Is an afternoon snack okay for energy purposes?

Hey! So I'm on day 4 and ever since I started Whole30 I crash around 3pm every day.  I'm like falling asleep on way home from work and have only exercised one of the 3 days because I've been way too tired.  Is it okay for me to eat a piece of fruit in the afternoon to give me some extra energy so that I can actually make it to the gym (and home alive, jk. but seriously though)?

I know snacking is kind of outlawed on whole30, especially in cases where you are feeding your "sugar dragon" but I'm not really feeding a sugar craving I'm just giving myself enough energy to make it through the day.  I really want to be able to get in good workouts while on this program to make the most of my healthy eating.

Also, I've tried drinking a cup of coffee in the afternoon and it basically does nothing. HELP!

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Imisscheese said:

Hey! So I'm on day 4 and ever since I started Whole30 I crash around 3pm every day.  I'm like falling asleep on way home from work and have only exercised one of the 3 days because I've been way too tired.  Is it okay for me to eat a piece of fruit in the afternoon to give me some extra energy so that I can actually make it to the gym (and home alive, jk. but seriously though)?

I know snacking is kind of outlawed on whole30, especially in cases where you are feeding your "sugar dragon" but I'm not really feeding a sugar craving I'm just giving myself enough energy to make it through the day.  I really want to be able to get in good workouts while on this program to make the most of my healthy eating.

Also, I've tried drinking a cup of coffee in the afternoon and it basically does nothing. HELP!

Okay so your meals probably need to be increased if you're eating lunch at noon and you're crashing at 3... are you making your meals match the template?

As far as snacking until you get that sorted, yes, we want you to eat... but a mini meal of protein and fat (say a hardboiled egg with a blob of mayo).  Fruit on it's own is discouraged and will not provide you the steady consistent energy you're after like protein and fat will.

Archived