Cold and/or flu for entire whole30... day 17

Josiekk

My husband and I are doing the whole30 but I'm a few days ahead of him and this is my second time through (first whole30 was July). He has had a cold and gotten a bit better and then repeated the cold and now it's worse. He's on day 17. I tell him it's his immune system and gut working it's way through all the sugar and processed food. He's exhausted and sick of it and wants to quit. I still can't figure out how eating crappy food will help him feel better. Any advice to help him stay on track??

• Moderators

If he's exhausted, are you sure he's eating enough? Remember that his servings will be based on his hand size, not yours, and that for everyone, the meal template suggests a range -- so 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, 1-2 servings of fat (generally, in addition to what you cook in), and then fill up your plate with vegetables.

Maybe make him some Whole30 "comfort food" -- chicken soup (I like this one with ginger and garlic:  https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2014/08/17/healing-chicken-soup-paleo-whole30/), baked potato or sweet potato with ghee or coconut oil and salt, stew, roast. Something warm and comforting and filling.

We all know logically that eating crappy food won't really help anything, but for many of us, it's our way to comfort ourselves, and that could've started back in childhood, when being sick meant getting special foods that now we associate with making us feel better. We know it's not really true, but it can be really hard to overcome that habit.

Hang in there! I had 10days this round of being sick (I think it was the flu) BUT I know eating well helped my body fight it. I had lots of bone broth, soup, citrus fruits and eggs with veggies it was all that sounded good but it also made me feel good. 

Archived