Not enough energy

Hi there! 

This will be the second time I've done a whole30, and I'm just looking for advice on energy levels... 

I have 4 kids, ages 5,4,2.5 and 8 months and I am ALWAYS exhausted. I love the idea of whole30, and I always come back to it thinking it will help in that department and I just find nothing changes. I definitely feel better in some ways when I eat this way, however it doesn't even begin to help with my energy levels. I eat tons of ghee and oils, loads of potato/sweet potato and other starchy veggies and I just don't notice a difference and am wondering what I might need to try differently or if I just need to give it more time. 

I was anemic in my last pregnancy so severely that I was no longer a candidate for a home birth, and I am currently still breastfeeding my 8 month old and still up lots at night with my 2 year old. I suppose this could just be what my life may be like until the kids are older, but I'm really hoping I can change something so that I no longer feel like I'm dragging my butt all day. Any advice/words of wisdom are appreciated! 

• Moderators

So food cant solve chronic lack of sleep... You have four kids, you sty up late with the 2 year old and you're keeping an 8 month old alive with your own body... no kidding you're tired!

For women who are breastfeeding, it's important to eat at least four meals a day (or three and one split into two mini meals) and often we encourage increased fat intake throughout the day in the form of handfuls of olives or sipping coconut milk (which sounds super gross to me, but an Earl Grey Latte with coconut milk sounds divine!).

Have you been checked recently for anemia?  If you were so severely anemic only 8 months ago, it's possible this is still an issue or was resolved and is back.

Honestly, food can help a lot but there's a reason they say it STARTS with food.... :)

• 2 months later...

Hello! I know this is an old post but I thought I'd add my two cents here...

I have 3 kids who are 6, 3, and 16 months. My toddler nurses often (all day and through the night, though she eats lots of solid food as well) and my older kids wake at least once at night (yes, even the 6-year-old, still). They have always been wakeful people, just like their mama :) I have noticed that the earlier I go to bed, the better I feel, even with the frequent night waking. This means I don't get my precious "me-time" in the evenings but I figure that this is a season in my life and before I know it my kids will be grown and won't need me, so for now I do my best to maximize sleep within the reality that is my current life.

I also have noticed I feel much better without caffeine. I'm still a hopeless addict, but when I've succeeded in giving it up I always feel better. I keep going back but hope to be done with it for good... soon :) 

Hope you are feeling better!

• 3 months later...

Archived