Spices?

MPGT

Ugh, doing meal prep for my first Whole30.  Had organic spice on hand from Whole Foods, of course after I added the spice I noticed it said "produced in factory with milk eggs and soy". Did I screw up before I even started?

Also, anyone know about "organic spices" in Imagine Organic Chicken Broth?

• Moderators

"Produced in a factory with" is an allergy warning for people with severe allergies who have to avoid all traces of those items. As long as there's nothing non-compliant in the ingredient list, it's fine. (And if it's a single spice, like cinnamon or nutmeg, with no ingredient list, that means that spice is all that's in the container, so it's fine.)

Organic spices in an ingredient list is fine -- they should have to separate out any sugar, soy, dairy, carrageenan, or msg if they add that, but they don't have to list every spice they use, since that can be considered a trade secret.

I've contacted Imagine in the past relating to the SCD diet, which doesn't allow any extras to spices and it checked out. Good luck! I happen to have been looking for the Imagine Chicken Broth, I live in Israel, and I couldn't find it!! I know it used to be in some stores here, hopefully I'll find some soon.

Archived