Headache a day after trying aspartame?

embeesea

Help? I am day 5 into my reintroduction period and I decided to take it REALLY slow. Before I start to add legumes, I wanted to test out how I respond to Splenda and Nutrasweet. So on day 1, I had a few things with Splenda, no big changes, except the food just didn't have the same quality as whole30 food. Yesterday was Nutrasweet day...I would have told you much the same as day 1, until this morning. For about 4 hours now, I've had a splitting headache. I don't usually get headaches, but it feels like a poker has been inserted the left side of my head and all the way through.

My question is, can I really blame this on the Nutrasweet if it's almost a whole day later? I ate 2 little cups of sugar free jello and drank a half bottle of Sprite Zero, that I finished by about 1pm yesterday. The worst thing yesterday was feeling a little extra gassy from drinking the soda. I had normal sleep last night.

Thoughts?

• Moderators

One reason we ask people to go back to Whole30 eating for at least 2 days between reintroductions is that sometimes reactions may show up after several hours or even a day. 

If you really want to know for sure whether it's the nutrasweet, you could wait at least two days, or until you feel better if it takes a little longer, and then try again. I'd try to make sure there is nothing else that you haven't been eating during Whole30 -- for instance, in the jello, there may have been food coloring that you probably haven't had during your Whole30. So maybe just get some nutrasweet powder and sweeten some tea or coffee or something like that. That's if you really want to know for sure -- it's pretty easy to avoid nutrasweet if you just want to assume that's what you're reacting to and just not have it going forward.

Thank you...I guess my real question was whether such a small amount would cause a significant headache a whole day later. I hadn't considered the other junk that might be in the jello or whatever beverages I drank. This is no fun. I just want to stick with whole30 eating forever.

Archived