Fatigue, period and hunger spikes!

I am on day 21 of my WHOLE30. I have managed well through travel and eating out and have not had much trouble until last week. Six days ago I started my period and it has been very heavy. I have been exhausted and have napped on many afternoons schedule permitting. Most nights I can't keep my eyes open past 10:30 (which is early for me)! I am also noticing that my hunger spikes have become more intense and feel like I'm suffering from low blood sugar. Though I never experienced a tiger blood phase I was previously feeling pretty even keel and my appetite was under control with very little desire/need to snack. I thought perhaps I was drinking too much coffee so decreased the last 2 days as well, but that made no difference. I drink a fair amount of water and lacroix throughout the day. I have every intention of finishing out the program but am concerned I am doing something wrong bc I certainly don't feel great. Please advise!

Here is a rundown of food/meals in past 2 days (btw I am 5 ft and have small hands!):

breakfast:two egg scrambled in olive oil with smoked salmon and slice of avocado /coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon

lunch: poke bowl with 2 cups lettuces, fresh salmon, masago (fish roe), olive oil and lemon for dressing, 2 raw oysters,  cucumber mango salad with lime

snack: cashews and coconut flakes

dinner: 1/3 roasted sweet potato slices with olive oil, grass fed beef burger with olives, mushrooms and onion sautéed in olive oil, green salad with compliant dressing, a handful watermelon cubes

breakfast: 2 poached eggs, plate of spinach sautéed in olive oil, coffee/coconut creamer

lunch: 3 cups lettuce greens, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 grilled chicken breast with olive oil and lime dressing

snack: apple, tablespoon almond butter, a few coconut flakes

dinner: grilled skirt steak with chimichurri sauce, olive oil roasted broccoli, handful of olives

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Cesandler said:

I am on day 21 of my WHOLE30. I have managed well through travel and eating out and have not had much trouble until last week. Six days ago I started my period and it has been very heavy. I have been exhausted and have napped on many afternoons schedule permitting. Most nights I can't keep my eyes open past 10:30 (which is early for me)! I am also noticing that my hunger spikes have become more intense and feel like I'm suffering from low blood sugar. Though I never experienced a tiger blood phase I was previously feeling pretty even keel and my appetite was under control with very little desire/need to snack. I thought perhaps I was drinking too much coffee so decreased the last 2 days as well, but that made no difference. I drink a fair amount of water and lacroix throughout the day. I have every intention of finishing out the program but am concerned I am doing something wrong bc I certainly don't feel great. Please advise!

Here is a rundown of food/meals in past 2 days (btw I am 5 ft and have small hands!):

breakfast:two egg scrambled in olive oil with smoked salmon and slice of avocado /coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon

lunch: poke bowl with 2 cups lettuces, fresh salmon, masago (fish roe), olive oil and lemon for dressing, 2 raw oysters,  cucumber mango salad with lime

snack: cashews and coconut flakes

dinner: 1/3 roasted sweet potato slices with olive oil, grass fed beef burger with olives, mushrooms and onion sautéed in olive oil, green salad with compliant dressing, a handful watermelon cubes

breakfast: 2 poached eggs, plate of spinach sautéed in olive oil, coffee/coconut creamer

lunch: 3 cups lettuce greens, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 grilled chicken breast with olive oil and lime dressing

snack: apple, tablespoon almond butter, a few coconut flakes

dinner: grilled skirt steak with chimichurri sauce, olive oil roasted broccoli, handful of olives

I'm sorry you're not feeling well :(

It looks like you're not actually eating enough and then seeing the snacks is a pretty good indication of that.

Even a small person such as yourself can hold more than 2 eggs (eggs when your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping) so on the days you only have eggs, up that to three or add more protein.  Your meals are a bit all over the place as some have lots of protein and no veggies and some have veggies and little protein... I would increase those meals to the upper end of the template for things like chicken breast... even a 5' tall person would eat an entire chicken breast, not half... Your poke bowl lunch was probably a bit small too as far as protein goes from what I've seen of poke bowls...

Overall, increase your protein and fat, make sure you're getting a plate of veggies every meal.  Also, water should be 1/2 oz per pound of body weight and don't forget to salt your food.

Archived