Whole 30 Prep VERY Revealing!

CaveMom

My Whole30 starts today.  (I was going to start 1/1, but I don't have any non-compliant foods left in my house.). I've been to the store and loaded up on compliant foods, planned a weekly menu and cleaned out my Pantry and fridge.

I could not believe how much food I had that was not compliant!  It was crazy!  I started with canned vegetables with added sugar and condiments, and bagged them up for the local food pantry.  Next, I moved on to flours, boxed potatoes and convenience meals.  On and on it went, bag after bag.

The last item to bag up were cookies, candies, chips and junk.  Here's the revealing part.  I physically struggled to throw it away.  (Of course I couldn't donate it because all those packages were open). After a while my husband and kids noticed me standing there staring at the contents of the "snack food drawer".  

I had no idea what an emotional connection I had to comfort food.  I literally faced down my greatest weakness and realized how addicted I must be to those foods.  Why else would it have hurt so much?

With much reluctance, I threw it out!  (Yea me!).

I feel a little nervous and a lot excited.  I realize how much preparation it requires to eat like this.  So, I've been cooking, cooking, cooking!  I want to make sure I have plenty of prepared foods to grab. My house smells sooooo good!

I really think I can do this!  I know there will be tough days, but I feel like my body is screaming at me to feed it real, wholesome food.  I can't wait to see if I notice changes!

6E1F7464-C569-47DB-B05D-D190E445B19E.jpeg

That's a big step, especially with other family in the house. It's amazing what you notice once you start reading labels carefully.  I know that food manufacturers respond to market demands, but jeez it seems crazy that canned veggies and other things need sugar. :(

Isn't it shocking to really start reading ingredients?  I did my first round of Whole30 in September 2015 and I remember feeling a little overwhelmed.  I was so motivated to do the Whole30 though and I felt so amazing after the 30 days.  It was really interesting though to figure out through reintroduction what my real issues were. Good luck! You got this!  

Thanks for posting!  I too was shocked at the amount of non compliant food I had....and still have because I didn't finish the job yet.  I have a giant box so far and don't want to just throw all of the open containers in the trash.  It's probably best that I do though.  Especially all of the sugary items.  Today is day 7 for my husband and I.  It would feel better if I could open the cabinets and only have compliant foods.

Archived