Starting Whole 30 today!

kathleen237

Hi everyone,

I'm back for the second time--did a successful Whole 30 last September, and felt great.  However, the past few months I've gotten way off track. Yesterday was hitting bottom--I had not only two "breakfast bars"(loaded with 9 g of sugar) but also a donut, and ice cream! I crashed at 5 pm--and slept through until early this morning.  I've been planning on doing a Whole 30--and realize now is the time!

Breakfast: Wild salmon, greens, carrot sticks, and apple wedges.

I'm a little concerned about the "carb flu"--any advice on how to keep symptoms to a minimum? I work a demanding job as a counselor, and can't afford to be too foggy.

Anyway, looking forward to feeling amazing again!

Hi Kathleen237 - welcome back!  

I'm on my 9th day of my first round and I am loving this - I thought I would be miserable, but so far, so good.  I've had some of the expected reactions/symptoms, but most have been pretty mild and followed pretty close to the Expectations Timeline.  

With regards to what could help???  I actually read parts of the book almost every night (even though I've read almost the entire book - skipped the pregnancy part and didn't read every recipe) and I refer back to the timeline a lot.  Seeing the timeline and knowing what I can possibly expect certainly makes my brain feel better.  

Here's to feeling amazing!

• Moderators
8 hours ago, kathleen237 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm back for the second time--did a successful Whole 30 last September, and felt great.  However, the past few months I've gotten way off track. Yesterday was hitting bottom--I had not only two "breakfast bars"(loaded with 9 g of sugar) but also a donut, and ice cream! I crashed at 5 pm--and slept through until early this morning.  I've been planning on doing a Whole 30--and realize now is the time!

Breakfast: Wild salmon, greens, carrot sticks, and apple wedges.

I'm a little concerned about the "carb flu"--any advice on how to keep symptoms to a minimum? I work a demanding job as a counselor, and can't afford to be too foggy.

Anyway, looking forward to feeling amazing again!

Make sure your meals are matching the template... you have no fat in your breakfast (cooking fat doesn't count). As far as carb flu, make sure you're eating at least a fist sized serving of starchy carbs a day, 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, salt your food and three meals a day to match the template.  If you need to eat between meals until you get sizes sorted out, don't go for fruit and nuts, go for protein and fat.  Other than that, your symptoms are going to be directly related to how poorly you were eating previously... 

14 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Make sure your meals are matching the template... you have no fat in your breakfast (cooking fat doesn't count). As far as carb flu, make sure you're eating at least a fist sized serving of starchy carbs a day, 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, salt your food and three meals a day to match the template.  If you need to eat between meals until you get sizes sorted out, don't go for fruit and nuts, go for protein and fat.  Other than that, your symptoms are going to be directly related to how poorly you were eating previously... 

Thanks for responding--I should have mentioned that with the salad greens at breakfast, I had a homemade oil/vinegar dressing.  I did pretty well yesterday, considering I haven't been grocery shopping yet, and was on the road all day long for my job.  I had a lot of carrots--a starchy carb--salted my food, but grabbed a Lara bar midday. Today I will plan better, and bring a lunch to work.

I felt pretty good, surprisingly--had more energy than usual. The only carb flu symptom I had was a mild headache all day.

Thanks again for the input!

16 hours ago, Rottiegirl2017 said:

Hi Kathleen237 - welcome back!  

I'm on my 9th day of my first round and I am loving this - I thought I would be miserable, but so far, so good.  I've had some of the expected reactions/symptoms, but most have been pretty mild and followed pretty close to the Expectations Timeline.  

With regards to what could help???  I actually read parts of the book almost every night (even though I've read almost the entire book - skipped the pregnancy part and didn't read every recipe) and I refer back to the timeline a lot.  Seeing the timeline and knowing what I can possibly expect certainly makes my brain feel better.  

Here's to feeling amazing!

Hi Rottiegirl-thanks for responding!

I felt pretty darn good on my first day--more energy than usual, and just a slight headache all day long, so pretty mild symptoms, as you've reported as well.

Thanks for the advice--am reading a chapter a day of It Starts With Food to stay motivated and on track.

I just have to get out today and stock up on fruits and vegetables--I haven't been grocery shopping!

Have a great day!

Archived