Starting on 3.19.2018 Is Anyone else?

Lexdemedici

@SusieDI can relate! I'm at the end of day 18. I'm starting to see and feel results, so that's good, but I'm also wanting to eat forbidden foods. I like the Whole 30 options, it's not that. I think I'm partly just bored. At a breakfast restaurant this morning I ordered a nice veggie scramble, but I so wanted bacon also, even though yesterday at home yesterday I had the yummier no-sugar bacon. This afternoon I was breaking up a blueberry pancake to feed my granddaughter and wanted to pop a bite in my mouth also. Et cetera! I'm coping after dinner by giving myself a little fruit (a few berries or apple or banana slices) with some nuts or almond butter as a treat. It helps. My biggest fear is that I'm going to mindlessly pop something in my mouth (like my granddaughter's pancake) that shouldn't be there. On the up side, we're both reaching the two-thirds mark and that's pretty fantastic. Hang in there!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey folks, I'm here from the Starting on 4/1 or 4/2 thread (and all those great folks). I came looking for some ideas about what others are experiencing. I'm on Day 11 now and still struggling with fatigue and bad sleep. I came into this with a relatively healthy diet but way too many sugars and simple carbs, so the sugar withdrawal and carb flu has been intense. I love the Whole 30 plan, its simplicity and strict guidelines, which I think is very helpful for killing off my evil sugar dragon. But I really wish my energy would return. I've kept at my active workout and life activities, but it's pretty hard/grueling. Any others have tips or just give me a glimmer of hope? Thanks!

@suzannesI didn't start feeling draggy until about the point you are at, but my sleeping was dismal up until about Day 17 or 18. (I'm at the end of Day 20.) Like you, I'm a pretty healthy eater except for my very longstanding sugar addiction. According to the book, the sugar spikes can continue for a while even after you go off sugar, and that can account for some of the bad sleep, which it probably did for me. What I've also done is to eliminate caffeine. At the beginning of the program my breakfast coffee was already only half or one-third caffeine, but several nights (like, 13 or 14 hours later!!!) I had the buzzy, hyper-alert feeling I get if I have caffeine late in the day. So for the last two or three days my morning cup is all decaf. I'm still waking up a couple of times a night to pee, and that's more on Whole 30 than in my carb life, but I'm falling asleep faster at bedtime and going back to sleep easier and quicker now. On the days when I felt my draggiest I decided to not push myself. I let my body rest as much as I could, including trying to go to bed earlier. You might also just check to be sure that you're eating enough protein and nutrient-dense carbs at your meals. Don't skimp. Remember that you are not eating foods that are going to be stored as body fat. Best of luck to you. It's been a bit of a slog at times, but overall Whole 30 is the best eating program I've tried, and I've tried many!

40 minutes ago, Ellenelle said:

@suzannesI didn't start feeling draggy until about the point you are at, but my sleeping was dismal up until about Day 17 or 18. (I'm at the end of Day 20.) Like you, I'm a pretty healthy eater except for my very longstanding sugar addiction. According to the book, the sugar spikes can continue for a while even after you go off sugar, and that can account for some of the bad sleep, which it probably did for me. What I've also done is to eliminate caffeine. At the beginning of the program my breakfast coffee was already only half or one-third caffeine, but several nights (like, 13 or 14 hours later!!!) I had the buzzy, hyper-alert feeling I get if I have caffeine late in the day. So for the last two or three days my morning cup is all decaf. I'm still waking up a couple of times a night to pee, and that's more on Whole 30 than in my carb life, but I'm falling asleep faster at bedtime and going back to sleep easier and quicker now. On the days when I felt my draggiest I decided to not push myself. I let my body rest as much as I could, including trying to go to bed earlier. You might also just check to be sure that you're eating enough protein and nutrient-dense carbs at your meals. Don't skimp. Remember that you are not eating foods that are going to be stored as body fat. Best of luck to you. It's been a bit of a slog at times, but overall Whole 30 is the best eating program I've tried, and I've tried many!

Thank you so much @Ellenelle for sharing your similar experiences, this is very helpful.  Everything you said definitely applies here too.  You are right on about the sugar and, sadly, the caffeine. I had cut my coffee to half decaf too, but I need to consider going all decaf. Sugar is evil and it's not pretty to try and slay that dragon for good. I agree that Whole 30 seems like the best way to tackle all of this. Thank you for all the great feedback and tips, I really appreciate it. Best of luck to you too, sounds like you're doing great! 

I am just a few days from the finish line and still not feeling it. I’ve been pretty vigilant so am not sure where I’ve gone astray. I have a bit of indigestion, not a ton of energy and I blew it and stepped on the scale which was up not down. Feeling confused. Any advice?

@SusieD So sorry you are struggling, but please hang in there. Just finishing the 30 days will be a huge success. I'm hoping that one of the moderators will jump on the thread to evaluate what you've been eating and give you some expert advice, but in the meantime I'll share what I've learned over the last 24 days. My biggest takeaway is that when I've been at my lowest it's probably because I'm not eating enough fat and calorie-dense veggies. I'm a veteran dieter, going back to when fats and carby vegs like potatoes were forbidden foods and calories counted for everything. What I've learned about myself is that even though I now know better, I'm still avoiding them a bit. On top of that I've had an aversion to sweet potatoes since I was a child. I've never been a picky eater, so I don't know why, but it's longstanding. A few days ago, in an effort to feel less hungry and craving between meals, I baked some sweet potatoes and had half a one for dinner. Well! I've had at least half a day ever since, at breakfast, lunch or dinner, and now they're my new best friend. This morning at breakfast (2 eggs fried in coconut butter + 4 or 5 oz of sauteed spinach + a cup of black coffee) I added in about half a banana sliced into a bowl with a tablespoon or two of almond butter and a heaping teaspoon of shredded coconut. Yesterday I added about a quarter of baked sweet potato and half an avocado to breakfast. And by the way, I'm eating those sweet potatoes with plenty of melted ghee. Lunch was leftover sauteed chicken breast with tomatoes, olives, and capers plus about two cups of steamed broccoli (also left over) and another almost half a potato. I had a few blackberries for dessert. I feel very satisfied and did not crave the big chunky chocolate chip cookie my husband was eating after his lunch. Dinner tonight is probably going to be a hamburger with grilled portabello bun plus maybe some roasted butternut squash and brussels sprouts, and more sweet potato if I feel I need it. The other thing I took to heart was the advice to salt my food. I take a low dose of blood pressure medicine, so of course I've been cautioned about adding salt at the table, but my fasting bp yesterday morning was 99/75 so I'm not too concerned. One more thing: The book doesn't really emphasize hydration, but I assume it's important. I drink 64 oz of water every day plus my 6 or 8 oz of coffee. Among other things, it helps with digestion. Just a thought. Last thing: I have about a week left to finish this Whole 30. I've decided to continue and try to make it a Whole 60. That will give me more time to refine what I'm learning about how to tailor the program to what works best for me and, hopefully, to further fortify me against the old sugar dragon. I also want to allow some additional time for health benefits and, of course, weight loss. I'd be happy to stay in touch if you decide to keep going. 

• 11 months later...
On 4/14/2018 at 1:29 PM, SusieD said:

I am just a few days from the finish line and still not feeling it. I’ve been pretty vigilant so am not sure where I’ve gone astray. I have a bit of indigestion, not a ton of energy and I blew it and stepped on the scale which was up not down. Feeling confused. Any advice?

Hi Susie,

I'm just starting, but having read a lot about nutrition throughout the years and having read Melissa's book, maybe there is something that you are eating to which your body does not respond well, like the nightshade vegetables (green pepper, potatoes, tomatoes, etc.).  Everything about the program that she describes says "win" unless there is something else going on.  If I were in your shoes, I would revisit the book, look at the alternative plans that she includes, and see what I could change.  I certainly wouldn't start reintroducing other foods until I felt better.

Another possibility is that perhaps you aren't getting enough of a variety of fruits and vegetables which would then limit the vitamins and minerals that you are taking in.  And another possibility is that perhaps your body needs more time to detox and such.  

I would also consider water.  If we don't drink enough of it, our bodies can't expel toxin, our cells can't function at maximum capacity, and we can feel lethargic.

Anyway, it's great that you have remained committed.  I hope that you find the answer you need to feel better soon.  I truly believe that this is a brilliant plan, good for almost anyone with the desire to improve their overall health.

Archived