January 1, 2013 Whole 30

JoyfulSusan

I know it's almost a month away but I am gearing myself up to start the Whole 30 again. I tried to do it once this year and didn't even make it through the first week. I have four weeks to prepare myself (and my kitchen/family). I have been sporadically paleo the past few months and made it through a week staying 100% paleo but this time of year is incredibly hard for me. I am TOTAL sugar/carb addict but I am hoping by this time next year, I will be able to keep that junk to a minimum.

The pic is my niece and me at Thanksgiving.

post-3123-0-49056300-1354650717_thumb.jp

So, I went on a total carbo-fest yesterday. I don't know what happened. (Well, I really do, but don't we all like to pretend we don't?) I got up, had two eggs cooked in coconut oil. Had a lovely salad for lunch (I make fabu salads). But I was still kind of hungry so I ate some raw nuts I had in my desk. Then about 3 pm, someone in my department at work got a promotion so we had cupcakes. I ate one (this is "what happened") because I am not starting the Whole30 until January, right? But, honestly, once I eat sugar, I am a gonner. I wasn't even that hungry before dinner last night. We had salmon, asparagus and roasted tomatoes. AND after dinner (totally not hungry at all), I ate a large piece of ciabatta bread and a poptart. Did I just need to get that last carbo-rama out of the way before I tackle this? I don't know but I felt so gross last night and still this morning. I am sitting here with my salad, feeling absolutely stuffed. NO SUGAR!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Birthday!

Even though you were not hungry after dinner, it is likely that the cupcake from the afternoon drove you to the snacks. That sugar dragon is a little devil, and you are biochemically driven to give in!

If I eat sugar/refined flours (aka cookies ;) ) one day, the next day I am ravenous!

Again, enjoy your day and your holidays and get ready to rock it!!

I decided to start eating paleo again today. I had to slay the sugar/carb dragon now. I'm still planning to go all out on January 1 with the whole30 but I was worriedifni didn't reign the crazy eating now, it would be even tougher on 1/1/13. Had two eggs for breakfast and about 6 pistachios at 10:30.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 1:

Meal 1 - 3 eggs, 2 cups of black coffee

Meal 2 - Leftover chicken, sweet potatoes and tomatoes.

Meal 3 - grilled salmon, roasted tomatoes

My biggest challege was at a yoga workshop I went to. The instructor had trail mix and juice for us afterward. Luckily, the trail mix was homemade with dried fruit and nuts. I had a small handful. And the juice was made from organic vegetables and nothing else. Yummy!

Day 2:

Meal 1 - 2 eggs, 2 cups black coffee

Meal 2 - leftover chicken, sweet potatoes and tomatoes

Meal 3 - Italian Stuffed Peppers from Practical Paleo, and roasted brussels sprouts

I did eat some cashews in the afternoon. I don't think I ate enough at lunch.

So far, so good.

Day 3:

Meal 1 - 3 eggs, black coffee

Meal 2 - leftover pepper from last night

Meal 3 - chicken thighs wrapped in bacon from Practcal Paleo, broccoli

What a day! I was in total carb withdrawal. I felt like sleeping all day. Thank goodness I'm on vacation this week--at home.

Day 3:

Meal 1 - 3 eggs, black coffee

Meal 2 - leftover pepper from last night

Meal 3 - chicken thighs wrapped in bacon from Practcal Paleo, broccoli

What a day! I was in total carb withdrawal. I felt like sleeping all day. Thank goodness I'm on vacation this week--at home.

Susan, I am not seeing enough veggies or fat. It's all SO important. :)

Day 4:

Meal 1 - 3 eggs, banana

Meal 2 - chicken thigh with bacon, broccoli, 1/2 avocado

Meal 3 - steak, mashed faux-tatoes (cauliflower), tomatoes

Yeah, I need more veggies, but I've been cooking with lots of good fat. The tiredness is getting better and I really need to start working out more regularly.

Days 5 and 6 were good. Today is Day 7 and I have to say, I am so proud of myself for sticking to this 100%. I went to my nephew's 1st birthday party yesterday. Lots of finger sandwiches, cake and ice cream. I ate celery, carrots and drank water. :D Still had fun. And it was all about Carson anyway!!

Finished my first week yesterday. Even my husband made a comment about how proud he was that I'd stuck to it. (And he is my worst saboteur--offering me chocolate, glasses of wine, etc.) Back to work this week after a week's vacation. I think I am actually getting more veggies in because I always bring a BIG salad for lunch. I have always hated bottled salad dressings so I make my own with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Today I chopped up some sun-dried tomatoes in it too. Yum! Yum! :P

Archived