Just finished 30 days! How do I avoid added sugar?

AliDC3

My proudest accomplishment of finishing the Whole30 is finally beating my sugar addiction.  I am terrified of it creeping back up on me.   Have not been able to find many foods that don’t have added sugar - canned soup has it, non-dairy yogurt has it (why?).  Is it OK to have a little, every once in a while?   

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AliDC3 said:

My proudest accomplishment of finishing the Whole30 is finally beating my sugar addiction.  I am terrified of it creeping back up on me.   Have not been able to find many foods that don’t have added sugar - canned soup has it, non-dairy yogurt has it (why?).  Is it OK to have a little, every once in a while?   

The only person that can answer the question 'is it okay to have a little every once in a while' is you.  Usually people's sugar addiction isn't excacerbated by canned soup but if the amount of sugar in there does bother you and cause you to go on a sugar binge (or make it extremely hard not to) then canned soup is out for you.

The way to avoid it is to do the same thing you do with Whole30... if it's not something you're willing to eat then you read labels and you don't buy things that have sugar in them.  I do that with soy... I am never willing to eat soy in any form so every label gets read still every time I buy something even five years out from my first Whole30 because I refuse to eat the stuff... 

My suggestion would be to keep Whole30 and add some canned soup a couple days in a row and see how that affects your sugar cravings...basically a reintro.  I would also caution that canned soup (I know it was just an example but this is worth saying) has a LOT more than just sugar that could be problematic.  I'm assuming that you've done the reintro process and you know how dairy, carageenan, wheat (almost always in canned soup for thickness), soy etc... reacts with your system.

Congrats on 30 days!  That is an awesome accomplishment.  The best way to avoid sugar is to continue to read those labels, and cook things for yourself.  I couldn't believe that breakfast sausage (which I eat pretty much every day) had sugar in it - so now I make my own.  (Trader Joe's ground pork and Bon Appetit's "best sausage recipe" substituting nutmeg for the brown sugar)

Archived