VERY athletic teenager

Kdappleseed

I have a 15 yr old with 6% body fat currently. We are on the whole30 plan, (me for the 2nd time :-). I am a little(a lot) concerned about taking complex carbs out of his diet. I am upping his fat, but he has no allergies, no joint pain, basically a SUPER healthy kid. Can he skip the 30 days and just eat a more relaxed plan? He is a wrestler and if you are not fully familiar with the sport you cannot begin to understand the energy exertion it takes. He cannot afford to lose his energy. Thanks for any help, and ideas on how to keep his energy levels high. Not to mention, he is in the process of trying to gain 7 lbs of muscle.....

• Moderators

A lean 15-year old can get all the nutrition he needs to grow stronger and bigger eating only Whole30-compliant foods. Eat two palm-size portions of protein at every meal and don't be afraid to eat fatty meats like sausage or rib eye steak. Eat whole eggs every day. Eat avocado, coconut milk, and olives every day. Eat at least two sweet potatoes per day and one at every meal would be okay. Eat 4 or 5 meals per day if needed to stay satisfied (I ate 5 to 6 meals per day during the first year I ate the Whole30 way). Now that may sound like a lot of food, but don't forget to eat lots of green and other-colored vegetables cooked with ghee, olive oil, etc.

Yep, what Tom said! Totally possible for him to do this 100%.

Generally you can't force teens to do this; they have to want to. They can always go over a friend's house and eat pizza. It's important for you to not make him more neurotic about his weight and food than I'm sure he already is (I've heard many a wrestling horror story).

I'd Only offer 100% W30 foods at home and then let him do whatever he wants outside your doors. That's where most of your control stops anyway; why stress over the thing out of your control?

Thanks for your great ideas......any other ideas than sweet potato or avacado, he can't stomach them, although he likes nuts. we are working on olives, he has never been much of a snacker, and therefore he thinks of olives as condiments. We are working on his food intake, food is not very important to him. He is not a weird eater or funny about food, just not real important to him..... But I will try to up his intake. I may send nuts to school with him, high in fat and some protein.

Archived