Gum substitute for a play??

FunnyGirlFriday

This is a strange request, and I hope this is an ok forum to go in.

Is there anything Whole30 approved that could pass (visually) as a substitute for gum?

I'm an actor and need to chew gum in a role. I'm on day 24 and begged off doing it today to try and figure something out. I'm playing a Valley Girl type: I would love to blow a bubble, play with it on my finger, do 'gum business' etc. BUT at the very least I need to pull it out of a pack and chew it for the scene.

However: I don't want to break my Whole30! I was hoping to go longer than 30 days because I have done Whole30 many times and still feel I'm totally addicted to everything and I need more time....I'm super bummed to break it on gum, which I don't even like. But, as an actor, I need to do it: it's in the script and I've committed. 

Can anyone think of anything I can buy or make that could look like a stick of gum? I can't think of a damn thing. 

Thank you!

Thank you! I also thought maybe a piece of fruit leather? That I cut into the shape of a stick of gum? 

I don't know....technically I'll be doing it on day 31, but I had planned to continue, so I'm disappointed. I'll have to do it three times until September 9th, and I don't want to stop and then start again, as I don't trust myself. I guess I'll just have to do it, spit it out after the scene, and carry on. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, FunnyGirlFriday said:

Thank you! I also thought maybe a piece of fruit leather? That I cut into the shape of a stick of gum? 

I don't know....technically I'll be doing it on day 31, but I had planned to continue, so I'm disappointed. I'll have to do it three times until September 9th, and I don't want to stop and then start again, as I don't trust myself. I guess I'll just have to do it, spit it out after the scene, and carry on. 

If fruit leather would work, that's an option.

Since you'll be done with Whole30, this could be a time to do a little bit of riding your own bike. Buy a pack of gum, leave it at the theater, have it when you need to, and go back to Whole30 eating each time. When the play is over, give what's left of the pack to someone else, or toss it in the trash. It's not so much that you're starting and stopping a Whole30, you're developing a post-Whole30 plan that works for you -- and proving to yourself that when you are in a situation where you need to have something that isn't Whole30, you can have it and not let it derail you completely. Consider these a bit of a reintroduction (of sugar, or xylitol, or whatever is in the gum you choose). See if it affects cravings for sweets or more gum, but remember that you're only having this gum, these few times, when you need to, and then getting right back to Whole30.

Archived