Question about basic portioning / content of meals

MeatEaterYogi

Hi there,

I just started Whole30 a few days ago. I love to cook and I am excited to try some Whole30 recipes, but generally, I cook with basic ingredients and off-script. I think I'm getting the hang of what not to eat, which is basically everything that comes in a package, lol. However, I am wondering about breaking down serving/portion sizes and meal content so I can cook without recipes. 

I am a tall, muscular, athletic woman in her 30's, who probably needs to eat a little more than other ladies due to my large bone frame and activity level. I do get less exercise than I used to due to my desk job and I am gaining weight and getting soft. Even though I usually get in an hour of power yoga, and an hour of cardio outside (run/bike/cross country ski), 6 days a week, I think this still only brings me up to average with someone who exercises like 3 days a week, because I have had some level of hypothyroidism my whole life. I am mentioning this in context for what would be best for my portions.

So this list below is the basic ideas for Whole30 meals that I have surmised from research and chatting with others on the forum. I was hoping to get a "yay" or "nay" on this.

At every meal:

1 to 2 palm sized proteins, AND

2 or 3 cups colorful/green veggies (with the possibility to replace one serving per day with starchy veggies - fist sized, if wanted) AND

ONE FAT: 1 or 2 thumb sized oils OR ghee; OR 1 to 2 handfuls of olives OR coconut flakes; OR 1/2 to 1 avocado; OR 1/4 to 1/2 can coconut milk; OR 1 closed handful of nuts (and the nuts should be once every few days, at only one meal) 

Add ONE or TWO pieces of fruit per day.

Eat a 1/2 portion of protein before a workout, and full portion of protein plus starchy veggie after a workout, both in addition to 3 daily meals. 

And I assume nut butters count as your nut allowance for the few days (no peanuts!). 

I think if this is accurate, it will be better for me than relying entirely on the recipes. Even though they do look great and I want to try them soon. Thanks!!

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, MeatEaterYogi said:

Hi there,

I just started Whole30 a few days ago. I love to cook and I am excited to try some Whole30 recipes, but generally, I cook with basic ingredients and off-script. I think I'm getting the hang of what not to eat, which is basically everything that comes in a package, lol. However, I am wondering about breaking down serving/portion sizes and meal content so I can cook without recipes. 

I am a tall, muscular, athletic woman in her 30's, who probably needs to eat a little more than other ladies due to my large bone frame and activity level. I do get less exercise than I used to due to my desk job and I am gaining weight and getting soft. Even though I usually get in an hour of power yoga, and an hour of cardio outside (run/bike/cross country ski), 6 days a week, I think this still only brings me up to average with someone who exercises like 3 days a week, because I have had some level of hypothyroidism my whole life. I am mentioning this in context for what would be best for my portions.

So this list below is the basic ideas for Whole30 meals that I have surmised from research and chatting with others on the forum. I was hoping to get a "yay" or "nay" on this.

At every meal:

1 to 2 palm sized proteins, AND

2 or 3 cups colorful/green veggies (with the possibility to replace one serving per day with starchy veggies - fist sized, if wanted) AND

ONE FAT: 1 or 2 thumb sized oils OR ghee; OR 1 to 2 handfuls of olives OR coconut flakes; OR 1/2 to 1 avocado; OR 1/4 to 1/2 can coconut milk; OR 1 closed handful of nuts (and the nuts should be once every few days, at only one meal) 

Add ONE or TWO pieces of fruit per day.

Eat a 1/2 portion of protein before a workout, and full portion of protein plus starchy veggie after a workout, both in addition to 3 daily meals. 

And I assume nut butters count as your nut allowance for the few days (no peanuts!). 

I think if this is accurate, it will be better for me than relying entirely on the recipes. Even though they do look great and I want to try them soon. Thanks!!

You got it girl!

Just a couple of notes: you don't HAVE to eat fruit... if you're going to, make it with meals, not as dessert or a snack.  Ideally the pre and post workout are what you have listed but depending on when your meal times are... it can be just a few bites of food :)

And about the fat... if you wanted to do chicken salad with avocado for instance, you CAN have more than one fat... just judge how you go between meals... ideally you're going around 4-5 hours between meals comfortably :)

Thanks!! Perfect! I may have been over doing it with the starchy veggies and nuts....

Luckily not much of a sweet tooth here, don't even crave fruit really, so I probably won't everyday, but I'll make sure I eat it as part of a meal if I do. 

And good to know about just a few bites before and after a workout. That might be enough for me, I have been feeling totally full the first 2 days.

I'll experiment with the extra fat serving at some meals, till I hit the 4 to 5 hour goal you've mentioned. Sounds like you could add a solid fat, if needed, especially if you are using a liquid fat to cook your protein in.

So now we'll see when my cheese-tooth, rice-tooth, and bread-tooth catch up with me..... Thanks again!

Archived