Whitney's Whole 30- San Diego Spring!

SunnyinSanDiego

My first Whole30! Over the last few months I have been feeling clogged, that totally overwhelmed but unmotivated feeling. My partner Adam has been experiencing some health issues and so it has been up to me to pick up extra work at home while taking on a second job at work (that's right two jobs), and trying to keep myself healthy, happy and nourished. I love yoga and believe a healthy lifestyle is how we can feel our best so we can be our most loving, compassionate selves. However I also love burritos and wine... Insert the Whole 30!

Pre-Day: I made a poster for my fridge that shows the calendar, a simple yes or no list of approved and not approved foods, a prep list (clean out kitchen, if this than that plan, emergency meals) and some little pictograms and things to do on the weekend that do not involve Craft Beer (a normal hobby here in San Diego.) I cleaned out the fridge and the pantry. Did a great run to Costco (the deals on oils!), Target and Sprouts. I am already a meal planner so that part came easy. I spent 2.5 hours meal prepping for this week, and I am hoping that is sustainable in the coming weeks. But now we are ready for Day 1!

Day 1:

Breakfast: Spinach and tomato frittata with black coffee. Easy peasy. 

Lunch: Thai noodle salad (zoodles and cucumber and carrot) with grilled chicken.

This was great, but I need more protein! About 3 p.m. I started to drag, and get hungry. I normally like to hit the gym after work, so I did eat an apple with some herbal tea at 4:00 p.m. Then it was time for a workout and a steam. I am super fortunate to have a badass gym near my work, with cool classes, a pool, sauna and a steam room. Going to keep my gym routine going during this whole 30 journey.

Dinner: Adam and I were a little on edge when I got home. Why do guys stand in the middle of the kitchen when you're trying to cook dinner! Help or move! Stuffed bell peppers and kale with almonds was super satisfying.

I ended up being a busybody after dinner, doing dishes watering plants etc. I am feeling this need to have it all together, a clean house, clean laundry, healthy food, gym, work, saving money. But damn is it hard.

Didn't sleep too well, but I think that was the fluctuation in temperature and the cat... Day 2 off to a headachey start but I am hopeful.

Hi @SunnyinSanDiego!  I just started my first Whole30 yesterday as well :) Love your pictogram- way to go prepping your mindset for this journey.  My day 1 went pretty well yesterday (just couldn't turn my brain off to fall asleep last night) and I'm plugging along through day 2 here in cold NH (still snowing today- ugh!)  Thanks for sharing your journey as it's not only extra support for others who are on this, but I am finding that I'm getting great meal/food ideas from others as well!

Cheers to day 2!

~K

Day 2 has been kind of stressful.  I keep having anxiety about like omg am I doing this right? I feel confident in my ingredients but not in my portions of fat and protein and veggies and nuts. ANXIETY LEVEL 1.

My partner Adam Has been texting me (we both work full-time+) saying he is nonstop hungry, has a headache. ANXIETY LEVEL 2. So I started digging on the forums and website, and I think I skimped too much on protein and fat for breakfast and lunch. So it is off to trader joes I go after work for olives, sausages, meat patties and guacamole. I keep telling myself this is a journey, and there is no straight path to success.

And, I have had a headache above my left eye all day....

Day 3 Here we go!

Day 2 ended on a better note than it started. I hit Trader Joes and got a lot of great items (thanks Pinterest for the shopping lists!) Got compliant sausage and guac to add to lunches and breakfast, as well as more coconut oil for coffee.

Dinner on Day 2: Perfect Roasted chicken, we added an herb crust. Baked to perfection. Microgreens salad with beets, oranges and avocado and steamed broccoli. This was super satisfying and rounded out our day.

Starting Day 3 with spinach and tomato frittata with guacamole and chicken sausage (compliant from TJs) and cold brew with some coconut milk and oil. Feeling great so far, so let's see how Day 3 hangover goes...

I do not understand how I am supposed to be feeling on Day 3?!

Lunch was the final bowl of Thai "noodle" salad with some chicken, I added a turkey burger patty and olives. I feel fine and have energy... am I do something wrong? My normal diet is pretty healthy whole foods, I love to cook and I meal prep all lunches which are mostly salads with protein, so the recipes for Whole30 do not feel that foreign to me. But I am having anxiety about if I am doing something wrong, because shouldn't I feel worse? Also, WTF does it say about me that I have anxiety because I feel good?

george-costanza.jpg

The closer you are in your daily eating to a Whole30, the less difference you'll find "overall" during the 30 days.  You'll still potentially find some issues with reintros due to the clean slate that gets created, but you're not going to get that cold water shock like you would if you were coming from a lifestyle of daily McDonald's and Pizza Hut.

20 minutes ago, kirkor said:

The closer you are in your daily eating to a Whole30, the less difference you'll find "overall" during the 30 days.  You'll still potentially find some issues with reintros due to the clean slate that gets created, but you're not going to get that cold water shock like you would if you were coming from a lifestyle of daily McDonald's and Pizza Hut.

Thank you @kirkor ! That feels reassuring. I hope I will get some effects of the whole 30 during the process, good and bad! 

I didn’t have the carb flu / kill everything phase, but I still saw benefits! I feel your pain on doing it “right.” I found this forum to be super helpful in normalizing some things and in the reminder that anyone’s whole30 can be different as well as perfect for wherever you are in the journey. Cheers. :)

Day 3 Ending: Went to an amazing, hot, sweaty yoga class and it felt amazing. Went home with Chicken Chowder (from Whole30 book) in my sights, get the chicken in the oven and go to open some broth... dun dun dun- CHICKEN BROTH HAS SUGAR. VEGGIE BROTH HAS SUGAR... You have got to be kidding me. Make a quick dash to my neighborhood Mexican grocery story and ahhhh they have bone broth- no sugar! Chicken chowder is back on!  And it was delicious! Added some avocado to the top for a little fat. I felt full and satisfied after one bowl. It was a two La Croix kind of night. TBH, I have a full sparkling water addiction, have for years. I really only prefer the plain with real lemon or lime squeezed in, it is just so refreshing! 

Day 4: Work up feeling clear-headed, with energy and ready for the day. 

Breakfast: compliant chicken sausage, banana and two hard boiled eggs, cold brew with compliant coconut milk and oil. I was as not super hungry but forced myself to eat it all. I want to check out the new "butts and guts" class my gym is offering at lunch!

We will see what today brings! Adam and I have been a little "backed up" but will be hoping to remedy that with some apple cider vinegar later today...

Current mood: 

Day 4 and feeling good! Again, am I doing something wrong? Still have a little bit of a stomach ache but in general feeling pretty good. I do have smidge, tiny bit of the kill all the things but it feels how I generally feel when I have too many "need to to do's" hanging over my head.

Breakfast: Breakfast: compliant chicken sausage, banana and two hard boiled eggs, cold brew with compliant coconut milk and oil.

Gym: Butts and Gutts/Stretching Class 1 hour

Lunch: Leftover chicken chowder with guacamole and water with lemon.

PLANNED- Dinner: Chili (from Whole 30 book) with avocado

Day 4, 5, 6 and 7 Morning

Took a walk while dinner was cooking which was super pleasant!

Dinner Night 4: Whole30 Chili and salad- microgreens, raspberries, pecans, radish and lemon juice + olive oil

Night time Chamomile tea

Day 5 was friday, which was going to be hectic at work.

Breakfast: was not ideal, leftover roasted chicken, guacamole and coffee.

Lunch: Chicken chowder again, with guac and water.

Dinner: The boyfriend made tuna steaks caught by a friend of ours, baby bok choy with coconut aminos and avocado. This was delicious and filling.

I ended up making homemade stock in the instapot and prepped for breakfast for tomorrow. Go me!

Day 6: Saturday I woke up with a case of the sleepy grumpy's! I had not been feeling a lot of the timeline until Day 6, but man did I feel it. I was hosting a flower arranging workshop at my house and I had to clean and prep for that but I was so tired!

Breakfast: Made a sweet potato hash with leftover roasted chicken (day 2) and topped with avocado and served with an apple.

Lunch: Thrown together! I had leftover roasted chicken from Chicken Chowder (day 3), with kale sauteed in coconut oil (an old fav) with a side of olives. I was scrambling to put this together because I needed to eat before my friends showed up with their champagne and hummus... But I did not break! I did not waiver! I drank a La Croix and all my friends did not try to tempt me. 

Dinner: Another omg moment. My grandpa is in town and guess where the family wanted to go... Olive Garden. I despise chain restaurants (In and Out Exception applies) so I was like ARE YOU EFFING... OKAY FINE. Did a bunch of research, and I ended up ordering naked grilled salmon, a naked salad and steamed broccoli.

Spent the evening grocery shopping and meal prepping for the week. Have to go to a family bbq tonight, so gave my aunt and uncle a list of okays and no gos. Wish me luck.

Day 7: Another sleepy morning, but have to get up to teach yoga! 

Breakfast: BLT salad. I found compliant bacon! Joy to the world, the pork has come. A little tomato, hard boiled egg, guacamole and just olive oil vinegar dressing. Let's do this Day 7! 

Day 7 Re-Cap!

Breakfast: BLT salad. I found compliant bacon! Joy to the world, the pork has come. A little tomato, hard boiled egg, guacamole and just olive oil vinegar dressing. With coffee.

Taught yoga then did some volunteer work.

Lunch: Bison burger patty, sauteed red pepper and onion and a little leftover chili.

Dinner: Steak, baked potato, and a green salad. Had a bbq with the family, and definitely had to look away from chips and dip. I drank a lot of water to try to keep from having any cravings.

Day 8: So far is a struggle. I have been on the struggle bus since I woke up this morning. I don't think my food was that great yesterday, and I'm just tired! 

Breakfast: Egg bake with ground turkey and kale, guacamole on top and an apple. Coffee with coconut milk (compliant)

Lunch: taco salad with ground turkey, olives on the side and water. 

At my desk feeling grumpy and tired and trying not to reach for more coffee or a snack. I am having some organic compliant green tea. And I realize that this has some caffeine and it is after 12, but I have not had any trouble sleeping and this is a better than having coffee.

Counting down the minutes till I get to hit the gym for a steam and go home.

Have not posted since day 7, but I am on Day 15! 15! Halfway! I won't bother trying to remember what I have eaten, but we have stuck with it! I have been noticing some non-scale changes. My skin is clearer, belly flatter, my mind is clear and I have a lot of energy. Yesterday we laid by the pool then went to the gym and I felt glowing! I have definitely been craving some weird stuff and having food dreams. I dreamt I ate a chip, and then I felt so guilty in the dream. My partner had a dream about fruit snacks.  I heard someone open a La Croix in my office and it made me want a Diet Coke so bad, and I hardly ever drink soda. It is so strange to really see the psychological hold food has over us. While I still have been wanting to go out eat (I love eating at restaurants) I am at the point where I'm like meh, nothing sounds good and I don't care... ha! But I feel energized, and ready for that TIGER BLOOD! 

Archived