Last Day of My Whole 30!! Just a few questions, though...

jenni268

Hi all! I am so very excited to report that today is the final day of my very first Whole30! What an incredible experience!

I am no longer constantly fighting my sugar addiction (I still get random cravings, but they are few, far between, and entirely manageable), I have a more stable energy level, my moods have DRAMATICALLY leveled out, and I am thoroughly enjoying the way I feel from eating good, solid, healthy whole foods. Also, dropped about 12 pounds! :)

So why is this in the Troubleshoot forum?! I promise that I did it on purpose. :) I was feeling like superwoman at the end of week two. My energy levels were through the roof... I mean, to the point where I had more energy than I did as an eight year old kid. I was loving life, I didn't even think about trying to find paleo-fied versions of pancakes, treats, etc. I was getting ready to start back on my exercise routine and was determined to kick butt.

Then I got sick. Well, then my daughter shared her nasty little cold with me, I should say. And we've still got it. Oh, we're past the "I feel like death" part of it, but the congestion has lingered on for two weeks. So now I'm struggling with skewed sleeping patterns that go hand in hand with odd energy levels... I am sluggish all morning and have jittery energy at night. My levels are still more stable than pre-W30, but they aren't where they were during week 2. Also, and this is difficult to adequately express in words, my insides don't feel as good. It feels like my hormone levels or just body functions are just... off. I can't really explain it.

I think there might have been trace amounts of sugar (maltodextrin) in some of the medicine I was taking, but I don't see how that was avoidable.

Do you think this is just the remnants of a virus hanging on? Could my body just be working to heal itself? I'm trying to reconcile how I feel now with how I felt at the end of week 2. I am really new to the concept of being this in-tune with my body so I'm feeling at a loss.

Either way, I consider my W30 a complete success. Even if I felt the way I do now without that "week 2 high" I experienced, I still feel better than I have in years. And, other than purposefully planning on responsibly off-roading on T-Day, I have no plans to break from the Whole30 eating style.

So any advice, experience, words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. You've all been so great to me through this 30 days and I consider it a huge part of my actually sticking to this plan! THANKS!

Hi!

Sorry you got sick. That's bad luck.

I had a similiar experience with my whole 30--I got sick just as I was starting to feel like a million bucks. So, I decided that I needed to extend my whole30. I'd felt cheated by having got sick--and I had a few issues I wanted to work on. I'm now on Day 45. I love my energy levels and stamina. Maybe you'd like to go on for another ten days or so? You don't want to mess up reintroduction with Thanksgiving, though, so think about it carefully.

Have you some leftovers you can microwave? Bone broth is always handy in a situation like this. I was lucky to have some made up when I wasn't feeling well. One day I just sipped on it all day. A hard boiled egg is easy--and easy on the stomach--as is a boiled sweet potato. Peppermint tea can help, too. Take care of yourself.

Thanks, Alana. I promise that I'm not normally whiny! :) It's a mixture of not feeling well, frustration and exhaustion. I do have some food items prepped in both the fridge and the freezer. I'm glad I did those!! I've been living off of English Breakfast Tea for these two weeks, as it's been the only I've been able to find with no soy products.

For interested parties..so, Alana :-)... My husband coerced me into going to the doctor tonight. Three prescriptions and a steroid shot later, I think it's safe to say that I didn't have just a cold and perhaps this raging infection is what is making my body feel 'not right'. :-)

have you gotten yourself sorted out, jenni? If the scripts don't work (well, even WHILE they're working) I highly recommend some vit d and some bone broth. Both of those get me through almost every New England bug I've ever caught since I've been paleo.

Oh my heavens, that sounds serious! I hope it all helps you feel better soon. I'm going to make some beef broth tomorrow in your honour! I have lots of chicken broth on hand...but I think I want the beef in case I get sick again.

My daughter likes to drink it too, so I hope she'll take some in the morning instead of her usual hot chocolate. (shudder.)

Archived