Amount of Meals

So I'm 14 weeks post pregnancy and nursing my sweet babe still. She's been waking every 2-3 hours since starting the whole30 (I don't believe that the two are related) and I have been getting hungry earlier and earlier in the mornings, making it really hard to fall back asleep at a time when I really NEED sleep. I also am only eating 3 meals but I'm not feeling like I need more than 3 meals right now as I'm not working out until next week at the earliest. 

Breakfast - 1 egg and 1 large homemade sausage patty, potato, cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers, 1/2 avocado, coffee with nutpods

Lunch - taco meat on top of a sweet potato, bell peppers, avocado

Dinner - chicken, potatoes, brussel sprouts, homemade ranch

Breakfast - same as day 1

Lunch - chicken, squash & carrot soup, brussel sprouts, homemade ranch

Dinner - taco meat, roasted broccoli, potatoes, carrots, avocado

Thoughts? 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Are you exclusively nursing?  If so, I'd follow the suggestions for 4 meals per day.  I know it is a hard mindset to adopt to eat more... but if you are hungry I think your body may be telling you it agrees :) I was a bottomless pit even at 3-4m post partum!  I work in the NICU sometimes and the rule of thumb there is breastmilk has 20 kcal per oz - so if you are exclusively nursing babe is getting maybe 30 oz a day (do you pump?  that could tell you roughly what she gets) that is 600 calories per day your body is making of milk.  So if you are hungry, enjoy that 4th meal :)  Also, if there is a chance your supply has dipped a little (which may be why she is nursing more overnight) maybe try having more starchy carbs (your meals look on the low carb side of things) and make sure you are hydrating really well.  By 14 weeks your supply is just passed the "established" mark so it may be a little easier to dip than someone nursing 6,9, etc months out.  Have you read Melissa's guidelines for nursing moms?  

Maybe this link will work.  

10 hours ago, littleg said:

Are you exclusively nursing?  If so, I'd follow the suggestions for 4 meals per day.  I know it is a hard mindset to adopt to eat more... but if you are hungry I think your body may be telling you it agrees :) I was a bottomless pit even at 3-4m post partum!  I work in the NICU sometimes and the rule of thumb there is breastmilk has 20 kcal per oz - so if you are exclusively nursing babe is getting maybe 30 oz a day (do you pump?  that could tell you roughly what she gets) that is 600 calories per day your body is making of milk.  So if you are hungry, enjoy that 4th meal :)  Also, if there is a chance your supply has dipped a little (which may be why she is nursing more overnight) maybe try having more starchy carbs (your meals look on the low carb side of things) and make sure you are hydrating really well.  By 14 weeks your supply is just passed the "established" mark so it may be a little easier to dip than someone nursing 6,9, etc months out.  Have you read Melissa's guidelines for nursing moms?  

Maybe this link will work.  

I am exclusively nursing with one pumping session in the morning, I haven't seen a decrease in supply at all. Maybe an ounce in my pumping session but I am only pumping just incase we need it. I am eating A LOT of food, so much that my husband says "I can't believe you can eat all of that!" 

She's got a pretty nasty cold so she's been coughing and waking herself up, she's only actually nursing 2-3 times a night (which is normal for us) and the other times she just needs a pacifier back in her mouth. 
I've been trying to make sure I have potatoes or squash at every meal, are you saying I need MORE than that? 
And truthfully, I don't even know how I'd fit in a 4th meal. 

Wake at 630, pump and make breakfast for toddler and myself. Eat at 7am, drop toddler at preschool 830-9, nap time for baby, nurse baby, lunch between 11-12 (depending on the day), nap time for baby, nurse baby, pick up toddler from school 3-330, play with toddler, nap time for baby, make dinner, eat dinner between 5-6, bath time 630, bedtime for baby 7pm, bedtime for toddler 730-8, bedtime for me between 830-9. 
Days where I work out - workout at preworkout at 10, workout 1030, postworkout 1145, lunch 130... 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

My bad, I didn't read carefully - I thought the "squash" was zucchini and didn't catch the other potatoes.  That should do it :) 

I guess I'm confused though - you say you are hungry in the first post (and making it hard for you to sleep) but then saying you can't add in a fourth meal.  Even through newborn phase when my little guy was nursing every 90m overnight (shudder...) I didn't eat at night.  There were times when my stomach would growl but I didn't want food. I drank some water or seltzer just to put something in my stomach just so it wasn't empty.  If you are having trouble sleeping because of feelings of hunger I guess you have some options - try that 4th meal (especially days where lunch is closer to 11 and dinner closer to 6 - that is 7 hours...), keep some food by your bed easy to eat (maybe a little lunchbox size cooler with a hard boiled egg, some full fat coconut milk, something like that) to grab when you feel hungry at night or try just having some water overnight. 

Archived