May contain traces of...

Brett2077

My fiance and I are trying to do some trial runs before we start our whole 30 on 1/1, so we've been going over labels a lot more now. I often see the ingredients look all right, but then it says may contain trace amounts of: milk, wheat, etc. I think this is only because of the packaging plant, but want to know if it's fine, limit, or avoid. All input is appreciated.

Personally I never bother with this. Basically they're just covering their arses so that if you have an actual allergy, you know, like even a trace of peanut etc can kill you, you can't sue them if you have a reaction to their product. As you say it just means these products are used in the same factory and there might be a remote chance of airborne contamination but nothing to worry about - unless of course it would kill you.

They're on a lot of products over here. There's been so much 'elf 'n' safety, that to claim a product is for instance 'nut free', it must be made on a production line that never uses nuts for anything and is air sealed from the possibility of cross contamination. Therefore a lot of manufacturers state "may contain traces of..." as that legally covers them.

I was wondering the same thing. I bought a jar of dry roasted Macadamia Nuts.

It says: Ingredients: Macadamia Nuts; On the next line it says:

Contains: Macadamia nuts. May contain: peanuts, cashews, almonds, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, walnuts, coconut, soy milk, wheat.

This is crazy as the jar obviously has Macadamia nuts in it. What gives?

Thanks Tom! One more quick question, what about silicon dioxide? I was seeing that a lot in the spice cabinet last night. I can pronounce it, but not sure on some of those types of things. It usually would say that the silicon dioxide was used for free flowing or as an anti-caking agent.

• 3 weeks later...

It was actually a law in the US that was passed about 7/8 years ago that if anything with any of the 8 main allergens (nuts, eggs, milk, wheat, soy, etc) is produced in the same plant at any time, they have to label it. Having a child with food allergies (although not the main 8), it was a huge positive addition to the labeling. Aparently, egg has about 30 different formats in ingredients lists-- none that contain the word egg.

We have a plain M&M plant 20 miles away that has to label "may contain peanuts" because 10+ years ago they produces plain and peanut.

• 8 months later...

Archived