Sarah's 2013 Whole100 Journal... who's with me??

SarahEmily

W​hole100

So, I admit to going a bit of track with my whole30 over xmas/boxing day, but before that I was really enjoying the benefits of the whole9 way of eating. In just 17 days I had noticed many changes and was feeling alot better than I have in almost 5 years.

What I learnt from my 1st experience on the whole30 is that will help me this time around:

>I don't need to have sugar or eat more after a decent meal, the cravings will pass.

>I need to be firm in saying NO to alcohol and other things I am offered because I had a couple of pieces of gum in the 1st week or so of my 1st attempt.

>I need to really check all food labels as I just found out my cumin, coriander and curry powder all contained wheat (since I also have Celiac disease this is NOT good!!)

>I need to make sure I am eating enough fat/carbs because in the 1st few days of my 1st attempt I didn't have enough to eat a couple of times and got really hungry later on before bed.

>Not having nuts and fruit in the house is a good idea.

>Trying out new interesting recipes is fun!

>Including starchy veges in my lunch and dinner is a GOOD idea, keeps me fuller for longer and stops cravings.

As I feel like I really want to have a couple of drinks on New Years, I am going to begin my whole100 on January the 1st but I will also record the next 4 days in this diary if I get a chance as I am aiming to only eat whole30 approved foods again starting today.

New Years Resolution 2013

1. Complete a Whole100 from January 1st to April 10th 2013.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

29/12/2012

Day 0

I have decided to begin my whole100 a few days earlier than I was going to, just because I am already eating whole foods now so I thought I may as-well. PS I will go from the 1st of Jan without alcohol (as I will have a couple on New Years) and will go alcohol free for 30 days and then probably add back in if the occasion demands. Other than this I will aim to be entirely whole30 compliment for the duration of 100 days.

So day 0 went well, ate whole for the entire day. Had a pretty lazy day, actually a very lazy day, I did not leave the house once :o I did get some study done however!

30/12/2012

Day 1

Today I had a 7am start at work. I didn't find it too difficult getting up, but I wasn't very well planned and didn't prepare anything for my lunch. I did grab a mandarin and some strawberries for my break, but I went from about 6.15am to after 4pm between meals. I didn't feel too bad as I think my body must be pretty fat adapted, but I wouldn't like to do this to often! I also cut my finger in the stick blender today while making mayo and cried like a kid for about 10 minutes afterwards... hey it really hurt!! Don't even ask how I managed that :P Had eggs for breakie, meatloaf for lunch and a chicken drumstick w/skin on for dinner + tons of veges and some mayo!!

I am going to a festival tomorrow for New Years and I will be drinking, but I am going to make sure I pack my lunch and dinner in the morning before I go. I generally have to do this anyway to make sure what I am eating is gluten free so it's no big deal. I am pretty excited to be catching up with a friend I haven't seen in ages too!!

31/12/2012

Day 2

Yesterday morning I had a big breakfast before leaving for my festival, but then we actually didn't get the chance to grab anymore food all day and we were so excited when we got there we compleatly forgot about dinner and had a few drinks. This ended in some very tispy ladies. Somehow in this time I also managed to lose my car key, phone, ID and Debit carb!!!! At about 9pm we went back to the car (which we had to break into) and this is when I finally remembered to have the dinner I had packed for myself and this sobered me up a bit and made me feel better.

Welcoming the New Year in was so awesome we were nearly at the front of the mosh pit and danced like crazy!! I had soo much fun!!

No alcohol for me will be starting on the 1st and continuing until the 30th of jan!

1st/1st/2013

Day 3

Today has been another not so good day food wise as I only had strawberries at about 9am this morning and then nothing all day until I got home at 4pm when I managed to have a big plate full of filling whole30 approved foods. Other than this the 1st day of 2013 has not been to eventful. I did have to wait all day for my spare car key to arrive so I could drive home though after losing my other one last night! Hope every one else welcomed the year in style!! :)

2nd/1st/2013

Day 4

Last night I watched the movie "The Green Mile"- really good movie btw guys, but also very long. So despite being pretty tired I didn't get to bed until after mid-night!! Too late for me after my big NYE celebrations. Anyway I have no clue exactly what I was doing all night on NYE, but today I was sure as feeling it. My entire body has been very sore all day. Muscles in my neck, legs, back, stomach.... really guys this is probably telling me I need to go back to the gym or something :P I actually want to, but the cost is the main reason why I haven't joined the gym again.

I sure hope I am feeling better tomorrow! Aside from the pain today has been another lazy day because I am still on holiday till the weekend, then I have work and back to uni next week. Ate really well so far today and that's about it! xo

3rd/1st/2013

Day 5

It's kinda funny I feel like my first shot at the whole30 (pre-xmas) must have really helped me for this one. I really haven't noticed the foods i'm not having and have been really enjoying the healthy, yummy foods I am having. I thought before I began my 1st whole30 that there was no way I would even make it a week, but I did almost 3 easy, well easier than any other diet i've tried! It seems that eliminating all the choices of foods, the cal counting, the stress about should I eat this or not makes things much better. I think my weakness is defs. the alcohol, but I am only asking myself for 30 days. (the other 70 I am going to allow alcohol on occasions).

Also well doing my whole30 I am trying to focus more on other things in my life away from my diet. Today I went out and played tennis with my BF and actually really enjoyed it. I hope we are able to do this more. I have also watched a couple of movies this week, I know TV shouldn't be a big part of my life, but I think watching some movies can be really educational and also entertaining.

Had an awesome day over all. Hope all is well with everyone else. xo

Hey girl! Yay for your Whole100! That is an awesome idea and I will be here cheering you along the whole way...hopefully on the same wagon instead of laying under it being run over again and again and again--ha ha! My W30 tanked hard on Christmas Day and after that it was one hard Day#1 right after another...and right when I got to Day#4 (NYE) I spent the day at Magic Mountain (an amusement park) with my kiddos and due to poor planning I ate off plan (but didn't binge!) So here I am at Day #3 trying to just get over the disappointment of starting from scratch again. Plus I broke up with my boyfriend a few days ago so I know that sort of has me in a funk too. As soon as I am feeling in better spirits I will get back to my log. I plan on kicking ass from here on out--and you better do the same!

Hey your back!! DW I think it must be pretty hard to make it through xmas, I know I had a big fail too!! Haha oh deary you will have to start another dating blog (btw your previous one was a good read :P) Let me know when you start a new log as there are soo many here at the moment it's hard to find all the people who I was previously reading!!

4th/1st/2013

Day 6

Today has been a good day. Weather was a beauty so that made it even better. I started practicing my tennis serving and grips today as I want to get better and I also asked around as I'm hoping to get into Netball this winter because I want to be exercising more, I want to be more social and I can't afford the gym as its almost 20 a week for the flash gyms with classes!!!

I also got a new cellphone today, a Samsung Galaxy S2, so not the latest, but getting there. I really like it so far and it feels much more up-to-date than my old brick!! Did the grocery shopping as-well today and decided on meatloaf and chicken & zuchini fritters as this weeks meals (only need to do 2 as I freeze leftovers and we eat that for the week). Also still have left over some of a mince dish I cooked the other day as-well.

Had a bigger breakfast again this morning (4 eggs) because last night the sugar dragon was out in full force (after I posted), I was just craving like mad and ended up eating 3 packets of raisins. They were only the tiny 14grm packs, but that still more than usual for me as I am staying away from fruit in the whole30. Anyway I seem to be feeling much better this evening and am not having any crazy cravings, so I will stick with the bigger brekkies!! Work tomorrow morning so will be getting up eaaaaaaarly 5.45am! Not really looking forward to that, but hopefully my BF will come practice some tennis with me tomorrow after work, and I am looking forward to that! :)

Hope all is well with everyone else! xo

5th/1st/2013

Day 7

Day 7 went well. I had the best breakie ever!! I called it egg-chos... kinda looks like nachos, but made with scrambled eggs & onion on the bottom, crushed tomatoes in the middle and topped with mashed avocado and lime. Was suuper good and kept me full from 6am till 2pm after work.

Went for a nice walk this arvo and enjoyed myself in the sun, also practiced somr tennis with my BF this evening. I am not too bad, except for my serving which can def. improve. I have also decided that I am going to go back to the gym. I'm not super keen on doing too much cardio as it makes me eat super alot! But I am feeling like going becasue a couple of my mates go and I would like to get into the classes especially the weights class and the yoga class.

Anywayyyyyys am feeling pretty tired and have another early morning tomorrow so better hit the sack soon! xx

6th/1st/2013

Day 8

Soo Im still plodding along here. Today I struggled a bit getting up early because I stayed up too late playing a game on my new fone. Lame INO!! But im so addicted to it at the moment. Work went well and I felt good. I brought some cheep new exercise clothes to get me motivated for when I join the gym again. Im not expecting to go everyday or anything, but im really looking forward to the social aspect and hopefully gaining some fitness through-out the year.

OMGG had my egg-chos for breakkie and lunch today. Soo good and filling! Chicken drumstick with heaps of veges and mayo for dinner.

Also sorted out how long its going to take me to complete my degree, I have another solid 2 years. Yay for me :( NOT! But atleast i got it sorted. NOT looking forward to 2014 though because i will be doing 4 accounting papers all extramural!! Had a breakdown doing some accounting study this arvo too waaaaaa! No it wasn't that bad, but really who finds that stuff stimulating??? Really though I am pleased I have made a decision and I know perseverance is the key to getting this degree out of the way.

Also Night sweats.... had these the past 3 nights so I dont know whats causing that, but i might do a post in another forum get some suggestions. I think one was hypoglycemia, but im not to sure so ill see what happens tonight.

back to uni tomooorow waaaa! x have a good night all

7th/1st/2012

Day 9

So I'm settling into my 2nd week now. I am feeling pretty good. Blood sugars were a little higher today which wasen't good, but thats not to do with the whole30 thats to do with medication/injection site errors. I changed my site anyway so hopefully that will be corrected. I couldn't be bothered to pack my lunch for uni today and ended up going from 7.30am to 3pm without a meal and was soo hungry when I got home. I had a chicken and zuchini fritter with loads of veges and mayo and although my stomach felt physically full I felt like I wanted to eat more. I waited an hour or so though and went and played tennis and when I came back from tennis I was still feeling pretty satisified. Dinner was a bit later tonight, cooked meatloaf in muffin tins and froze all the leftovers. Other than that just did a bit of study this evening and been on FB fo r a wee while. Over all pretty good day and beaut weather again!

xx Have a good one all

first off...... im going to do whole 100 too. so im with you all the way!! for me this whole thing is a complete long term shift that I am wanting to do, 30 days seems too much like a fad for me, I have done other things for 30 days and I just go right back to where I started.

LOVE your Egg-Chos! Im going to do that tomorrow I think! YUM!

And all the power to you for doing this while at uni! there is NO way I would have been able to do it then! No cash, too many parties, stress and so on!

Hey Sarah, sorry I have missed your posts, just found you again and have now 'followed' you ... its the only way to keep up with friends post now. I am impressed with how well you have done/are doing, great to see. I recall having a patch of night sweats too and very poor sleep for awhile. Speaking of which I must go to bed as I need to be up in 7 hours! Catch you soon!

Dancerman- yay thats awesome that you are also doing whole100. I completely agree with you, I love eating this way and I don't want to do it for just 30 days!! I don't know if I will do it for life, but right now it def feels like the best thing for me. The egg-chos are really filling, great for breakfast!! Hope you enjoy them too. And yes defs tough at uni, thats why I am not eliminating alcohol for 100 days eee thats kinda bad, but will do 30 days and I have already learnt a few lessons about moderation with alcohol.

JUZBO- Aww yes I can't find anyone from early dec now!! Have you still got a journal?? Plz link me so I can follow you!

8th/1st/2012

Day 10

Today I played tennis again and I am actually improving. Really proud of myself. My serving is even getting better! Tomorrow I am going to the gym with a friend. I don't know if I already mentioned but I have decided to trial the gym for a month and see how it goes because I just don't know if it's my thing anymore. Don't get me wrong I love exercise though, just not chronic cardio anymore! I'm really hoping the gym works out. Can't wait to try out the dance (jam) classes again too!!!

Oh and last night I got up at 1am and ate some dairy (some cream and butter) :/ Now I know this is totally not approved (because dairy fucks with your hormones I KNOW) but it's not something I purposely chose to do to sabotage my whole100. I have mentioned before I have always had this habit of getting up during the night and eating, sometimes without even being very aware. Since beginning to eat whole and taking advice given to me on these forums about eating more through-out the day this problem has mostly gone (from getting up 3-4 nights a week to getting up about 5 times in a whole month), but sometimes it still happens!! I don't want to feel guilty or start things again because of it cause I don't think that's going to help me in any way. I am aware of what I have done and I am going to try really hard to prevent this happening again (in the next 90 days) by making sure my blood sugars are under control and that I eat enough during the day!

Hope all is well with everyone else!

xx

Haha thanks Juzbo! DW I found your journal! :)

10th/1st/2013

Day 12

Ok so didn't get a chance to post yesterday but had a pretty good day. Went to the driving range with my bf and tried to hit a few golf balls, I did improve a little! :P

So far today I have had one biiiiiig sleep in (got up at 12 ekkkkk) and have done a couple hours of study! Thats all!!!!

Last night I had a few drinks with a mate, and everyone is going to say that is so not whole 30 and I know it's not, but I have said before that if the occasion demands then I am going to have a few drinks because I feel like the cost of having a good social life is worth having a few drinks. I know alcohol is a poison so I am very careful about how much I consume and I don't have any beers containing gluten. I drunk pear cider last night. I had a really good night and did a lot of dancing! :) One thing I am really happy with is that since beginning to eat whole and reducing my alcohol I have not had a drunken pig out. This used to always happen when I got home, but now I have not felt doing this :)

Tomorrow will be my first day back at the gym and I am going in with a friend to talk to one of the instructors about what classes I should be taking etc. I am hoping to do some Jam (dance), Pump (weights) and Balance (tai chi). Maybe 2 pump classes and one of each of the others a week will be a good amount, but I will see what the experts have to say!

I really need to do some grocery shopping as we have a pretty bland cupboard at the moment!! So I am just about to look up some whole30 compliment meals for this week and then head off.

Hope all is going well for everyone else xx

Thanks Melody!

11th/01/2013

Day 13

Good day today. Got a-lot of study in, finally done the groceries, played some tennis and then went to work. Have to get up at 6am for work tomorrow... how i hate working and studying!!! Didn't actually make it to the gym, because i had to work. I called up the gym lady and arranged to met next tuesday though so thats all good! Hope everyone is still going strong! xx

Love reading your blog! dairy, booze! hey you are exercising moderation at least and they are not mega binges! :) I couldnt have gone alco free when i was at uni, that said, i have now been booze, coffee and tea free for 2 years, pretty much after i finished uni. I do miss it, and still my friends are like do u want a drink.... dude, thanks but no :) i think if i even had one beer i would regret it the next morning! such a lightweight.

Enjoy being back at the gym.... hopefully by the end of the weekend i will have the energy to get back into my training. What kind of thing will you be doing?

Love reading your blog! dairy, booze! hey you are exercising moderation at least and they are not mega binges! :) I couldnt have gone alco free when i was at uni, that said, i have now been booze, coffee and tea free for 2 years, pretty much after i finished uni. I do miss it, and still my friends are like do u want a drink.... dude, thanks but no :) i think if i even had one beer i would regret it the next morning! such a lightweight.

Enjoy being back at the gym.... hopefully by the end of the weekend i will have the energy to get back into my training. What kind of thing will you be doing?

Dancerman- Haha its bad isn't it!! yeah the alcohol is kinda essential for the uni social life.... :P when I get back to the gym I will be doing weights and dancing classes!! also might try out some yoga as I could prob do with some more flexibity haha my muscles need strectchingg!! I'll see how it goes, what do you normally do for a workout?

thanx juzbo!

12th/1st/2013

Day 14

Worked all day today. Ate really well according to whole30, now im off out for the night. should be fun im looking forward to it. xx

Archived