Looking for an Over 50 Group to blog with

RBCali

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I'm 54 too. I want to feel healthier. I started Sunday. I feel less bloated, and the heartburn is gone. I've been light headed in the afternoons, but I guess that is my body adjusting. 

I'm hoping to lose some weight, and I hope it's not too hard at this age. 

I need to do lots of food prep this weekend, and try to resolve my aversion to buying raw meat. I don't have enough to eat!

Kimmmmmm (that's a lot of m's :) ) - I am 55 and lost about 40 lbs (over 3 months).  That is not typical, and I started at an obese level, but weight loss IS possible at our age.  Mods can provide more details, but light headed can usually be attributed to not eating enough, or not having template meals (veggies, protein, fat).  Welcome!

Hi everyone, I am also 54, doing my second Whole30 (although my goal right now is 60 days).  I ate Paleo for several years and gradually started adding bad stuff back in over the last year (including pizza with extra cheese, wine, baked goods, and dreaded fast foods).  Eating like a typical American really!

Anyway, I  am on Day 14, and feeling a little loosening in my clothes.  I am looking forward to week 3 as that was when I really started to feel fabulous last time.  My biggest challenge is that my fiance is a competitive power lifter who is constantly  trying to gain weight because his metabolism is so fast and he struggles with keeping weight on.  He is a native Texan so southern cooking (fried stuff with sauces and gravies) is what he prefers.  He is super supportive of my efforts and our agreement is that he should feel comfortable making his own food choices and I will support them as he does me.  But, guys, it's hard having cinnamon rolls sitting on our kitchen island and watching him eat fried appetizers at a restaurant.  

I've remained strong and know this is the right approach for me.  But, did I mention how hard it is? 

Whining is over.  Appreciate you listening.  ;)  I love that I found this string.  

1 hour ago, Luvlife905 said:

My biggest challenge is that my fiance is a competitive power lifter who is constantly  trying to gain weight because his metabolism is so fast and he struggles with keeping weight on.  He is a native Texan so southern cooking (fried stuff with sauces and gravies) is what he prefers.  He is super supportive of my efforts and our agreement is that he should feel comfortable making his own food choices and I will support them as he does me.  But, guys, it's hard having cinnamon rolls sitting on our kitchen island and watching him eat fried appetizers at a restaurant.  

I've remained strong and know this is the right approach for me.  But, did I mention how hard it is? 

I so hear you @Luvlife905!  My hubby is fit and as trim as the day I married him 100 years ago!  His work is active and he can eat whatever he wants.  Although he is supportive of me he still wants to live his life too.  Our strategy is to get stuff that I'm not overly fussed on but he gets a version of what he loves.  This works out well cos we buy the choc coated biscuits just not the ones that I love (and goodness knows there are 34 other different kinds!).  There are just some things I can't have in the house but there are always other versions he's more than happy with.  It isn't perfect but it's the best win/win we can do - for 30 days.  Please pick another roll - not the cinnamon!  Just as an aside I find it much harder when I'm tired, stressed  or bored so I'm trying to work around this too but it's a s.....l....o....w process.   Good luck! 

Hello Over 50 Group!

Today is a good day! Today is Day44 for me. I'm not ready to start full reintroduction as I'm not quite sure what I want to start adding back in. I feel good right now the way I'm eating. I am doing  the "slow roll" reintroduction for now.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and it's official, I lost 11 pounds over the last 6 weeks. That was great news! My AC1 hadn't changed, but the doctor reassured me that it takes up to three months to see a difference. We scheduled another check in November.

I kind of like the idea that it's my choice to eat something non-compliant, because I know the rest of my food is good and clean. One thing I have been doing, which kind of blew me away when I realized it, is when I have a craving, and I've been having a couple here and there, I stop and ask myself, am I hungry or is it a craving. If I answer "hungry" then I treat myself to a mini-meal of a healthy fat and a protein. Works like a charm! 

7 hours ago, KimmM said:

Hi, I'm 54 too. I want to feel healthier. I started Sunday. I feel less bloated, and the heartburn is gone. I've been light headed in the afternoons, but I guess that is my body adjusting. 

I'm hoping to lose some weight, and I hope it's not too hard at this age. 

I need to do lots of food prep this weekend, and try to resolve my aversion to buying raw meat. I don't have enough to eat!

KimmM, Congratulations on starting the Whole30. I noticed the bloating and heartburn early on too. As far as the meat goes, maybe you can buy some already cooked meats at your local market. Just be sure the meat wasn't prepared with sugar, as in a marinade or rub. I like uncured grass fed hot dogs. I have found a brand at trader joe's that doesn't have any added sugar or other non-compliant ingredients. Do you like tuna? That's another good protein source. Tuna salad with tomatoes and avocado, yummm! Just be careful when buying tuna as many of the brands have added soy in them. Also, as I mentioned above, I have lost 11 pounds and I'm 60. And that was without much exercise. I have just started walking again, these last two weeks, so my Whole30 was pretty much all "no exercise". And remember, we women lose weight at a slower rate than our male counterparts.

On 8/31/2017 at 8:08 AM, jenn814 said:

53 and on my third.....  I'm great at getting thru the 30 days... and not so great after that.  Committed to making this time different and changing the way I make choices about how I treat my body.

Hey jenn814, you may want to look into the "slow role" reintroduction for after this next Whole30. Melissa H. explains it here: https://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/I'm still trying to figure out if I'm afraid to reintroduce foods because I may go back to my original habits, or if just need a little more time on Whole30. I'm really enjoying the way I'm eating and how I feel, so I'm not feeling like I'm deprived in any way. And you are worth making the effort. When I turned 50, that was the year I was going to "get back in shape". Well, I am just finishing my first Whole30 and I am 60. I wish I had the last 10 years back and feeling like I feel now. I am just grateful that I discovered Whole30 and finally have a plan to eat right for myself and my body.

Hi Over 50s.

I am 53 and on my first whole30.  I can't believe I've gone a whole 8 days with no bread!

I confess that I have not been 100% compliant - a friend served me a watermelon salad which I later learned had soy sauce and sugar in it.  I figure the amounts were so small that I'm not starting over for that.  I also was naughty and put some knorr chicken stock in a recipe of their cauliflower rice from the book,, and I purposefully didn't read the ingredients!  I know that it likely contained a bit of gluten, so I am bummed that I did that actually.  But nope, still not starting over.  For me this isn't really about food sensitivities - I don't have any that I know of, but about changing my relationship with food, which it already has!

I hope you are all doing well.  I've read that days 10 and 11 are the most likely drop-out days, so I'm going to really try to show myself some tough love on those days.

Enjoy your journeys!

Mo

Hi RBCali. Congrats on doing so well! Hemoglobin A1C takes a while to change since red cells live about 120 days. 

I actually had heartburn and bloating before the program and it went away after I started. 

Unfortunately I don't like any meat or fish, even tuna. I really have an aversion. I'm fine eating chicken breast or lean beef, but the smell of raw meat in the meat dept at Whole Foods was too much. 

I like the idea of the program, but I find myself eating hard boiled eggs, fruit and nuts for the most part. Vegetables at dinner along with protein and fruit.  Not the best. 

I'm going to try to stick with it and prep food this weekend, but right now my stomach doesn't feel great and I'm definitely discouraged. 

Im not sure this can work since I don't have a taste for a variety of foods. My staple diet before this has always been carb based. 

Congrats RBcalli!  Wow, 11 pounds, that's awesome!  (I know, it's not about the weight).  That's good to know that A1C doesn't necessarily come down for quite awhile after improving food choices. I did not know that.  I am on day 23 today.  Am starting to look ahead to reintroduction as I definitely don't want to just go right back to where I started.  I may do the slow roll reintroduction as well.  I have also found if I get cravings mid meal, or somewhere in there, it usually means I didn't eat enough, or enough fat at the last meal.  A mini meal of a protein & some type of fat usually does the trick for me too.  Do you suppose the tigers blood feeling is because of ketosis?  Just something I have been pondering.  KimmM I'm afraid I am not much help in the meat aversion dept, as the smell of meat roasting with lots of garlic makes my mouth water.  HOWEVER, raw meat in an overly warm environment can have that reaction on me, so I can empathize there.  I experienced that in an open air market in Mexico, & once in Alaska when my brother was butchering a deer in his 80 degree house. Don't want to dwell on that.  So, yes, maybe, just maybe, the compliant hot dogs or sausages might help-they are already cooked & have spices.  Anyway, have a good day everyone!

So glad I found this forum!  Day 1 down!  Yay!  I really got into reading The Whole30 book last night and have to admit I'm a little anxious about the timeline that was published....I'm hoping that with this forum I can power through.  Going to hit the stores today and do some massive cooking this weekend.  Purposely focusing on this for 30 days and respectfully declining invitations out - just for 30 days.  Have any of the 'long timers' (lol - more than one day is what I mean) tried doing the 30 days in that way?  I feel it's opening myself up for failure if I go out.  I'm sure that after 30 days I'll be smarter on my choices, but....thoughts?

Thanks all for your posts and have a wonderful weekend!

Hi there - I just turned 50 this month and have been eating vegetarian for about 6 years. A few months ago I added fish back (salmon and tuna pretty much) but I can't really bring myself to add "real meat". I am super intrigued by the Whole 30 - I'd love to lose 15 pounds - but it seems like no matter how I tweak what I eat I can't lose anything at all. My other issue is that my cholesterol is quite high (I only get the readings when I donate blood and it isn't a fasting blood test - but it's been in the low 200s forever.) I read It Starts with Food and I totally buy the whole "carbs drive high cholesterol" argument - so I cut out a LOT of carbs (like hardly any bread at all, very minimal sweets, etc) and added a lot of eggs and fish.  The last cholesterol reading was 280 (!) and up 60 points from the last time. I was so sad since I was SURE I was doing the right thing.

I have to go and get a real blood test and am planning to meet with a functional medicine doctor to see what's going on - I know my regular doctor will be pushing the statins and I don't want to go there.

Anyway - rambling aside - I am trying to get myself psyched up to Whole 30 (or the vegetarian version or maybe the "Energy Reset" from Food Freedom which would have a little more leeway on non-animal proteins) despite living with a teenaged son who is underweight and needs to eat All. Of. The. Things. and a boyfriend who is heavily invested in the SAD and also has Type 1 Diabetes so messing with his carbs is sticky.  They all (and my mother who is just getting her head around the vegetarian thing 6 years later) think I am out of my mind.  I am happy to read through this thread and see so many people having positive experiences.

Hi @KJLuckyGirl welcome. That cholesterol issue is difficult! I had very highly chol and triglycerides, and I'm on a statin. My entire Dad's side of the family has heart disease and my Grandmother died at 62 of a heart attack, so I'm fine with the statin. I don't have side effects and my numbers are down. I'm not convinced that's enough to really prevent heart disease, and I'd like to lose weight, so here I am. My mostly carb diet needed to go. It's hard to find enough to eat since I don't like meat or fish, but I'm trying. Getting enough fat is hard too. I'm failing at that.  I'm not going to give up. I hope you try it! 

Well....I caved at the father's day celebrations but that was a choice.  I was only a couple of days in so I'm starting day 1 again.  I'm actually looking forward to doing this and feeling better from the inside out.  Hope everyone is going well no matter where you are up to.  

Here is one for you, I'm not sure how to be part of an online forum.  If I venture from this page, you guys may never hear from me again.  I've looked through so many tabs on the Whole30 website, but so many of the comments are sometimes years old.  Finding this group, and actually finding the spot to type the reply was sheer luck.  

Day 5, I am still dealing with night time hunger, I actually asked myself if fish and broccoli sounded good at 8pm last night and the answer was YES!  I cooked some chicken breast and ate it.  I think my biggest issue is planning FULL meals and eating them spaced at appropriate meal times.  I just retired a couple months ago, and I am still trying to find balance in my days with a rigid schedule like I was used too.  I'm dealing with stress over an adult daughter, 15hrs away, going through some major life complications.  That usually triggers eating for me. However, I told myself, life-happens, I've got to stay true to myself or what good am I to anyone else.

So, I think day 5 will be fine.  I am planning and shopping today to get me through the weekend.  It's all a journey, we learn as we go! 

The moderators will be able to help more specifically than I can, but night time hunger is likely caused by not having enough fat in your meals.  It did take me about 3 weeks before I got the meal sizes and portions between veggies/proteins/fats dialed in - at that point, I could almost set a clock by my hunger as it would be 5-6 hours after the previous meal.  

Hang in there with this - I have experienced profound health improvements as a result of my dietary changes - I completed my Whole30 August 4 and I continue to eat 90%+ compliant as I am not willing to regress on my health - and I really enjoy how I eat now.

Welcome!

Hi to TheJourney.  I clicked on a tab at the bottom of this page that says notify me of replies.   Now, every time someone posts to this particular forum I get a notice on my email.  Otherwise, like you, I might not be able to navigate my way back.  Today is day 28 for me, and I am thinking ahead to reintroduction.  I only really miss a few things-cheese, wine, & stevia, or monk fruit sweetener.  Just a little of these sweeteners in some club soda would make all the difference for me.  I really miss some cheese crumbles in a salad.  The fact that I miss it may be a sign of a trouble area?  Ditto for the wine.  I am grateful every morning for not having had any tho.  I, too, use stress as a reason to eat.  Recently worried about hubby's upcoming medical issues.  I keep reminding myself that this is a part of life, and there will always be something!  And can anything tear us up as badly as things going awry for our children, adult or not, doesn't matter.  My 2 cents for the day.

Hi Carla, Thank you so much for the "replies" button info.  That really helps!

There is something very empowering about ending day 6, and moving into 7! Wow! I am doing this! Wow! I am really going to do this! It is a good feeling to know that you have control over a part of your life that has always been such an issue. I have paid so much money to different diet groups, sometimes I even lost weight, but I always gained it back.  With the Whole30 I feel like I own it, I have made the decision to make myself better, healthier, happier.   Perhaps by the end of day 7 I'll start seeing some faint "tiger stripes" appearing!  Carla, I worry about reintroductions after this is over, also, but it might be that I wont want to take a chance on ruining anything I worked to hard to achieve. I love wine, but I'm really loving cold water now, so if I get out and move, and drink lots of water, then a glass of wine might not sound so appealing.  Evenings are my challenge, so I am starting to give myself some new goals to fill that time, like learning golf, dance classes with my husband, and bike riding together.  I am beginning to feel like there is an entire life out there I have been missing because I was so tired and run down.  I am no longer willing to be a bystander, I want to be in the game!  

35 minutes ago, TheJourney said:

I am beginning to feel like there is an entire life out there I have been missing because I was so tired and run down.  I am no longer willing to be a bystander, I want to be in the game!  

Sounds like the beginning of tiger blood to me...  :D 

I joined the "starting Sept 5 forum"  but thought I would enjoy interacting with this group too.  I am 69 and this is my second whole 30.  I have a major sugar addiction and thought I had it half way under control after I did the reintroduction.  Unfortunately, I drifted back into some of my bad habits.  I love to bake and found myself baking 4 cakes in a 10 day period.  No, I didn't eat all of them but let's just say I went way beyond moderation.  Hope everyone has a great day!

Welcome @pilatesfan  Good luck with your second round. I have a major sugar and carb addiction also. It was pretty much all I ate before. I'm on day 12ish and still lightheaded. I am eating fruit and potatoes, but still. I'm stuffing myself at meals, adding fat, really forcing the food in, and I'm still lightheaded. Having a little trouble concentrating at work. I have to walk away when I can't concentrate. I don't know how much longer I can stand feeling this way. 

Hey over 50's!  Day 7 is done and in the books! Ready for a great 8? I am!  I have started getting tired of some of the foods I seem to be eating over and over again.  I'm really going to try some of the great recipes I found on Whole30 Instagram.  Cooking and cleaning up after two or three meals a day really takes some extra time, I hadn't expected that, but it is certainly worth it. Hope you are all doing well!

@TheJourney, variety IS the spice of life.  If you can find it on Instagram, I loved the Walnut Crusted Pork Tenderloin (p. 252, 253 of the Whole30 guide).  I love most anything pork.  In my crockpot today I started http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14723/slow-cooker-pork-chops/ with a pork loin instead of chops, and two jars of Bubbie's sauerkraut.  Now THAT is a stupid-easy meal. 

And this is a great change for breakfast, https://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/20/sweet-and-savory-blueberry-omelet/.  Mine never comes out the pretty yellow like the picture but that doesn't stop me from gobbling it down.

Archived