Lynn's First Whole 30!

AndrewsLynn9

I think this will be the best way for me to track my Whole30.  I'm using Melissa's Day By Day book as I do this, so this will be where I can answer those questions and track how I'm feeling so I can look back hopefully at the end and see how far I've come! :)

I started on Mar 1, so I'll catch myself up.  I totally caved and am trying to follow the 1st meal plan in the book just because it helped me focus and not have to think too much on my own to start.  I'll for sure start planning my own meals next week!

3.1 - Breakfast - Spinach frittata, avocado, two tangerines.  Lunch - salmon protein salad on baby spinach, grapes.  Dinner - ground beef with tomato sauce, shredded spaghetti squash.  Had a hardboiled egg as a snack when I went to a baby shower at work, not because I was hungry but to distract me from cake and punch. LOL

3.2 - Breakfast - Leftover beef/tomato sauce/squash with fried egg.  Lunch - salmon protein in green bell pepper, avocado.  Dinner - seared chicken breast, roasted potatoes, green slaw.

What went well:

- Everything has been pretty good the past two days.  I didn't cook my frittata enough, so it wasn't my favorite, but I will keep experimenting.  Eating "dinner" for breakfast seemed really weird, but i was really good.  And I'M SO FULL!!!! I survived black coffee, which is awesome. Everyone was super supportive and interested in what I'm doing and why.  I caught myself repeating what I CAN'T HAVE...until I started rewording it.  I started saying, "For 30 days, I'm choosing to only eat..." and it actually made me feel even better about what I'm doing, and caused better reactions from other people at the same tme.

What could have gone better:  My frittata.  LOL

What I'll do tomorrow:  Tomorrow is my first day where I don't have "work" to keep me busy.  The house is pretty much cleaned out of junk and snacks, but while my husband is completely supporting me, he is NOT doing a Whole 30...so there will be things I see that will probably annoy me.  I'm going to for sure try to exercise a little and maybe clean the house.  Just come up with things to stay busy and not focusing on what I can't have.  Like a glass of wine!  I will also be buying more food storage containers!! LOL

Energy - I'm doing ok.  Not seeing a change for better or worse so I'll take it.  Sleep quality - I slept well, and fell asleep quickly, so that was nice.  Cravings - so far so good.  I really haven't had any issues yet.

I'm so excited to finally be doing this after putting it off for almost a year :)

Of course I'm braindead and posted this as a new post instead of in my log.  Sort of  proves the point to the entry though.

Aaaaaaand, there it is. Day 3 and dang...I'm a bit sleepy today.  i was up too late last night, but still got almost 8 hours of sleep and I'm already ready for a nap :)  Brisket is started in the slowcooker, with potatoes, carrots and onions...house smells yummy just from searing the brisket.  Thankful today for my understanding hubby who is letting me roll with this and not complaining at all LOL

Day 3 is almost in the books.  It's 6:30 pm and I could easily go to bed.  Hubby is looking for a movie instead, so we'll see.

Today:

Meal 1 - leftover frittata, avocado and some grapes.  Meal 2 - Mexican tuna in romaine lettuce, leftover slaw from last night.  Meal 3 - Beef brisket, potatoes and carrots in the slow cooker.  Yum. I was hungry for the first time between meals, so I had two hard boiled eggs and some blueberries.

What went well - food was good today.  It was a decent day over all.  What didn't go so well - still super tired.  I didn't exercise at all, not even a walk, I'll try to do better tomorrow.  I'm doing a 5K with my youngest daughter in April, so I can't really afford to become a permanent slacker. LOL.

Energy - not the best.  Really tired today.  Cravings - really in control so far.  I think I had made a lot of changes before starting this that maybe I won't miss everything as much.  I missed having a glass of wine tonight for the first time, but quickly moved on.  This will get harder as the weather gets nicer and I start sitting outside more in the evenings after work with my husband!  Hoping I sleep well again tonight, I think I need it!

Day 4!

Well, it appears that I should be thankful that I haven't yet hit the KATT stage.  That or no one has told me that I seem crankier than normal.  Had church this morning, then a few hours of groceries and other errands.  Everything restocked for meals this week, so I feel accomplished.   I had hoped to do some meal prepping today, but everything took forever and I'm beat.  I have breakfast ready for tomorrow (kitche sink eggs) and i'll do some prepping after work.

Meal 1 - Fried eggs over leftover beef and tomato sauce.  Meal 2 - leftover Mexican tuna over romaine.  Meal 3 - pork chops and apple sauce over frisee.

What went well - Things went great today!  I'm feeling very blessed.  As I was checking out of the grocery store I went to grab a drink for the ride home and out of habit almost grabbed a Starbucks iced coffee! LOL.  Um, just a little sugar in there.  Grabbed a water instead.  What could have gone better - I was bummed I couldn't find any ham at two different stores that was compliant.  Was hoping to make some breakfast egg muffin things, but I'll do some research.  There is a Whole foods close to my work, so i may run there at lunch on Tuesday.

Energy - so/so today.  We good throughout the day, but I'm tired now and it's only 6:30. So, still a work in progress.  Cravings - honestly going great, I'm not having any.  Sleep - I slept hard last night but had VERY weird dreams.  Hopefully that goes away soon. :)

Day 5 is almost in the books.  Things are decent.  I've hit the, um, digestive adjustment period that I was warned about. Thankfully I worked from home today so I could make my many bathroom breaks without embarrassment. LOL.

Meal 1 - kitchen sink eggs with spinach, jalapeno and onion, banana.  Meal 2 - Greek salad with hard boiled eggs.  Meal 3 - salmon, leftover Greek salad.

Things are going ok.  I was still a little tired today, but I saw some improvement.  Once again I intended to at least walk this morning, but i was sooooooo tired when the alarm went off I talked myself out of it.  I've decided to be patient with myself on the exercise front for now.  If I get the urge, I'll do it.  Otherwise, I'll add that next week once i have week 1 under my belt.

What went well - I stayed compliant and honestly didn't have any issues.  I did some lunch prep for the rest of the week as well.  Energy - so/so again today.  Better than yesterday!  Cravings - I briefly wished for a Dr. Pepper, which is ironic, because I rarely drank soda even before the Whole30. I'll chalk that up to weird.  Sleep - my goodness I am sleeping soundly, it's amazing.

Day 6!!! Day 6 was rough.  Nothing to do with Whole30, just an incredibly long and somewhat frustrating day at work.  That being said, once I got home and had my dinner and had time to reflect, I would like to think that the Whole 30 made it a bit bearable.  In the past, I doubt I would have gotten through today without snacks or candy in the afternoon.  Instead, I had a breakfast of hardboiled eggs and some berries (was rushing to work, but got something in), a lunch of leftover pork chop and apple sauce.  And i was satisfied all day.  And I didn't have the post-lunch crash.  And I was able to put in the extra 1.5 hours after my normal routine to get some things knocked out that just had to get done.  I came home and had a nice dinner of leftover salmon and greek salad with egg.  I was still a little hungry so I had a few halos to have something sweet and just a little more food.

I have some needed blood work being done in the morning so I can't eat until that is done, and I just KNOW I'm going to be quite hungry now that I'm getting used to that good first meal in the morning!  But I will have a nice breakfast when I get home before I start working.  

What went well today - I stayed compliant.  What could go better - I need more time on the days I have to leave the house for work to have a calm breakfast, even if it means getting up a little earlier, or going in a little later.  Cravings - REALLY craved my glass of wine today after long day at work.  Instead I made sure I got right to dinner and calming down in other ways.  Energy - pretty good.  I didn't feel so exhausted today for sure.  Sleep - slept HARD again.  I pray this change lasts...I don't know...forever? :)

Feeling quite proud of me today.  So thankful this is going well.

Day 7 is done! Woohoo!

Meal 1 - hardboiled eggs, banana.  Meal 2 - spinach, egg salad, avocado.  Meal 3 - pork chili.  Running late for me today, so this will be short.  But tonight I had church service tonight that involved a meal - one which I could not partake in, so I planned and brought my own - the chili.  The yummy tacos everyone else was having smelled really good, but it was so funny having the people who know I am doing the Whole 30 come up and say how "not bad" my dinner looked.  I told each one of them - I'm eating WELL, y'all, don't feel sorry for me! :)

I could have probably eaten the meat and vegetables everyone was using for tacos, but I didn't want to interrogate the volunteer cooks who prepared the meal, so I was happy to eat my own while we ate together.  It started conversations about the Whole30 I was more than willing to have.  I'm sure we are the most ANNOYING people. :) I'm justso excited to already have a week under my belt :)

My goodness, I have been busy these past few days, which I suppose is a good thing!  Day 10 is about to be in the books! 10 DAYS!!! If you had told me a year ago even that I would be 10 days into this and feeling pretty darn good, I would have laughed.  But all in all, things are good.  I won't lie, there have been moments.  LIke Thursday, day 8, when my youngest was going through a ridiculously emotional time, and I WANTED WINE!! It really didn't seem fair. :( But of course, I made it.  And today, as I planned this coming week's meals and thought, however briefly, that it would be nice to just order a sub sandwich for lunch on Thursday. LOL. Ironic, since I suspect gluten may be something I don't successfully re-add when this is over.  But, time will tell.

The best so far is that I'm really not hungry between meals. I eat what I'm supposed to, I eat until I am satisfied, and I'm not freakin' hungry.  Go figure. 

Hubby is ready to watch a movie, so I should run.  I will briefly crave popcorn because movies and popcorn just go together.  But I shall survive. :)  

Day 11! Sunday with one less hour of sleep :) So this is what Sundays have become....church....grocery shopping to restock everything i need for my planned 3 meals per day...whipping another batch of mayonnaise and vinaigrette.  Oy.  I would complain, but things are going so well, I am choosing not to.  I'm such a control freak, this planning part is actually right up my alley.  I already planned dinners before, now I'm just planning other meals as well.  Still...I feel a bit like a caterer on Sunday afternoons and oh my Lord, the dishes.

Meal 1 - sunny side up lefts over leftover pork chili, orange.  Meal 2 - chicken salad with spinach and avocado, apple.  Meal 3 - lemon garlic chicken, cauliflower rice, spinach.  Snack - almonds.

What went well today - things were good.  Someone at church asked how things were going and it was great to say it was going great! My energy level is slowly improving.  It's not the tiger blood I keep hearing about, but it's better.  I'm sleeping so soundly, but still having weird dreams.  That may have nothing to do with Whole30, or it may be my sugar demon trying to talk to me when I'm asleep LOL.  Today I had several cravings, mostly because there were things my husband was eating that I miss - hummus, peanut butter.  Sigh.  They passed though!  

Tomorrow exercise is tentatively scheduled for first things in the morning.  I CANNOT run with food in my stomach, so I'm going to try to do it first things in the a.m. and have a good first meal afterwards.  I'll watch to see if I have to make adjustments;

• 2 weeks later...

DAY 26! I can't believe it honestly.  This has been the best decision I have made in I don't know how long.  If I'm being completely honest, there aren't even too many things I'm excited about reintroducing.  I never thought I would NOT miss so many things!  That being said, I am planning my slow introduction as I finish this last week of my Whole 30.

I am feeling so good.  I'm six weeks into the Couch to 5K program now, and that's going well, too.  I'm learning to make sure my body has the food I need to not suffer through exercise and recovery like I used to.

I had to drive 5 hours away this past weekend to help our youngest move to a new apartment somewhat unexpectedly (breakup).  I was thankful to have my meals planned already and I was able to schedule them around when I would be in the car and when I'd have access to a kitchen while everyone else had pizza and beer LOL.  I did have a craving for wine because my daughter and I enjoy it together, but I made due with my sparkling water instead and we survived :)

What I feel I have already learned is that I have a lot of life left to live, and I will likely eat pizza again someday.  But, it will be on my terms - when I want, IF I want, and knowing what it will probably make me feel like.

Time to make some protein salads for lunch prep this week since I was out of town for meal prep day this weekend.  Hope everyone is doing great!

On 3/26/2018 at 6:38 PM, AndrewsLynn9 said:

What I feel I have already learned is that I have a lot of life left to live, and I will likely eat pizza again someday.  But, it will be on my terms - when I want, IF I want, and knowing what it will probably make me feel like.

I LOVE this! That’s how I am feeling as I start reintros. Cheers to you and hope it continues to go well!

Well, lookie there, my first Whole30 is complete!! Success feels so incredibly good.

I've bounced back and forth on my reintroduction plans, from being ready to never reintroduce some things to where  am now...I've decided since this is my first Whole30, I should do the fast track structured reintroduction so I can learn fairly quickly how each of the foods affects me.  I've written it out, wrote my meal plans for this next week accordingly.  It was funny to realize that there will be yet another week before I have gluten in my previously overused meals  - still another week with no bread or pasta with gluten, and I'm not really upset about it.  While I don't know yet that I'll be eliminating it from my diet forever, I do suspect it will be something I will have sparingly.  We'll see!

It was fun just to have hummus back on my list, and peanut butter.  My husband only wants to know when we can have rice again LOL.  I always offered to make him our regular sides to meals I was making, bug he was really a trooper about it.  He is NOT a fan of cauliflower rice.  He tried, I have to give him credit.  :)

So many Whole30 veterans have cautioned me to handle my reintroduction as seriously as I did the Whole30 and I am committed to doing so.  I already feel better having a plan.  

Thanks to all here who share their wisdom and experience with us newbies.  It is so valuable and appreciated more than I can express!!  

Here's to food freedom!!!!!

I-finished-the-Whole30-blue.jpg

Archived