Day 12 and Still Bloated

Before Whole30, I would experience bloating whenever I ate gluten. This would last 2-3 days and then go away. But since starting Whole30, I've been bloated every single day.. mainly after every meal, it seems! I'm wondering if there's something I'm eating that is wrong or if my gut is still repairing itself after all the on-again-off-again I've been doing with a gluten-free diet? I used to eat a lot of carbs and sugar and coffee, and I haven't had any since starting. 

I have been eating a lot of cauliflower rice (I miss rice!) but after what I found from doing a thread search, I didn't have any today and haven't seen a difference.. perhaps I should wait longer though. I've also started drinking more water because I have a tendency to not do so enough. I read a few mentions in threads about digestive enzymes and am wondering if it's really necessary. I take 2 probiotics daily and try to add kimchi here and there. I have regular bowel movements, though the stool can vary hard to soft. I've always found this happens when I eat a lot of meat.

Here is a link to a detailed Whole30 Log I keep. (I figure it would be easier to read in that format, but I can copy& paste a few days worth of meals too if that's best.) I don't eat cold foods besides fruit & kimchi, and I cook/reheat my meals with either coconut oil, ghee, evoo, or avocado oil but I don't specify this in the log. I'll have a handful of nuts or coconut flakes if I still feel hungry shortly after a meal but for the most part, my meals last me 4-5 hours. They are larger portions than I'm used to and am also wondering if it's possible to gain weight during Whole30?

• Moderators

Cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and kale are all cruciferous vegetables, all can cause gas and bloating for some people. You might want to find some different vegetables for a little while -- it's likely you'll be able to have some of these going forward, but might have just had more than your digestive system can handle right now. It is also possible you're just running a little behind the timeline and this will clear up on its own in a few days, but I know that bloated feeling can be miserable, so I'd probably leave out the most likely culprits for a while anyway and hope that it helps it clear up sooner. 

Here's more about digestive enzymes, if you want to try reading up on them. I haven't tried them, so I can't really speak to how effective they might or might not be for you, that's something you'll have to decide for yourself, or by talking to a doctor.

Archived