Lara / RX bars as meal replacement

klnyc

Heading to a work conference tomorrow and my food options are going to be extremely limited. It’s at a random venue in the middle of nowhere. There is catered breakfast and lunch but who knows what they will serve and what it is made of. I can’t exactly bring my own food in either.

Would it be okay to eat either Lara or RX bars for breakfast and lunch if there is no other food I can eat? I will be there from 7am to 7pm. If not, any ideas as I don’t just want to starve!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, klnyc said:

Heading to a work conference tomorrow and my food options are going to be extremely limited. It’s at a random venue in the middle of nowhere. There is catered breakfast and lunch but who knows what they will serve and what it is made of. I can’t exactly bring my own food in either.

Would it be okay to eat either Lara or RX bars for breakfast and lunch if there is no other food I can eat? I will be there from 7am to 7pm. If not, any ideas as I don’t just want to starve!

Sorry, if you can bring in Larabars or RX bars, why can't you bring in a packed lunch?  It's not entirely uncommon for people in this day and age to not be able to eat at these types of events, even if they're not on Whole30 so it's fairly common to see people bring their own food... are you going to be on a stage where people are going to see you eating something different?  If not, then I"d bring proper food.

To actually answer your question tho, if you ate bars all day as long as the ingredients were compliant, you'd still be on your Whole30 but you will probably feel really terrible the next day so bear that in mind when packing/prepping your food for the following day... eat to the top end of the template and probably throw a mini meal in between two major meals to catch back up.

When I'm in this type of situation I bring a pouch of tuna and a pouch of olives. If they have a salad option that doesn't have cheese/dressing added, I grab salad and add my tuna and olives. If they don't, I dump the olives into the pouch of tuna and eat that. It still isn't a full meal, but it keeps me far more satisfied than a larabar/rx bar. You could also try Epic bars (although not all of them are compliant). The added protein makes a big difference. 

Thanks, I brought the Larabar and some compliant beef jerky just in case and got lucky. For breakfast they had hard boiled eggs so I was able to eat those with some berries. For lunch, they had a salad as part of the meal so I was able to order a special one without cheese and dressing, so I ate that with the beef jerky. It was a seated lunch in a ballroom like space, with waiters, etc. so it would have been really awkward for me to break out my own food.

Appreciate the advice.

17 hours ago, klnyc said:

Thanks, I brought the Larabar and some compliant beef jerky just in case and got lucky. For breakfast they had hard boiled eggs so I was able to eat those with some berries. For lunch, they had a salad as part of the meal so I was able to order a special one without cheese and dressing, so I ate that with the beef jerky. It was a seated lunch in a ballroom like space, with waiters, etc. so it would have been really awkward for me to break out my own food.

Appreciate the advice.

I can appreciate this. I have plenty of these types of events for work as well. Whether we agree or not, doing things like busting out a pouch of tuna at a fancy event in front of your boss can label you as a lot of things you may not want to be associated with in a professional setting. Of course, if it was a more informal event, yeah go microwave your food in the break room or discretely hang out in the back with the dressing from your purse... but these more high profile events are difficult. Glad to see you found a solution. The last one I went to, I ate fruit for breakfast at 7:30 a.m., then couldn't eat again until about 4 p.m. I was running the event, so even more difficult.

Archived