Hormonal Eating - for Women Only

cawdjohns

Help! I'm pretty new to Whole30 (have done paleo), and do pretty well most of the time; however, I find that at certain times of the month, it feel almost impossible to curb cravings for sugar - breads, sweets, etc.... does this go away after your body gets more accustomed to the lifestyle or is this something that I should expect to fight indefinitely?

I can't speak for all women here, but can tell you that since eating this way since 9/22, overall my desire for sweets and bread is gone, and I am no longer driven insane with urges when my period is due. I am also more even-keeled moodwise. I believe once we get our hormones in check, those intense cravings do go away. I can also say that I am able to recognize that I do get hungrier right before my period. I acknowledge it and simply eat.more.real.food.

I was always been a hormonal eater. About 3 days of the month I would eat any awful junky-bread-sugar mess I could find. It's only been one cycle for me, but miraculously it didn't happen this month! I did notice I experienced the usual bit of being slightly more emotional, but the ravenous feeding frenzy didn't happen. I am optimistic that even the emotional piece will be further reduced in the coming months!

Keep up with eating well. It's amazing what our bodies do when we get the fuel we are meant to run on!

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is something in the Ladies Only section about this topic. Its normal to need extra carbohydrates around that time of the month. You might try adding sweet potato (or eating more of it) to see if this helps.

But, I know what you mean. I'm pregnant so I want carbs all the time now, but before I would know that time of the month was coming because out of nowhere I'd suddenly want sugar again. Eating a sweet potato with a good meal of meat, veggies and fat helped make that feeling go away. Much better than reaching for what you think you really want. ;)

Archived