Gotta stop sayin' never....TiffanyLF 1st Whole 30

TiffanyLF

Let me begin by saying that I said that I would never, NEVER do paleo. I even scoffed at such an idea. Joke's on me. After watching a friend of mine go through a whole 30 and seeing her amazing results (energy, happiness, weight-loss, and a greater understanding of how specific food impacts her) AND then her finance, I have decided to give it a try myself. My initial reason was simply because of weight-loss. However, after look into what this whole Paleo lifestyle is about my original goal of weight-loss is now accompanied by other goals: Learning self-discipline, learning how my body responds to different foods, developing a new understanding of the foods that are best for my body, and seeing if I notice a difference in my energy levels.

So, here I am on day 4 and its going good...And I've got questions. Like, why am I still enjoying it AND when do I start hating my life and the world as I go through withdrawals of the sugars and other "bad" things for me? Insights and personal experiences are more than welcomed :-D

I'll log in my food on the next post.

I never hated it, love from the start. I had more issues around days 15-20 but I'm pretty sure it had to do with my cycle and not the food.

It justs gets better and better, wait and see! I'm on day 32 and the only thing I relaxed on a bit is corn oils so far. Just don't want to go back!

I hope this continues. My friend said her withdrawal symptoms started kicking in on day 3 and her finance battled cravings all throughout the 30. So I came into this sure I was going to hate my life for an entire 30 days. It has been fun exploring different ways to cook and eat a variety of vegetables, so far I haven't felt as I have been missing much.

We had sugar/caffeine withdrawal headaches on Day 1, but after that it was great. Even energy levels, better sleep, weight loss. The works.

I had some Halloween candy today, as my Whole30 is over, but I don't plan on doing that often at all. Meat, fruit, veggies, and nuts are where it's at. I at least stay satiated eating them and can last many hours between meals. Unlike on a high-carb diet where I'm hungry again right after a meal. So dumb I didn't get onboard with this sooner. I've been into CrossFit since 2008. I could have done this FOUR YEARS AGO!!! Ugh. I'm still young, though (33). :-)

Today marks the end of my first week of the Whole 30 and overall I say it was rather successful. I managed to be around many of my favorite foods that would normally result in shameful gorging w/out giving in...and guess what, the world didn't end when I forwent all the temptations. I event cooked a couple non-paleo meal options for my fiancé (including an Alfredo sauce). Overall this first week has been rather motivating and I hope it continues. However, I realize that there are some things that I may need to troubleshoot. These include:

1. What is a healthy amount of oils per day? I don't want to be doing too much and I tend to be on the liberal side in my use of oils.

2. What is a heathy amount of protein a day? I don't want to count calories or anything but I am worrried that I am so gun on on not having to track points/fat/calories that I may over indulged on the heathy....too much of a good thing can be bad right?

3. I'm hungry...right now as I type this. How do I tell if my hunger pains are from hunger or whatever else? Is it normal to feel hungry as your body is getting use to a new way of eating? I hate a full meal-- seafood over spaghetti squash followed by a handful of almonds 5 hours ago. I have been sitting down so it not like I burned it all off. I started feeling hungry 2 hours ago and did the whole glass of water (2 in fact) to see if I was thirsty instead. Since then I have eaten an apple and some coleslaw salad. If this continues I'm about to dig into a bowl of homemade chicken soup before I go to bed.

Today marks the end of my first week of the Whole 30 and overall I say it was rather successful. I managed to be around many of my favorite foods that would normally result in shameful gorging w/out giving in...and guess what, the world didn't end when I forwent all the temptations. I event cooked a couple non-paleo meal options for my fiancé (including an Alfredo sauce). Overall this first week has been rather motivating and I hope it continues. However, I realize that there are some things that I may need to troubleshoot. These include:

1. What is a healthy amount of oils per day? I don't want to be doing too much and I tend to be on the liberal side in my use of oils.

2. What is a heathy amount of protein a day? I don't want to count calories or anything but I am worrried that I am so gun on on not having to track points/fat/calories that I may over indulged on the heathy....too much of a good thing can be bad right?

3. I'm hungry...right now as I type this. How do I tell if my hunger pains are from hunger or whatever else? Is it normal to feel hungry as your body is getting use to a new way of eating? I hate a full meal-- seafood over spaghetti squash followed by a handful of almonds 5 hours ago. I have been sitting down so it not like I burned it all off. I started feeling hungry 2 hours ago and did the whole glass of water (2 in fact) to see if I was thirsty instead. Since then I have eaten an apple and some coleslaw salad. If this continues I'm about to dig into a bowl of homemade chicken soup before I go to bed.

Hi Tiffany - great job on your first Whole30! I will chime in here, and hopefully the Mods will correct me if I'm wrong.

1. As long as you're sticking with the right oils (coconut or ghee for cooking, and olive not for cooking) you probably won't be over-doing it, as the Whole30 recommends 1-2 Thumb-sized servings per meal (a thumb sized serving is 1-2 T, so if you do the math that is up to 4T per meal - and that's just a starting point!) (Keep in mind you would also want to count your other fat sources...coconut milk, olives, nuts, etc) They recommend to not go below the recommended fat, and you wouldn't want to go above that unless you were hungry - but even then, going through the entire Whole30 before adjusting the fat is recommended.

2. Just stick to 1-2 palm sized servings of meat per meal (or as many whole eggs as you can fit in one hand) and you're good to go. Less hungry? have 1 palm sized portion. More hungry/active? Have 2. Because you are eating real foods (that have brakes) you aren't likely to overindulge, because your body will tell you when you are full!

3. You know you are hungry when steamed white fish and broccoli sound good :) Anything else is just a craving. I would say, based on what you said, you drank 2 glasses of water and still were hungry, so you had a snack - I would say you probably should have just eaten a smaller meal (aka a snack centered around protein and fat, with lots of veggies), because the snack you had was just carbs and wouldn't keep you full for long. Make sense?

I hope that was helpful (and correct!). Keep up the good work!

Archived