Wording counts

Hi Whole30 staff,

I've signed up for the Whole30 email series, which I enjoy. However, at the bottom where you click based on how your day went the choices are: "I made it! I ate clean all day." and "I made some bad choices today." I've had to click that button twice, and it's quite disheartening--specifically, because I didn't go down a cupcake or eat my way through a party size bag of chips. In the first case I added a handful of dried cranberries to a 1/4 cup of nuts, ate it, and then discovered that the "just cranberries" were actually sweetened. A mistake versus a "bad choice." Today I had to eat out because of work. The menu was full of everything not Whole30 compatible, so I chose "steak tips" and an undressed salad -- and made sure the steak wasn't grilled with butter. I thought it was a safe bet, but it tasted a bit sweet, so I asked the waiter about it. He told me there was a marinade (not cited on the menu) that contains brown sugar. Again, I didn't intentionally make a poor choice, I made a mistake because simply didn't think to ask about a marinade because it wasn't listed on the menu. 

Coincidentally, today's email was about not "cheating yourself" by making tiny exceptions to the program. Once I learned about the steak, I had no hesitation about starting over, until I realized I had to click that link again. Because of that wording being so negative to me (since I didn't actively make a poor choice) I actually considered just moving ahead. But, I'm not going to use it as an excuse, so it's back to day one tomorrow.

I don't mind starting from day one again; I'm enjoying the program. But, frankly, I hate clicking that "bad choices" button. Perhaps you can reword it so it applies more broadly. For example, "Today didn't work out as planned."

Thanks for considering this.  

• Moderators

Hi, @ginger917. I had not really thought about this before, but you have a good point. Unfortunately, no one here on the forum can make this change. I'd suggest emailing [email protected] (I think that's right, it should be listed somewhere on those emails) and tell them. 

Best of luck to you for the rest of your whole30!

Archived