Day 17 - Saw the scale

I am on my second Whole 30 and am struggling.  The first time I did the program I pretty much followed the timeline to a T.  I was cranky when it said I would be cranky, tired when it said I would be tired and felt the tiger blood around day 13.  This time around, I have had headaches, been absolutely exhausted, and still feel quite bloated.  On top of it, I went through a biometric screening offered by my work yesterday, and saw that I have gained weight since I started the Whole30.  What am I doing wrong?!

A sample of my meals include:

Breakfast - hashbrown sausage casserole (sugar free sausage, shredded potatoes, spinach and eggs), tomatoes with guacamole

Lunch - spinach turkey meatballs (ground turkey, spinach, egg, almond flour, salt and pepper), eggplant, olives and Pomi tomatoes; 2 clementines

Dinner - chili from the Whole30 book w/guacamole and grape tomatoes

Approximately 64 oz water

Is it possible I'm having too much fat?  Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

• Moderators

I don't think you're having too much fat. Your meals look pretty good, so as long as they're keeping you satisfied 4-5 hours, I'd just keep going. You might want to keep track and see if any particular veggies make you feel more bloated. Raw vegetables can do that, cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, or cabbage can, and then some people find that FODMAPS or nightshades can. The only way to figure out a likely cause would be to keep track of what you eat and how you feel and see if there's a pattern to it. It's also possible it's not food related at all but is hormonal, related to where you are in your cycle (assuming you're female). 

For water, we recommend at least a half ounce per pound of body weight, so a 120 lb person needs at least 60 oz. If 64 oz is good for your weight, great, if not, adjust accordingly.

Keep in mind that weight fluctuates day to day, and even throughout the day. It could be if they checked it the day before or the day after, or even a couple of hours before or after, it might have been different. Try not to stress about it, and just wait to see what the next couple of weeks brings.

Thank you Shannon!  I have been keeping full (and very happy about that) as well as keeping a food log so I will look at my veggies and see if I notice any patterns.  I'm planning on seeing it through so hopefully things trend up.  Appreciate the guidance and support!

• 3 weeks later...

Me too.

I Did my first Whole30 in May 2017 and lost 20 pounds. YAY!

This is my 2nd Whole30 and I've only lost 7 pounds on Day 28 (Nov.20,2017).

Ugh. Waaaaay too much work for only 7 pounds...

There are several other benefits I'm experiencing from the Whole30:

1.) My house is spotless, laundry is getting done, and I'm making good progress on all those annoying little house projects

2.) I feel really present, focused and patient everyday 

3.) I have a personal feeling of accomplishment 

It's just.......I want to feel all these things AND be skinny!

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, MarnieFabulous said:

It's just.......I want to feel all these things AND be skinny!

I don't know how much weight you need to lose, but seven pounds in a month is more than a pound a week. That is an amazing rate of loss. If you just keep at it, staying close enough to whole30 eating that you continue to feel good and have energy and focus, you could lose 50 pounds in a year, if you have 50 pounds to lose. 

As for the amount of work, you'll find ways to deal with that. Precooking food for the week, or putting together freezer meals you can just pop in the crockpot in the morning and have food hot and ready to eat by dinner time, could help if you're not already doing that.

Archived