Getting Tested for Deficiencies

I wasn't sure where exactly to ask this and I did a search and didn't find anything related - so I apologize if I did miss something in the search if it's been asked before.

I was listening to the video clip from the Paleo Summit by M & D and they talked about getting tested for b12 and iron deficiencies....mostly related to vegetarians.

However, I have recently been wanting to have some screening done on different vitamins/minerals at my next physical and was curious what else would be worth asking my dr. to look for. What else do you recommend looking for?

I am not sure how these tests work - just a blood test? I don't really have any suspicions that I am deficient in one thing or another - I am just curious and want to be as in tune and familiar with my body as possible.

Thanks! :)

you could spend a FORTUNE on getting lab values tested. The problem is that most people don't know what to do with the results. If your Iron is low, what does that mean? does it mean you need to supplement with iron pills? Maybe. You could also have low serum iron levels, but your ferritin (a related value) is crazy high, so you actually have a different problem, and supplementing with iron would be a TERRIBLE idea.

You need a doc or naturopath to work with you on this. Figure out your symptoms, get tested for the appropriate things that play into those symptoms, and then treat what comes out. There are a LOT of moving pieces.

Archived