why keep a post30 log?

Alana in Canada

Hey folks,

I'm curious as to why some of you find it valuable to keep a post whoe30 log? I'm sure there are many reasons...but it I'm keeping one now while I'm doing the whole 30--and it's quite tedious! I had been thinking that one of the "benefits" of going off the whole 30 is that I don't have to keep up with the food log!

But, then again, I'm sure it's valuable, since so many of you do it. So, in short, why?

Thanks!

Hi Alana, funny you should ask because I've been keeping a post W30 (or in my case W60) log and I just made the decision today, not to log every day.

I decided W30 was basically the way I wanted to eat for life. I was already gluten and dairy free and tried to limit sugar so there wasn't a lot I was anxious to add back in. I'd got into the habit of logging what I ate and reckoned that if I kept on doing that it would keep me accountable to myself. It certainly did that but, for me, a bit too well. I'm now 14 days post W60 and I still haven't had any noncompliant food. I've made a couple of things that I wouldn't have made during a W30 but the actual ingredients have still been compliant.

Logging what I eat, I still subconsciously feel it should be *perfect W30* (I'm a virgo, what can I say? :) ). I realised today it's stopped me actually trying to reintroduce anything. I had some homemade burgers in the freezer (made preW30) and I was going to throw them out because I had added a spoonful of chipotle in adobo sauce to the mix and it contains sugar in the sauce. Then I realised that I was being a bit paranoid. I'm well post W30 and the amount of sugar in one 1/4 spoonful of chipotle (I'll only eat one of the four burgers at a time) can hardly be life threatening :). I don't have a sugar dragon, I just don't believe it's healthy.

I do intend to continue basically eating this way but I'm going to stop logging everything I eat to kill my need for *perfection*. I may log in about once a week to note any wild reactions I've had but I'm just going to take it as it comes.

At this point, I like the accountability. When you are whole30, you have a commitment to avoiding foods that may go away once you are "done". Now that I am "riding my own bike" it helps me look at the choices I am making every day, and think twice about whether I really want the less healthy choice.

Today being Thanksgiving here, once I log it may look like I offroaded, but I did so with a plan in mind about what I really wanted my offroading experience to look like.

Tomorrow begins a whole14, and I am just going to keep logging in my post-whole30 log.

I also like to get some words out of my head each day; sometimes that helps with the choices I may or may not make.

I have a log but I don't log every day. I log when something comes up- frustration, something I'm trying to work on, or even something good! I also don't log my specific food; I find that very tedious. I guess for me it is more of an ongoing food meditation... a way to keep working on being mindful about food. Also, I do find it helpful to look back at past entries as proof that slowly, over time, my mindset is changing.

Archived