Project phoenix

kittycat

D17: breakfast of scrambled eggs with bell pepper and a little fruit

lunch of tuna with lots of tomato carrot stew with olives

pre-wo apple and orange and an egg

dinner (no pwo as I went straight to the restaurant) sardines as a starter and then tuna carpaccio with avocado and salad

D18: first thought I was still tired when I got up, but after 5 minutes I was full of energy. I need to buy eggs again already, can't believe how many eggs fit into 30 days!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D18:

B: red cabbage and scrambled eggs

Pre-WO: kaki, cranberries, and nuts

Late L: veggie stew with tilapia filet, kaki and nuts

D: veggie stew, avocado

At the fancy cocktail place with friends: coconut water (wo, they had it, how cool is that? And felt much nicer than always being the only one sipping water)

D19:

B: scrambled eggs, avocado, carrot

During-WO (we did a back-country skitour, so you need something in between): carrots and dates

L: fish with veggie stew

pwo (at the gym, not because I needed another workout, but because I had already set the date with a friend): kaki

D: grilled veggie salad and calamari

NIghtclub: water - stayed out until 4 a.m. and had such a lot of fun!

I'm still craving chocolate too!

I have been a vegetarian for 12 years and for this Whole30 I'm eating fish. I have always had no trouble eating high protein means on a veg diet (used a lot of soy products and eggs) but using fish I'm finding much harder. I still can't bring myself to eat any other kind of meat. I don't know what's so different in my head about chicken, beef etc.

How did you transition and are you noticing benefits?

Hi Kaleena,

I didn't have eggs the last years, but I also used a lot of soy. In November I had a first try of whole30 and then decided I wanted to really see how the food I was now not eating anymore would actually affect my body and the most interesting things happened. On my soy tryout day I felt incredibly bloated and lethargic, same on a day when I had whole meal bread.

However, that wasn't what you were asking for - that was just what finally convinced me that incorporating fish (and probably even meat) would simply do me better so I could leave out the stuff that didn't do me good.

I restarted to eat fish and a bit of seafood at the beginning. That was no big deal for me as I had never actually disliked the taste of fish but had stopped eating it because I thought I didn't want to kill animals only to eat them if there was another, equally healthy way of eating. For chicken and beef, I was also cautious and insecure whether I really wanted this. I don't have very much of it now, but eating for example a big veggie stew with a bit of chopped meat in there, well done, I actually do like it. And believe me, this was a big surprise for me as I turned veggie when I was 11 and one of the reasons was that I didn't like most meat (and after that there were some years where I actually found it disgusting, but later on, it was again only ethical reasons). If I was you, I'd probably cook up a nice thai veggie curry with coconut milk and chop up one grilled chicken breast for that. Then it is not like starting to eat "big chunks of animal" all at once.

To be honest, ethically speaking, I would still prefer not to kill animals for my food, but I've noticed such a lot of change in my body and my energy levels that I decide if I buy good organic produce from farms who treat their animals as adequate as somehow possible, then I can live with it.

What I have realized during whole30 so far is that my digestion is way better than it used to be (often had diarrhea before and felt bloated), my skin has cleared up (which I guess is rather due to me staying away from grains and soy), and that the additional protein does me good - I feel strong and energetic, no midday slumps, sound sleep. And people around me tell me I look great (without knowing that I have significantly changed my diet and might be expecting a reaction or something like that).

I'm not one of the kind who had serious health issues before whole30, but these are the benefits I noticed so far. I read on your page that you also have the wish that your skin clears up - have you noticed changes already? Your status says "trying shrimps tonight" - these are actually the seafood I like best and it cost me during my veggie years to stay away from them ;)

Now I'm having them every once in a while (I'm far from any ocean right now, so they are expensive). Did you like them?

Have you been veg for ethical reasons or because you didn't like it?

What works for me is: try a tiny piece, listen to how your body reacts and act according to that. If it feels weird, I leave it, if it feels good, I have a handful. All the best for you and keep me posted on your progress! Maybe you could post your log link here because I was just to stupid to find it :)

Wow, this post became longer than I thought it would ;)

D20: We're two thirds through the 30!! :)

B: a kaki, and broccoli with 3 eggs. Normally I have two eggs and am full, but I was really hungry and it was a late breakfast.

L: didn't happen because breakfast was so late.

D: mussels and a big salad with artichokes.

D22: swinging along

B: Scrambled eggs, avocado, and a carrot

L: Broccoli and chicken salad

Pre-WO: Fennel

D: Fry of zucchini, eggs and sweet potato, with pesto - sooo full, maybe I ate too fast because I was starving after my run.

Today is D23 - 8 days to go!

The sun is coming out for the first time in days and I'm so looking forward to doing a short backcountry skitour after work :)

D23:

B: cashews, zucchini tomato egg scramble, apple, coffee

L: fish with brussel sprouts and coconut

Pre-wo: apple

D: cashews - no food with me and the mountain cabin (after the backcountry skitour) literally ran out of food, lucky I at least had nuts with me

D 24 going fine so far, one week to go! I'm not even thinking about changing much afterwards, the only thing I will be relieved from is to constantly worry about whether I can actually accept a dinner invitation from friends because of worrying that it might contain food that doesn't fit the plan.

D24

B: three hard-boiled eggs, carrot salad and an apple, coffee

L: mixed salad with turkey, coffee

Pre-wo: banana

D: swordfish with grilled veggies and salad

Snack during the late night shift: banana and cashews

Worked until 1:30 am hunched over my laptop, little computer science nerd that I am, but woke up quite energetic after only 5 hours of sleep - great!

Have sore muscles from training yesterday, but that's ok ;)

D25

B: fastest breakfast eggs ever, don't copy that - in the pan and out of the door within 7 minutes, I know, not the best choice to hurry but definitely better than going to the office hungry and thoughts twirling around food all the time.

Friday office breakfast with colleagues: fruit

L: mixed salad with chopped veal, coffee

Pre-wo: kaki

D (straight after the run, so no post-wo snack): wild salmon with spinach and sweet potato, cashews

Going to bed early now, need rest after the past, rather short night, and I'm looking forward to visiting my grandmothers tomorrow.

Lucky that I will be meeting the baking-loving granny in town so I don't have to talk myself out of her delicious cakes ;)

D26:

B: scrambled eggs, a kaki on the train

L: veggie soup, salad with prawns

Snack: coffee, nuts and dried berries on the train back

D: seafood salad plate

D27:

B: scrambled eggs with mushrooms

L: sausages with kraut

Pre-wo: kaki, bit of coconut

D: eggs with spinach and black olives, sweet potato

Need to go to bed early, more deadlines at work tomorrow and I had three short nights in a row.

Never mind, with the tiger blood, it will all work and I will recuperate more quickly. I spent two wonderful days with my grandmas and my friends and that was worth it!

Good night :)

D29:

I have a friend staying over for a couple of days, so we are hitting town every night and working a lot, but it is fun and he's ok with me not drinking as long as he may enjoy his beloved Bavarian beer, which makes things easy :)

B: egg omelet with avocado, spinach, and carrot

L: big mixed salad with tuna

D: carrot soup, and then I had venison for the first time in my life, as goulash in a pepper-and-cherry sauce with red cabbage on the side - it was delicious!!

I feel very full now, but they made us wait for the food an awful long time (after having lunch rather early today) and probably the reason is simply that it was very late.

Last day ahead of us - and then we're actually done with the whole30. Can't believe it. Ok then, I can do this, it feels good, I will keep a lot of good habits :)

D 30:

B: Avocado, eggs, carrot and kaki

L: Salad with chicken and fruit

D: Bell pepper, carrot, grapes, and Spanish embutidos

Wrap-up: This was a good experience, though challenging every once in a while. I will get back to it when I feel I get off track.

Well done, everybody - and keep up the spirit :)

• 1 month later...

Okay, here we are again. Let's see: 7 weeks later, moved to another continent, now living in Irvine, California.

Food here is great in terms of variety (e.g. veggies), but also kind of horror in terms of too many convenient fast food places which produce way too much trash. I'm not saying that in Germany this was better - I just have the feeling that in this country, the extremes are further on both ends of the scale. Recap of what is going well and what is not:

+ I have stuck to most of my meals being strongly paleo-oriented.

+ I manage to stay away from grains most of the time.

+ I manage to stay away from dairy most of the time.

+ I manage to stay away from soy most of the time.

+ I still exercise a lot, as I have always.

+ I am very aware now which foods affect me, even small amounts of grains or legumes bloating me, cheese causing stomach pain, and sugar making me hectic.

+ I make proper W30 breakfast every day with veggies and eggs.

+ I prepare my lunches during the week in advance and they usually comply.

- I have not stuck properly to my post-W30 days, big mistake... stupid, I should say. I know, I know, no need to comment further on that.

- I have not slain the sugar dragon, I got back to too many sweets rather fast. My wonderful post-W30 flat belly is wobbly again, as is the rest of my body, and my face skin and scalp have gone worse again :(

- I have gone back to more or less frequent social drinking when going out with more than one occasional glass of wine.

- When I have foods that are not good for me, I often have them in the evening, so they affect my sleep and still affect me a lot the next day, and the increased cravings keep me eating more than I need.

- Although I do usually prepare my lunches during the week, I often pack too little and then end up snacking things I shouldn't.

- I have a hard time again when being invited for lunch/dinner that was cooked by friends or family to not eat it if it is not compliant. Especially in a new context I'd rather be easy-to-have than obsessively picky. Stupid again, I know, I'm just trying to be honest with myself here.

In summary, sounds like I should do another W30 before this turns into unhealthy habit at my wonderful new place.

Book ordered, starting tomorrow, kitchen is clean (has been ever since, because everything I shouldn't have, I usually don't even take home, apart from some sweets, and they are gone).

We have a great farmer's market here on Saturdays and in 31 days, I will be flying back home to Germany for a week, so that is a nice deadline to look forward to. My family is already used to my eating habits from the first Whole30, so they will support my post-W30 days, which I will definitely follow as prescribed this time. I don't even have a scale here and won't buy one. It feels like I've returned to pre-firstW30 and that is unpleasant enough ;)

I want to be back to tiger blood!

Goals: "just" a plain Whole30 to get me back on track. Careful with too many sweet fruits and nuts.

When tiger blood kicks in, I might extend to W100, to make sure I slay the dragon this time.

Day 1:

Pre-WO snack: 5 strawberries, then biking and running for a little less than an hour.

Good breakfast: chicken breast with tomato sauce, kale, carrot, almond butter and a few more strawberries as they threatened to go bad (I love it that nut butters are such a common thing here - in Germany they weren't. Yes, I know, not a thing you'd want to get addicted to too much.)

Lunch: a big apple, a pile of kale and mixed herbal salad with lemon juice dressing and grilled chicken breast with a handfull of almonds (as I couldn't add other healthy fat in the not-sealing-well lunch box - I will find a jar for that next time). Really full. Should have eaten more slowly. This goal I need to put on the list.

Dinner: first challenge coming up - on Tuesdays we go rock climbing and to Taco Tuesday afterwards. There seems to be a good choice on the menu which is organic salad with vinaigrette dressing on the side and added tilapia filet. In case it turns out not to be a good choice, one of my friends gets a free salad and I use my emergency snack pack ;)

How I feel? Still full from lunch, satisfied, even no desire for coffee, all good so far.

Thirsty again? Well, more water then. :rolleyes:

Day 2:

Ok, ok, of course there was a drawback with that Taco Mesa salad - had to skip the cranberries in there because dried cranberries usually have added sugar. But the rest was good, just a plain lettuce and herbs mix with tilapia filet, and vinaigrette with balsamique vinegar and olive oil.

Sleep: 6,5 h - I was rather tired when I got up this morning, barely made it to my yoga class, but I'm good now. I need to sleep a little more, also to let my body repair sores from climbing and other sports.

Mood: Pretty good and energetic, slightly tired but that might also be due to many hours in front of the screen in an office with no windows (this should be avoided by law...).

Pre-WO: tiny piece of sweet potato with almond butter, then 90 minutes of yoga (today I sweated a lot - was it that I put more effort into it due to the attractive guy behind me? Never mind ;) )

Breakfast: omelet of 2 eggs and rainbow kale (beautiful! we don't have that in Germany), a baked sweet potato with one spoon of almond butter, black coffee

(The sweet potato was too big for one breakfast, I felt that afterwards after initially being very hungry.)

Lunch: big mixed herbs salad with black olives and chicken breast

Herbal tea in the afternoon - I love spearmint!

Afternoon: BBQ night coming up with byo - looking forward to some salmon or seafood with bell pepper and mushrooms.

Day 0: What? That girl too stupid to count?

Well, after everybody had envied me for my organic wild alaska salmon with bell peppers yesterday evening at the BBQ, I had a wonderful morning run, was pretty hungry afterwards, prepared my omelet with kale, half a sweet potato with sunflower seed butter on the side. Enjoyed my omelet and first hearty bite into the smeared sweet potato - arrrgh! Sugar in there!!! Tasted it - check the label - there it was: evaporated can juice. Stupid. Angry with myself I had another spoon full - sure, that help ;)

Few minutes later I simply sighed and told myself, well, time to start over again, lucky that it was on day 2 instead of 22.

This time I will keep it 100% clean. Way to go. Never mind.

All good now and after I got stuck with reading the book way past my intended bedtime I will continue at some point this evening, as early as possible, to get a little more sleep.

Mood: a little consternated, but no worries, also and probably even more proud of myself that I announce (to myself and all of you) to go back to day 0 instead of quietly suppressing it.

Day 0 evening:

Cuban restaurant with my aunt. Great food - I had a dish called "ropa vieja" which translates to 'old clothes' and is a stew of shredded beef, onions, bell pepper, tomato, garlic, and cilantro. I will re-cook that at home!

Stayed compliant but I will not go out that much for dinner over the upcoming weeks, as it just always ends in grilling the waiters about every ingredient which I don't like too much when going out with friends.

Wanted to go to bed earlier and do more reading. Well, late already and no reading so far, grumpy about work stuff and 'my days' started today, so I guess I should just call it a day and get some sleep... sigh... Never mind, sleeping will help.

So, Day 1:

Early morning yoga, simply forgot about Pre-WO snack, but that was ok, not hungry.

Big breakfast afterwards with a plate of ground beef, onion, broccoli, and mushrooms in plenty of olive oil, with the last half sweet potato from the batch I had made three days ago and a few kumquats. Black coffee.

Lunch was rather late because I wasn't hungry, and then I had a meeting, then just a little bite of more of the same stuff I had for breakfast, just without sweet potato. I had cooked a big portion and taken the second half for lunch.

Most of that "lunch" I had as dinner after another yoga session, with some additional celery and a few more kumquats.

Tomorrow I will make sure I get a little more variety but for today, this was good - and, hey, a whole day without any nuts, just because I didn't have them around and I didn't even think of them either until now.

Sleep: After my ranting last night I snug up into my bed, didn't sleep to well, but got 7 hours or so.

Mood: really good, great yoga, plus meditation on my spirit animal - a good day, indeed.

Day 2:

Big salad for breakfast, with avocado and tomato, topped with two eggs sunny side up.

Off to yoga, then went to the farmer's market and had a picnic with a friend for lunch with sprouts, guacamole, grilled chicken, and an orange.

Lazy afternoon with reading (ISWF, understanding more and more about systemic inflammation) and then for dinner some kale with onion and ground beef, plus an orange, a few nuts, and tomato salad with cilantro and black olives.

Sleep: good, not really good yet, but better, and I got a good eight hours.

Mood: good throughout the day, now a slight headache.

Archived