Help!

Hello Whole-30ers. I am on Day 14 of my second round of the whole 30 and I don't remember it being this difficult. I last did the whole 30 back in march by myself and found I had an increase of energy and was feeling great by day 9. Post whole 30 I was eating pretty healthy still but would have a not whole 30 approved beverage or item once a day or every other day. I have a history of anorexia and didn't want to get into a limiting mindset. My husband saw the benefits I had in my energy level and wanted to give it a try so we are doing this round together. However, since I started I have noticed a significant decrease in energy, and my mood is constantly terrible. My ability to handle stressful situations has decreased and my anxiety is much worse. I am doing everything exactly as I was during the last round of whole 30, but honestly the only thing keeping me going this time is my inability to quit anything I've committed to. My husband is already seeing results in energy and hasn't had an energy drink in 14 days, which he hasn't been without for the past 10 years. I would very much appreciate any encouragement or tips. Thank you!

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Jackskait said:

Hello Whole-30ers. I am on Day 14 of my second round of the whole 30 and I don't remember it being this difficult. I last did the whole 30 back in march by myself and found I had an increase of energy and was feeling great by day 9. Post whole 30 I was eating pretty healthy still but would have a not whole 30 approved beverage or item once a day or every other day. I have a history of anorexia and didn't want to get into a limiting mindset. My husband saw the benefits I had in my energy level and wanted to give it a try so we are doing this round together. However, since I started I have noticed a significant decrease in energy, and my mood is constantly terrible. My ability to handle stressful situations has decreased and my anxiety is much worse. I am doing everything exactly as I was during the last round of whole 30, but honestly the only thing keeping me going this time is my inability to quit anything I've committed to. My husband is already seeing results in energy and hasn't had an energy drink in 14 days, which he hasn't been without for the past 10 years. I would very much appreciate any encouragement or tips. Thank you!

Can you list out what you've been eating in quantities related to the template, specific veggies, fruit, fat and protein, workouts, pre and post workout foods, water intake etc... it's not possible for us to give you advice or help without this detailed information... sorry you're not feeling it; post up and we'll help get you on the right track!

Sure! Most days this is what I eat:

Breakfast:

-3-4 eggs, 3-4 pieces of bacon, a banana and a cup of coffee, 16 oz. water. Whatever coffee is left in the French press I take to work. 

Lunch:

-salad with harvest chicken and half an avocado. I make the Italian vinagarette from the whole 30 cookbook. If I didn't eat my banana in the morning I have it with lunch or an apple, and usually another 16oz of water. I also drink water throughout the day

Dinner:

a protein, a vegetable, and a few miniature potatoes or sweet potato fries. Sometimes I will add a salad with another half of avocado if I'm still hungry. I also have a glass of water. Some nights after work I will add a scoop of natural calm to my water or make a cup of sleepy time tea. 

I work 12 hr shifts as a trauma nurse so I usually walk about 5 miles a day at work 3 times a week.  I work out 3 days a week for 30 min- 1hr doing running intervals with cross training. Atleast one of my workouts is done before a shift. However the past two weeks I have only been working out twice a week. I can't find the energy to do more right now.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Jackskait said:

Sure! Most days this is what I eat:

Breakfast:

-3-4 eggs, 3-4 pieces of bacon, a banana and a cup of coffee, 16 oz. water. Whatever coffee is left in the French press I take to work. 

Lunch:

-salad with harvest chicken and half an avocado. I make the Italian vinagarette from the whole 30 cookbook. If I didn't eat my banana in the morning I have it with lunch or an apple, and usually another 16oz of water. I also drink water throughout the day

Dinner:

a protein, a vegetable, and a few miniature potatoes or sweet potato fries. Sometimes I will add a salad with another half of avocado if I'm still hungry. I also have a glass of water. Some nights after work I will add a scoop of natural calm to my water or make a cup of sleepy time tea. 

I work 12 hr shifts as a trauma nurse so I usually walk about 5 miles a day at work 3 times a week.  I work out 3 days a week for 30 min- 1hr doing running intervals with cross training. Atleast one of my workouts is done before a shift. However the past two weeks I have only been working out twice a week. I can't find the energy to do more right now.

Hey there

Okay, you're not really eating enough/your meals need a bit of tweaking which could be why you're not feeling great energy wise.

Bacon is not an awesome fat source and since you're not really feeling the magic, I would strongly suggest that you go for avocado, olives, mayo or something of a bit denser fat source... bacon is okay for a treat but not really suggested to eat daily.  Your breakfast also has zero vegetables? So half your plate is missing right there... 

Lunch sounds good but does your salad have any hearty veggies in it?  Greens really chew down to nothing so a salad needs to be like a bucketful.  Also, how much chicken are you having?  Is it 1-2 palms?  Since you're not feeling well, I would suggest maybe eat to the higher end of the template on fat and protein for a bit.

I can't tell on your dinner as there are no specifics but the same advice as the other two meals stands.  The template is the minimum amount of food an adult needs to survive.  If you have a very active job and you're working out two or three times a week and I see no mention of pre and post workout, then it's no wonder you're feeling low energy, you're not eating enough.

I understand with a history of anorexia that it's probably exceptionally difficult to hear that you need to eat more (not sure where in your recovery you are), but the proof is in the pudding, your energy is tanking, you're irritable and your anxiety is getting worse... all related my friend.

Thank you so much! I've been in recovery for 10 years and only had one relapse 7 years ago, so I'm doing pretty well. I really appreciate your help and will add veggies in the morning. Sorry for the lack of dinner information. Last night I got a salad with double carnitas, salsa and guacamole for supper. It changes every night unlike most of my breakfasts and lunches. I usually time my workouts to be before a meal. Either breakfast or lunch. And my chicken at lunch is atleast two palm size. I will add the things you suggested and post in a few days.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Jackskait said:

Thank you so much! I've been in recovery for 10 years and only had one relapse 7 years ago, so I'm doing pretty well. I really appreciate your help and will add veggies in the morning. Sorry for the lack of dinner information. Last night I got a salad with double carnitas, salsa and guacamole for supper. It changes every night unlike most of my breakfasts and lunches. I usually time my workouts to be before a meal. Either breakfast or lunch. And my chicken at lunch is atleast two palm size. I will add the things you suggested and post in a few days.

Consider googling 'whole30 pre and post workout recommendations'.  You owe yourself the additional meals if you're working out (not to mention your active job).  Don't cheat yourself with rolling the post workout into a meal... the pre workout you can probably do with the previous meal but post should be fit in there somewhere.

Good luck and please come back and let us know how you're doing and if you have any other questions we can help with!

Congrats on the major 10 year recovery milestone!  You're a strong and courageous person for being able to get help and recover from that!!!

Archived