Anyone else starting 4/21??

Vanessa_

How’d everyone do over the weekend? My in-laws were in town and brought with them: nutter butters, cinnamon raisin bread and cinnamon raisin bagels. They tried to leave it all here when they left today and I made them take it with them!

Marj- sushi roll ups sound delicious!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 16. More than half way through! My weekend was okay. I made ketchup and my husband commented that he would have given up by now if it meant he had to make his own mayo, ketchup, etc. LOL! The irony is that I thought this weekend that I definitely couldn't eat this way every single day. I don't know how people do it. I think I need to adjust my expectations. I do see some very small physical changes, but I had really hoped to see more at this point. Sigh. So I need to manage my expectations. At this point, it's sheer stubbornness that is keeping me going. And I keep telling myself that Melissa says some people don't see the magic until the end. It's hard to keep going when you aren't feeling the magic yet. :mellow: How are all of you managing?

Vanessa - Good job making the ILs take all the junk food with them!

Woohoo! More than half way--that's awesome. Yeah, us! I'm day 18.

I hear you on the not seeing as many results. I've was tired, spacey, achey, stomach acidy yesterday. My appetite has been little to none, but I am making sure to eat. I've done research and moderators say I probably need more protein (ugh!) and maybe fat. I'm not sure how I could possibly need more fat, but we'll see. But trying to focus on the results I am seeing and very hopeful that it will turn around as Melissa and everyone keeps saying. I am trusting in the process. The Day by Day book is helpful. They say not to compare ourselves to others who may be bursting with energy or something. Haha. Yeah. The struggle is real! :) 

Is anyone else sick of EATING? :) lol. 

Beautiful day here in Brooklyn, ladies. Have a good one. 

M

Marj - getting the proportions of protein to fat to carbs can be surprisingly challenging. And frustrating. I still seem to struggle eat enough. :rolleyes:

Yeah, trying to remind myself that comparison is the thief of joy.

I definitely think I’ve been overdoing the fat in my food - might be the reason I don’t feel my pants getting looser (which is definitely frustrating!) I do feel more energetic today though. I was able to go to spin this morning, go for two walks and still had energy to scoot around with the kids and I don’t feel like collapsing now. I was REALLY hungry today - maybe the extra exercise. I started today to be better about measuring the fat for meals to make sure I wasn’t overdoing it. 

Hi, ladies. Wow, Vanessa, that IS active! 

Hello on a gorgeous day here in Brooklyn, NY! I am finally feeling 2-3 days of pretty consistent and up energy and 3 good nights of sleep. Wshew. I have focused on proteins, tons of veg and a little healthy fats WITH meals. Not snacking, which still takes some getting used to, especially sweets (dates, chestnuts, dried apricots). Interestingly, I've started having cravings the past few days when I see stuff, which I hadn't really had before. I think it's my body's last ditch effort to go for sweets. Makes sense since I finally tapered off of those. 

My belly is still really bloated, so I'm considering going off "High FODMAP" foods for the last week and seeing what happens. Do you guys know about that? It's kind of funny, especially the name or acronym. Not even sure what it stands for. We'll see. 

hi all, we had a long weekend over here on Monday so I took the Friday and Tuesday off as well so I have had a lovely 5 day weekend. thats my good news. the bad news is that Im out. I gave in on Saturday as it just got too hard.

Im at work atm and I will read through all your posts as soon as I get through my work emails.

congratulations to you all for being so strong and making it this far.

Marj - I'm glad you are feeling more energy! That's great!

Vanessa - You did really do a lot the other day!

I was exhausted today. Not sure why. I feel like I am getting enough protein and veggies and fruit. I've been trying to make sure I have healthy fats with every meal. And I rarely snack (only when I'm truly hungry). I've been sleeping okay for several days now, so that's good. Anyway.

What NSVs have you all noticed? 

12 hours ago, Vanessa_ said:

Marj- I looked at the FODMAP food list. I’m afraid if you eliminate all those things you will have nothing left to eat!

Ha! We've already eliminated most of those things. It's just cutting certain fruits, veg and nuts. The garlic and onion thing is interesting--I've often had a reaction to those in the past and cut them out for a while, but missed them. They say I can have garlic oil, thankfully, because wow. Hello, flavor gods. 

Hi, @luluqld. I was wondering where you were at. I agree with @rusrach, don't be hard on yourself. You may want to just be curious about what's happening for you with habitual foods and alcohol--but lay on the self-compassion while doing so. I know it's tough! I think the main reason I'm able to do this is because I can be very black and white. 

@rusrachare you feeling more energy? If you check my activity feed, you can see the conversations I had about energy and meal proportions. People/moderators gave me really good tips. I just have to have a good chunk of protein in every meal, lots of veg and a bit of fat. I'm going easier on the fruit, because it can spike sugar levels, especially earlier in the day. The idea too, is to eat large enough meals to not need to snack. This all took a lot of getting used to and I was so skeptical that that could be why I was tired, but it actually worked. My energy is more even keel and lasting throughout the day!

Vanessa_Your body may just be adjusting. Are you still having a lot of sugars and fruits? 

Hugs, everybody!! M

Lulu- I’m a little jealous of your five day weekend! Sorry about your lapse - any thoughts about starting again? 

Marj- A friend of mine started whole30 and had more stomach trouble than before whole30. She finally figured out it was the garlic and onions that was causing the problem. Maybe just eliminate them and see if that helps??  

Also, I was having a little fruit with almost every meal. I also had a number of dates as snacks... I ran out of dates yesterday and decided that I won’t be buying more because I obviously can’t control myself with them. I haven’t been eating any other dried fruit though. I was using English breakfast tea with coconut milk to ween myself off coffee (up to 4 cups a day!) but I’ve decided to 1) limit myself to one cup a day now 2) stop eating dates 3) not have fruit with breakfast 4) really stick to the no snacking rule and 5) make sure I’m not overdoing the fat. I know I was supposed to be doing this all along but just eating the right foods, giving up the coffee and cutting down the snacks was all I could handle at once. I feel like I’m moving to “level 2” or something. It really is a process!

The good news is that I definitely think the tiger blood is kicking in over here. I have a lot more energy. I’ve added two more workouts a week (up to 5 now) and have been doing extra walks with the dog. I also cleaned out the pantry the other day (resulting in two bags of food I decided that I really don’t need to start eating again for the local church) and started the cleaning the garage yesterday. I also decided I want to paint my bathroom. (We moved in 6 years ago and the walls are still builder-white). I have been thinking more about reintroduction. I think instead of reintroducing right away I might take a week or two to continue to eat on plan but maybe teach myself more about paleo cooking. I still want to know how the foods affect me and will eventually reintroduce to find out but I also think I need more skills to make sure I have more food options so I don’t just go back to the same old stuff.

5 hours ago, Marj K said:

@rusrachare you feeling more energy? If you check my activity feed, you can see the conversations I had about energy and meal proportions. People/moderators gave me really good tips. I just have to have a good chunk of protein in every meal, lots of veg and a bit of fat. I'm going easier on the fruit, because it can spike sugar levels, especially earlier in the day. The idea too, is to eat large enough meals to not need to snack. This all took a lot of getting used to and I was so skeptical that that could be why I was tired, but it actually worked. My energy is more even keel and lasting throughout the day!

Still tired. Thanks for sharing your experience. :) I've been wondering if I need to tweak my meals.

Question. I feel like I've read conflicting advice about carb veggies like potatoes...like during the first week or two you should eat them because they will give you energy (also during your period)...but then today I read in the Day by Day book that if you are having problems sleeping you should shift your carb heavy veggies to the evening. Have you stumbled across anything that clears that up (otherwise I'll ask in Troubleshooting)? Do potatoes give you energy or the opposite? I'm so confused. LOL. I've had a sweet potato hash for breakfast (needed a break from eggs) and a sweet potato with lunch Mon-Wed this week. Wondering if that might be part of my problem. I did realize that I probably still need to add more fat, so I've been bringing olives with me to work. I feel like my protein and veggie amounts are good overall and follow the template. It's kind of weird that the proportions are really SO specific. I didn't expect that to matter so much. Oh well.

Oh, and I haven't snacked that much. There have been a handful of times when I've needed a snack but I've almost always really made sure I was actually hungry before giving into the snack.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, rusrach said:

Still tired. Thanks for sharing your experience. :) I've been wondering if I need to tweak my meals.

Question. I feel like I've read conflicting advice about carb veggies like potatoes...like during the first week or two you should eat them because they will give you energy (also during your period)...but then today I read in the Day by Day book that if you are having problems sleeping you should shift your carb heavy veggies to the evening. Have you stumbled across anything that clears that up (otherwise I'll ask in Troubleshooting)? Do potatoes give you energy or the opposite? I'm so confused. LOL. I've had a sweet potato hash for breakfast (needed a break from eggs) and a sweet potato with lunch Mon-Wed this week. Wondering if that might be part of my problem. I did realize that I probably still need to add more fat, so I've been bringing olives with me to work. I feel like my protein and veggie amounts are good overall and follow the template. It's kind of weird that the proportions are really SO specific. I didn't expect that to matter so much. Oh well.

Oh, and I haven't snacked that much. There have been a handful of times when I've needed a snack but I've almost always really made sure I was actually hungry before giving into the snack.

Hi @rusrach - so for the potatoes/starches, both answers are correct. You should eat them for "energy" because often folks will go too low carb and that's not the intent or the format of this program. Our recommendation is to make sure that you are having at least one fist sized serving per day for overall improved energy. That said, potatoes and some other starchy veggies can have a sedating effect which is why we would say that you could put them towards the end of your day to help with sleep.

Does that make sense?

So nice to know you're keeping an eye out for us, @ladyshanny!

While you're here...I have 9 days to go and I think I'm going to cut FODMAPS for the remainder. I have had a VERY distended belly (assume it's bloating) for years and years and I am now determined to figure out what's going on in there.

A few quick questions:

1. Is 7 days long enough off FODMAPS or should I stay off longer? In Day by Day, Melissa suggested eliminating them for 1 week. 

2. What is the best way to reintroduce FODMAPS (and can I just do it after my regular 10 day reintro)? Is there an online resource? It seems somewhat complex and I'm waiting for Food Freedom to arrive. I'm just a tad overwhelmed--more so than just with the W30. 

3. Anything else you recommend?

Thanks! Marj

I cut out the sweet potato from breakfast and lunch yesterday and wasn't quite as tired. Still don't have a great level of energy or focus. I've started wondering if being peri-menopausal has something to do with the "magic" not kicking in. Oh yeah, female hormones!

Yay for peri! Not. Haha. I've also noticed that energy can rise and fall based on hormonal stuff. I'm learning to be more gentle with myself if I'm tired and need to take it easy, instead of pushing myself to keep "getting stuff done." 

I realized this morning that the RIGID no FODMAP thing was too much, but that I can experiment with going off some of the main culprits or just practice with modification, which has always been a bit challenging. My meditation practice is helping me find balance with all of this. Yay. 

DAY 22, y'all!

How's everyone doing? Day 23 on my end! Feeling good. Starting with lower FODMAP food choices today. A bit nervous, but we'll see...one day at a time. Not sure how it effects reintro, b/c I may need more time or to do it differently. How's it going with you all?

Hugs, Marj

p.s. My W30 recipes are on Pinterest if you want to follow. Not everything is there, but it's got a bunch. Are you guys on there?

p.p.s. Sending you guys a direct email...

Hi ladies!

I had some crazy food dreams last night - eating all sorts of things I’m not supposed to, accompanied by crazy guilt was the theme.  I’m still feeling good - lots of energy, no soreness from the extra exercise. I just want to eat though. Not specific cravings but I just want to eat all the time. I tried to keep busy today but it didn’t help much. Serious snack attack.

I hear you, Vanessa_ Those dreams are so common and I definitely had a few...and yeah, I really want to snack right now. Tired. Should just go to bed. and probably a bit dehydrated. Night! 

p.s. did you get my direct message?

On 5/11/2018 at 10:17 AM, Marj K said:

Yay for peri! Not. Haha. I've also noticed that energy can rise and fall based on hormonal stuff. I'm learning to be more gentle with myself if I'm tired and need to take it easy, instead of pushing myself to keep "getting stuff done."

Oh yeah, it's SUCH a joy! :blink: Haha. Still exhausted and still struggle to get to sleep and wake up. Also still have the brain fog. I think I'm realizing just how much of this is most likely related to hormones. I'll be setting up an appointment with my doctor soon to discuss what I can do. Sigh. I'm too young for all this (I'll be 43 in a few months)! LOL.

But I'm glad you two are feeling good!

It's weird, but I haven't had food dreams. I've had vivid food dreams other times I've given up sweets though.

Archived