what kind of olive oil is best?

Tucker

• Moderators

I'm not sure which recipes you're seeing, the only times I've seen a recipe that specifies light-tasting olive oil is mayonnaise recipes, where using extra virgin olive oil would give you a very strong flavored mayonnaise that most people don't care for. For other recipes, you should be able to use whichever variety of olive oil you like, or any other compliant oil you prefer. EVOO does not do well with very high heat, so you don't want to use it to sear meats. For that, you'd be better off using clarified butter or ghee or maybe coconut oil -- if you google smoke point for different oils, you should be able to find a list or article discussing the temperatures that different oils are best at.

• 6 months later...

If you're wondering about quality, it sometimes is best to look at how it's packaged.  I tend to go for the dark, green glass bottles because it's proper storage for the oil and tastes better.  However, if you're wondering about flavor it really depends as ShannonM816 pointed out.  Lighter olive oil is best for things like dressings, dips, etc.  I also try not to cook with olive oil on high heat and instead use avocado oil which has a higher smoke point.  Sometimes, olive oil is great as a"finishing" for a meal.  Just drizzle a touch over sautteed or roasted veggies for that taste if you like it.

Archived