the rest of the coffee (about 1/2 cup) and put it in with the roast...the coffee makes it SO tender, and gives it a little "POP"...I don't like coffee, but I like roasts fix this way.

My plan is to make the pot roast tomorrow, and have dinner from it tomorrow night.  Then, I will take a portion and chop it up for stuffed bell peppers Sunday night...and then, I should have one more portion that I am going to make a beef and sweet potato "sandwich" with for Monday lunch. Tomorrow morning, for breakfast I can "go all out" - since I don't need to be at school by 6:30.

I have to report that I ate breakfast at 9:00 this morning...then a 1:30 lunch...and it is now 5:48 pm and I am not hungry.  I had some fattier cuts of meat and an avocado for lunch (yes, I had forgotten how much i love avocado!), plus some veggie that I had sauteed in ghee. I am certain that is what I needed to do in order to not snack...thank you, ladyshanny!

And Lea, I love potatoes and that is why I am "afraid" of them...don't want to overdo it on the potatoes, and I know that I will have to watch that intake.

Lisa

Just eat slow and stop when you are full and put the rest away for your meal the next morning.  Breakfast potatoes are awesome!!!!  And go well with a microwave egg. 

I bought their complaint bacon! So I'll look for ham too.   I can't wait to try the bacon.  I really love the compliant sausage I found too which ends up microwaving so well!!! 

I eat an avocado almost everyday.  I love them so much they actually work as salad dressing on their own!  I've gotten to where I can eat a baked potato with salt and pepper only.  

I wouldn't be afraid of the potatoes.  Consider all the calories you aren't eating between sugar and snacks and sweets and you are just replacing them with something healthy. 

:) 

Archived