I am starting Monday, February 5th - and scared.

Tmackeil

Hello everyone!

My name is Tori and I am 27 years-old. I have been struggling with my weight since I was about 10. Every year I have consistently seen my weight get higher and higher. I am honestly scared to try (yet again) something new while being a full-time parent, and a full-time student while also working around my husbands schedule.

I don't have the luxury of going through my pantry and fridge and throwing everything away - so I will need extra self-control. I will certainly need the help and encourage from others in my position.

Side note: I already like black coffee - so we're good on that front! :)

Nice to meet you all!

xoxo Tori

I couldn't get rid of the off-limits items in my kitchen either - my husband is not doing the diet, so I put his items on the top shelves. I'm starting tomorrow. It sounds like you have a lot going on, but think about how much easier it will all be when you feel healthier and have so much more energy :) 

I too am starting on Monday, February 5th.  I am on the other end of the age spectrum, having just celebrated my 73rd birthday.  My daughter successfully completed Whole30 in the Fall and she is the inspiration for this journey.  I am in this for the health benefits.  I think my biggest challenge will be giving up my daily glass (es) of wine.  And breakfasts!

Hopefully this will serve as some encouragement to see it through - I had such incredible health gains from doing the Whole 30, that I would never even consider going back to eating how I did prior.  And I got lucky in that my taste buds have changed - I really enjoy eating Whole 30, and I still do so about 95% of the time.  Just completed my second 100% Whole 30 yesterday.

Here's what happened to me: 

• I lost 40 lbs without increasing exercise or ever feeling hungry (and I've maintained that loss for over 6 months now)
  • I lowered my blood pressure (from 130/90 to 110/70) AND got off of blood pressure medication
  • I went from pre-diabetic to completely normal blood sugar
  • Triglycerides went from 3x normal to normal
  • The inflammation in my severely arthritic ankle went away and I can now run again with no pain
  • Minor eczema has disappeared completely
  • My sleep and mood have both improved modestly

Not everyone sees such dramatic results - I am 55 and was obese - but great things can happen!  It's only 30 days, it's worth an honest attempt.  Good luck, and there is great support here.  

I'm starting on Monday too - there are a few of us - so it might be a little scary but you won't be alone! 

I like my coffee black too - I drank it that way my whole life.  There's a story behind it but I will save it for another time.  I also, in general, don't drink alcohol.  Although I cook with it.  Tomorrow I am making my favorite recipe which is brats cooked in beer with sauteed vegetables and I will probably polish off the rest of the beer but that's the first alcohol I've had in months so it's not a hardship to give it up.  

Jim4884 - I am excited about your ankle (and all the other stuff too) but you give me hope that I might be able to go down stairs one at a time like an adult again.  (arthritic knees).

See- a little scary but exciting too!

Black coffee drinkers group maybe?  I always drank mine black as well, my silly story is short - as a teenager drinking a coffee at a truck stop, overheard a gruffy old trucker say something like "if you wanted a cup of cream and sugar why didn't you order it?" - and stuck with black ever since :) 

Hi Tori!

Im also starting on the 5th and this is my first time. Like you I’m also nervous but excited to start this new chapter in my life. Life can be hectic but I think the most important thing that is heavily stressed to prevent falling off is preparing meals up front. I think that this is the part for me that will be a bit challenging but I will make sure this is on the top of my list of tasks to do on my days off. So far I have my meal plan for the week completed, and this Friday hoping to go pick up items on my grocery list and planning to cook on Sunday. Does anyone have any recommendations on what stores are best for organic produce? Whole Foods vs Traders Joe, Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, Costco, BJs etc... I’m trying to shop around.

15 minutes ago, WJStar said:

Does anyone have any recommendations on what stores are best for organic produce? Whole Foods vs Traders Joe, Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, Costco, BJs etc... I’m trying to shop around.

I am in SoCal so apologize for any geographic irrelevance - I love Trader Joes, good prices, but they often have both organic and "regular". so be careful shopping.  Whole Foods used to be too pricey, but I haven't been back since the Amazon merger/possible price reduction.  The local one has an insane parking lot so not sure when I'll get there.  Costco also hit and miss on organic, but good buys available when they have what you want.  Great organic romaine hearts for $3.99 - I gave away extras to two friends and still had to toss some - too much for 3 humans to eat :D  .

Local chain supermarkets here in San Diego getting better with organic.  I normally do multiple shopping runs during a typical week, something like: stop at Trader Joes on the way home Monday; Sprouts Wednesday; local farmer's market Friday type of thing. 

Thanks Jim that’s great feedback! I thing that’s what I’m going to have to do here as well. I live in Virginia so those stores are all around here as well. Ive also heard Traders Joes prices are better then Whole Foods here too and definitely less then Fresh Market. I plan on going to a local Farmers market too. I lived in San Diego for about two years I miss it out there but it’s too far from NYC which is where I’m originally from. 

14 hours ago, Charlene33 said:

I couldn't get rid of the off-limits items in my kitchen either - my husband is not doing the diet, so I put his items on the top shelves. I'm starting tomorrow. It sounds like you have a lot going on, but think about how much easier it will all be when you feel healthier and have so much more energy :) 

Hi Charlene33,

I couldn't quite figure out how to reply to everyone individually so I figured I would quote your text and hope you see it!

First off, thank you very much for commenting on my post! My husband is military and requires so many carbs my stomach would explode! :lol: I have switched up the routine and given my family our pantry, and I will be using a cupboard for all of my foods. I am trusting myself quite a lot not to give in to temptation. 

I do have quite a bit going on, but I am making my health a priority this time around - plus that energy gain will really help!

Don't hesitate to reach out during your journey :) 

-Tori

14 hours ago, BNanana said:

I too am starting on Monday, February 5th.  I am on the other end of the age spectrum, having just celebrated my 73rd birthday.  My daughter successfully completed Whole30 in the Fall and she is the inspiration for this journey.  I am in this for the health benefits.  I think my biggest challenge will be giving up my daily glass (es) of wine.  And breakfasts!

Hi BNanana,

That is very exciting that you are starting when I am... after the Superbowl.. at least that's my reasoning :lol:

The great thing about this program seems to be its versatility - it's never too late to improve your health. 

I, too, found this program when a friend of mine completed it so I am quite nervous because I've never stuck to a diet very long at all. 

Carbs... I am going to miss carbs, but steak and eggs for breakfast sounds like a great alternative! 

Thanks so much for commenting on my post, and please feel free to reach out to me during your journey for support!

- Tori

13 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Hopefully this will serve as some encouragement to see it through - I had such incredible health gains from doing the Whole 30, that I would never even consider going back to eating how I did prior.  And I got lucky in that my taste buds have changed - I really enjoy eating Whole 30, and I still do so about 95% of the time.  Just completed my second 100% Whole 30 yesterday.

Here's what happened to me: 

• I lost 40 lbs without increasing exercise or ever feeling hungry (and I've maintained that loss for over 6 months now)
  • I lowered my blood pressure (from 130/90 to 110/70) AND got off of blood pressure medication
  • I went from pre-diabetic to completely normal blood sugar
  • Triglycerides went from 3x normal to normal
  • The inflammation in my severely arthritic ankle went away and I can now run again with no pain
  • Minor eczema has disappeared completely
  • My sleep and mood have both improved modestly

Not everyone sees such dramatic results - I am 55 and was obese - but great things can happen!  It's only 30 days, it's worth an honest attempt.  Good luck, and there is great support here.  

Hi Jim4884,

Thank you very much for commenting on my post with your experiences! Clearly there is not lack of positive results here, and you are absolutely right when you say it's worth an honest attempt! While I don't have blood pressure issues myself, I do currently have a slew of other ailments I firmly believe are directly related to my weight. If I can improve/prevent one thing it would most certainly be pre-diabetes. I had gestational diabetes with my son and was told this increased my chances of regular diabetes by about 50% when I turn 40. 

I am extremely happy to hear about your successes and congratulations on finishing the program for a second time!

-Tori 

12 hours ago, KA11 said:

I'm starting on Monday too - there are a few of us - so it might be a little scary but you won't be alone! 

I like my coffee black too - I drank it that way my whole life.  There's a story behind it but I will save it for another time.  I also, in general, don't drink alcohol.  Although I cook with it.  Tomorrow I am making my favorite recipe which is brats cooked in beer with sauteed vegetables and I will probably polish off the rest of the beer but that's the first alcohol I've had in months so it's not a hardship to give it up.  

Jim4884 - I am excited about your ankle (and all the other stuff too) but you give me hope that I might be able to go down stairs one at a time like an adult again.  (arthritic knees).

See- a little scary but exciting too!

Hi KA11,

Thank you so much for commenting on my post! Please reach out to me during your journey for support, I am happy to be there for you :) 

A lot of people just can't drink black coffee so I am glad that is a whole obstacle I won't have to deal with!

I waited until after the Superbowl on purpose because I know there will be SO MUCH temptation there. I will; however, try to control myself in anticipation of starting my Whole30 the next day. I, too, find that alcohol will not be difficult to give up - I am not much of a drinker as it is.

I am so excited, and so nervous!!

- Tori

12 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Black coffee drinkers group maybe?  I always drank mine black as well, my silly story is short - as a teenager drinking a coffee at a truck stop, overheard a gruffy old trucker say something like "if you wanted a cup of cream and sugar why didn't you order it?" - and stuck with black ever since :) 

Hi Jim4884 (again), 

YES! Black Coffee Drinkers UNITE! 

For myself it always seemed like I was missing the point of coffee - if you need 12 creamers and 16 sugars, you don't like coffee, just admit it. 

I blame my love for black coffee on my husband because he always drank it like that while we were dating. I attempted Weight Watchers once, cream and sugar wasn't worth the points, and I've drank black coffee ever since!!

- Tori

12 hours ago, WJStar said:

Hi Tori!

Im also starting on the 5th and this is my first time. Like you I’m also nervous but excited to start this new chapter in my life. Life can be hectic but I think the most important thing that is heavily stressed to prevent falling off is preparing meals up front. I think that this is the part for me that will be a bit challenging but I will make sure this is on the top of my list of tasks to do on my days off. So far I have my meal plan for the week completed, and this Friday hoping to go pick up items on my grocery list and planning to cook on Sunday. Does anyone have any recommendations on what stores are best for organic produce? Whole Foods vs Traders Joe, Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, Costco, BJs etc... I’m trying to shop around.

Hi WJStar!

Yay! Congratulations on the start of your journey!! 

It really is no joke that preparation is KEY in this sort of thing. The most success I have ever had was when it was prepared for me heavily. I am going grocery shopping this weekend, but I am not prepared at all! 

We have a Costco membership, but we also have a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and other larger chains. Personally, I don't see the point in spending extra money on "organic" produce. I plan on finding a Sprouts and will be taking advantage of their deals! 

Please feel free to reach out to me during your journey - I am here for support!

- Tori

Hi Everyone, My hubby and I are starting on the 5th as well.  We are 58 and 60 and kind of in an eating rut.  You know, the sit in front of the t.v. for dinner and then look at each other when we're done and say in unison, "What's for dessert?"  Yup, that's us!  lol  We're thinking it's time to switch things up a bit.  My hubby has some digestive issues we hope to see some improvement/resolution to and I'd like to get over my afternoon energy slump as well as some Acid Reflux issues.  I went to the Shop Rite today and reading the labels was not encouraging, although I've been reading them for quite some time, mostly to avoid high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils.  We've eaten more whole foods than in the past, but are ready to take the next step, with some trepidation on my part as the person doing all the planning and prep.  I'm so glad to know I have companions for this journey!  

Denese : )

I'm going to be starting on the 5th as well. I'm so sick of how I feel and my weight that I need a change. This will be my second whole 30 but my first was over a year ago. I just didn't keep up with the healthy eating and my body is now pissed off. But I love my coffee black as well. Here is to a whole 30 starting feb 5th!!! We can do this together.

7 hours ago, Tmackeil said:

Hi Jim4884 (again), 

YES! Black Coffee Drinkers UNITE! 

For myself it always seemed like I was missing the point of coffee - if you need 12 creamers and 16 sugars, you don't like coffee, just admit it. 

I blame my love for black coffee on my husband because he always drank it like that while we were dating. I attempted Weight Watchers once, cream and sugar wasn't worth the points, and I've drank black coffee ever since!!

- Tori

When I was in middle school my friend's father used to drive us to school a few days a week and we liked to stop at the diner where he would buy us a roll and he would have coffee. We'd have milk or orange juice.  We kept asking him if we could have coffee too, so one day he said we could but we had to drink it black like he did.  I think he thought it would be a deterrent.  Well, he was wrong.  We thought we were so cool not only drinking coffee but drinking it BLACK! We thought we were so grown up!

Later when I was college aged and started drinking it on the regular, it was just natural to take it black and the taste still brings me back to middle school and some of the fun we used to have on our morning trip to school.  Especially when I also have a sweet roll (No - I didn't just say that!).   I'm not college aged any more but I still like my black coffee.

7 hours ago, Tmackeil said:

Hi Charlene33,

I couldn't quite figure out how to reply to everyone individually so I figured I would quote your text and hope you see it!

First off, thank you very much for commenting on my post! My husband is military and requires so many carbs my stomach would explode! :lol: I have switched up the routine and given my family our pantry, and I will be using a cupboard for all of my foods. I am trusting myself quite a lot not to give in to temptation. 

I do have quite a bit going on, but I am making my health a priority this time around - plus that energy gain will really help!

Don't hesitate to reach out during your journey :) 

-Tori

Yes, I saw it. I don't really know how this works either. What is the difference between quote and reply? 

What is the difference between quote and reply? I am trying both to see if I can tell a difference. 

All this talk about coffee made me want coffee, so I'm making a pot now to drink with my dinner (decaf, so I won't be awake all night). I like black also, but I like almond milk, too and that's ok, right, as long as I check the ingredients? Today was my first day, and so far, so good!

1 hour ago, Charlene33 said:

Yes, I saw it. I don't really know how this works either. What is the difference between quote and reply? 

If you just hit "Quote", it pastes the post from that one person.  Or, if like me, you hit the "+" button (just to the left of "Quote"), then hit the "+" button in a different post:

59 minutes ago, Charlene33 said:

What is the difference between quote and reply? I am trying both to see if I can tell a difference. 

All this talk about coffee made me want coffee, so I'm making a pot now to drink with my dinner (decaf, so I won't be awake all night). I like black also, but I like almond milk, too and that's ok, right, as long as I check the ingredients? Today was my first day, and so far, so good!

You can reply to multiple posts at one time.  :) And yes, almond milk is fine as long as there are no non-compliant ingredients

Hey guys! How everyone had a great day today. It’s been a long day today but I feel pretty accomplished by getting things ready to start on the 5th!!!! I went to a few places to shop around but I was so amazed by how much extra ingredients there are in stuff. To be honest I never really bothered before, now I’m in the store and everything I pick up I’m checking the back lol. I felt really proud of myself for being able in a short period of time to learn so much about ingredients. I was more amazed on how many products had sugar!!! Like in things I never even imagine there was sugar. Did anyone else feel like this through their first shopping experience? By the way I literally took about 2 hrs in the store SMH! I also went through my pantry, and fridge and literally got rid of all the junk and things I know I will not be using, I have somethings that were not open which are still good so I figured I take them to a food bank for donation. I have kids so I will be keeping some snacks and things they like to eat but slowly I also plan on changing up what they eat so they are eating at least more wholesome food and less of the processed stuff.

I haven't had a chance to read everything, but I'm commenting so I can catch up! I'm also starting on Feb 5. This will be my 2nd whole 30. My first whole30 was greatly successful!! I began doing it to try and troubleshoot why my bowels kept me running to the bathroom multiple times a day. I figured that out and the BIG PLUS of it.... after living with unexplained infertility for 7 years and unable to have a child, we naturally conceived the month we did whole30 and now have a beautiful little boy. So, I'm a BIG believer that whole30 can heal all sorts of inflammation and health woes!  Since getting pregnant and giving birth last year, my diet has slipped back into the old habits and I'm looking forward to restarting with another round. Looking forward to getting to know you all!

KalinaM., so encouraged by your post!  Congrats on your baby!  WooHoo!

WJStar, I’ve been doing some shopping too.  Yikes!  It is amazing how many things have the no-nos.  I feel very overwhelmed at the moment, but after reading some posts of advice for newbies I decided I’m gonna tweak some of our normal favorite recipes just to lessen the initial shock of change.  It’s the little things, right?

blessings to all......  Denese

Hi everyone! 

I am also starting whole30 tomorrow, and I'm quite nervous!

I'm 29 and i've been struggling with my weight for a long time. This past summer I realized that I wanted to become healthy and a big part of that starts with my diet. I've been doing weight watchers since October and was pretty successful....until Thanksgiving and the Christmas season. I went home for the holidays and consumed way too much sugar! Ever since I've had a really hard time saying no to chocolate in the evenings and realized I need a way to change the way I think about food...which led me here to whole 30! I am so inspired by all the success stories and am hopeful that this will help me change my relationship with food!

I am going to be doing a lot of food prep tonight. I live in Berlin, Germany and we don't have as big of a selection at our grocery stores. So I'll be making clarified butter tonight and I'll be getting creative with some whole30 recipes. 

I wish you all a great start tomorrow! 
Chelsea

Archived