Long Runs

Blueline

I am currently in day 24 of my first Whole30 and I was able to talk my daughter into doing it with me, so I started over at Day 1 yesterday.  I am a distance runner that has always had the stubborn 10 pounds to drop and I wanted to start eating better.  I am a distant runner, I run half-marathons and currently in training for one in October.  I feel amazing and have energy for my runs but I have 3 questions:  recommendations for pre-night long run/race meal,  what should I take in during long runs and post race recovery?  Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Blueline said:

I am currently in day 24 of my first Whole30 and I was able to talk my daughter into doing it with me, so I started over at Day 1 yesterday.  I am a distance runner that has always had the stubborn 10 pounds to drop and I wanted to start eating better.  I am a distant runner, I run half-marathons and currently in training for one in October.  I feel amazing and have energy for my runs but I have 3 questions:  recommendations for pre-night long run/race meal,  what should I take in during long runs and post race recovery?  Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Have you looked through the threads in this section to see what other people do? There are many endurance athletes who have posted in the forum what they do and tips and tricks.  Try looking through the existing information first and if you still can't find what you're looking for, we can see what we can add.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not exactly an old hand, but I did find this:

- Make sure to eat more carbs ahead of a long run.  Doesn't really matter what, so pick what you like.  Starchy seems to be the recommendation of choice here over fruit; I'm not sure I agree.  But try that first and see what happens.

- During a run, try dates rolled in salt and potassium chloride.  I've also read about people using boiled eggs on their long runs.  Also, try coconut water 

- Afterward, it's all about rehydrating, rebuilding your electrolytes, and rebuilding depleted carbs.  For me, that meant a mix of water, a fruit juice, salt, and potassium chloride.  For you it might look different.  

ThyPeace, I will also note that walking in the house from a long run is NOT the time you want your kid saying, "Hey Mama, do you want a Rice Krispies treat?"  But you know, it tasted really, really good.  

Archived