Sad that I Goofed Up, Starting Over

JKath

I just need to vent a little. I thought I would be at the end of my 11th day tonight, but somehow, it never occurred to me to look at the ingredients of the Benefiber I take daily. Wheat dextrin! How did I not realize this? I'm so disappointed as I have been doing really well with cravings and following the food plan. My daughter is coming for a visit in late August and I had planned it so I'd be through the 30 days, hoping to go a little longer, but recognizing it would be tough to do with her here. Now, that won't happen and I'll be faced with a party we have to go to--already had to endure a graduation party with lots of off-limits food last week--and taking her out to eat. I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'll attempt to stick 11 more days on and hope for the best. Very frustrated and mad at myself for not thinking about this when I've been so careful about everything else! Despite this setback, I'm off to a good start on a change in habits and recognizing when I want something, why I want it, and that I can not have it and still be okay. Happy eating, everyone! 

Same thing happened to me! I got to day 10 a couple of days ago and was doing great but husband was in charge of supper and he put non-compliant seasoning on our chicken and sprayed the grill with something bad as well. Seems so silly, but I want to do everything right this time so started over. It's very hard to get motivated again but I'm just looking at it as a Whole 45. I also want to spend a lot of time reintroducing this time as well so I can really judge how food affects me. So I guess we are in it for a while. I'm sure your daughter will be supportive! My husband is pretty supportive but kind of thinks it's crazy too. But I'm sure you are experiencing some good things right now like I am--better sleep, rings looser on my fingers, more energy, better mood in general. So I'm just going to keep hanging in there. Hope you do, too!

Thanks, MMC. Yes, I guess Whole 45 is the way to look at it. I really wasn't planning to go back to my old ways after 30 days, anyway, but I just wanted to relax a little while my daughter is here with the baby and not worry as much about it. As for changes, I have been suffering with my arthritic knees the past few months as they are basically bone on bone now, but I want to avoid replacement surgery as long as possible, if not forever. That's one of the reasons I started the Whole 30, to lose a little weight and get the sugar out of my system because I know sugar affects my knees. Yesterday, I realized I hadn't thought too much about my knees lately, and I came up the stairs easier, too. Also, I feel less tense and anxious which is another one of my problems, also probably due to sugar and caffeine. I'm only having one glass of decaf iced tea a day. So, I will keep on going! Fortunately, my husband is supportive, although I know he misses going out to eat. Good luck to you!

On 8/5/2017 at 9:08 AM, MMC said:

It's very hard to get motivated again but I'm just looking at it as a Whole 45. 

@MMC, thank you for this perspective. This is a much easier way of facing it than beating ourselves up with the whole I-CAN'T-BELIEVE-I-HAVE-TO-START-OVER mentality. I had a major setback yesterday on Day 14, and so what would have been Day 15 for me today is now Day 1. Thank you, friends, for sharing about your setbacks too. This is a journey and often times the journey backtracks a little. But I am back on the path! :D

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, SweetEnough said:

@MMC, thank you for this perspective. This is a much easier way of facing it than beating ourselves up with the whole I-CAN'T-BELIEVE-I-HAVE-TO-START-OVER mentality. I had a major setback yesterday on Day 14, and so what would have been Day 15 for me today is now Day 1. Thank you, friends, for sharing about your setbacks too. This is a journey and often times the journey backtracks a little. But I am back on the path! :D

OH NO!  What happened??  Glad you're back on track!  Sometimes setbacks are JUST the thing we need to really cement in our minds that what we are/were doing is the best thing for us!

1 minute ago, SugarcubeOD said:

OH NO!  What happened??  Glad you're back on track!  Sometimes setbacks are JUST the thing we need to really cement in our minds that what we are/were doing is the best thing for us!

Thanks @SugarcubeOD, for saying that. So true! Well, this is a little embarrassing, but for whatever reason, I just forgot I was on Whole30 and dove right into a bag of seasoned-sugary corn tortilla chips. I was away from home at a house where I've snacked before, so I guess that old habit just took right over. And then once I realized I'd made that mistake, the whole rest of the day was a snowball of poor choices. My entire digestive system is revolting against me today. I guess I was a lot more detoxed and clean inside than I realized! I am thankful for this, though, because it forces me to face the fact that sugar is total poison for my body (and my mind!) and I need to be conscious of this in order to overcome my sugar addiction. :)

• Moderators
1 minute ago, SweetEnough said:

Thanks @SugarcubeOD, for saying that. So true! Well, this is a little embarrassing, but for whatever reason, I just forgot I was on Whole30 and dove right into a bag of seasoned-sugary corn tortilla chips. I was away from home at a house where I've snacked before, so I guess that old habit just took right over. And then once I realized I'd made that mistake, the whole rest of the day was a snowball of poor choices. My entire digestive system is revolting against me today. I guess I was a lot more detoxed and clean inside than I realized! I am thankful for this, though, because it forces me to face the fact that sugar is total poison for my body (and my mind!) and I need to be conscious of this in order to overcome my sugar addiction. :)

Oh crap!  Well that stinks!  Isn't it amazing how habits and old cues just take right over!  It's also saying something positive tho that you 'forgot' you were on Whole30 because it was becoming the norm for you... total bummer but glad you are going again and not letting this derail you!  March on sister!

Archived