Nanette's whole30 log

nshepardson

Sheez, Day 29 all ready

I've got meatloaf for days Terez.

My aunt's having a terrible time cooking, she's legally blind from macular degeneration and has lost most of her sight now. I've been giving her samples of what I've been cooking lately, the meatloaf was a hit! She had to know all the ingredients before she tasted it, only thing she didn't like was no eggs in it, but she said it wouldn't stop her from eating it. Cool, right?

Did I say how much I hate driving in thunderstorms! I really do, specially on the freeway with a bunch of 10 wheelers surrounding me.

We made it home and I was still full from lunch. I opted for a coconut, spinach, cherry smoothie, it was actually really good!

Today I ate:

Bulletproof coffee no butter

Tea

Tangerines

Sunflower seed, pumpkin seed, raisins

Meatloaf

Sautéed kale, onions and sweet potato

Coconut cherry smoothie w/ spinach

I used to add agave syrup to all my smoothies before paleo, bleh ;-\. Now just a handful of frozen cherries, coconut milk and spinach tastes spot on ;-D

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the making of paleo ketchup that's slowing me down. My kitchen's gotten very cluttered and I don't want to embark on anything new.

You didn't put any eggs in your meatloaf? I always do!

Glad your Aunt Sally liked the meatloaf. I'm sure you felt good to visit her.

Nanette, back to the bulletproof coffee discussion we were having earlier. Today I had a cup of blended (or "blendered" as someone said) coffee w/ghee. For my second cup, I added a little coconut oil as well.

To my surprise, there was a noticeable energy lift from drinking the second cup. Those medium-chain fatty acids really do something.

I'm having the ghee in my coffee as a "supplement" because fermented cod liver oil + butter oil are recommended for healthy teeth and I have a tooth issue going on. I bought fermented cod liver oil but I prefer to get my "butter oil" through ghee (I'm fortunate to have access to butter made from raw A2 cream).

Not to ramble on and on, but I had a thought this morning that you're having MCT in your coffee [and I wondered that it's not greasy while butter is but I guess different types of fat feel different] -- and I thought, I've been leaving the coconut oil out of mine, and maybe I should put it back in.

Another interesting thing I noticed. As of this week, I'm no longer missing the sweetener in my coffee. Until now I've liked it well enough without sweetener but felt that I would go back to sweetening my coffee after the W30. But now I'm absolutely savoring the taste and flavor, and not feeling like anything needs to change.

Today is Day 29 for me. I love this!

Terez

It's the making of paleo ketchup that's slowing me down. My kitchen's gotten very cluttered and I don't want to embark on anything new.

You didn't put any eggs in your meatloaf? I always do!

Glad your Aunt Sally liked the meatloaf. I'm sure you felt good to visit her.

Me too Terez. Eggs-I Loove eggs, they just don't like me :-(. Found that out my last Whole 30.

Congrats on making it through the whole 30! I'm eager to read you post about the last day and the results you've had. Also, how do you post the pictures in your log?

Thanks ashleycolette! I've been doing Whole30 while working on getting rid of some nasty parasites and a bacterial infection called H.pylori. Sooo, I'm not feeling the energy boost I felt my last Whole30, my immune system is working hard at supporting the elimination of these beggars!

I can say that the Whole30 is the most supportive lifestyle/diet I could be on to help the healing process. In fact, the last few days I've been feeling much better than in the beginning. The biggest improvement I've had this time around is that those God awful hot flashes I've been "enjoying" the past 5 years are completely gone:-D. As a result I'm sleeping at least 8 hours a night at 98% efficiency (I wear a fitbit). That's a huge BIG DEAL for me.

I plan to stay with the Whole30 program for at least another month thru the end of the protocol I'm on for H.pylori. I haven't weighed myself, but my clothes feel a little looser.

Terez, I think the MCT oil plus butter is too much for me. I don't have any prob with MCT oil, if I remember correctly, coconut oil contains MUFA's or short chain fatty acids, they by pass the liver and are readily absorbed by the body for energy.

Me too, I totally <3 this lifestyle and feel so lucky to have found it.

Day 30 and I ate:

Herbal tea

Tangerines

Avocado

Meatloaf

Sautéed Kale, Onions and Sweet Potatoes

Italian Sausage

I celebrated day 30 with an hour long massage . . .aaaahhh, time for bed. Plenty of time tomorrow to catch up on all the posts I missed today.

Day 31

Long, long shi**y day. Started out well. I was invited to go to lunch with a good friend and a bunch of folks I hadn't seen in a while. That was the good part,the bad part, the food totally sucked. I ended up with a grilled chicken salad, and it came on a bed of ice berg no taste lettuce, a few onions, soggy tomatoes . . my God I'm spoiled.

Very pleased I ordered pico de gallo on the side, no dressing. It saved the day. I was starved and felt weak and tired the rest of the afternoon. I did have a snack of pumpkin, sunflower seeds and raisins, that helped some. Boy was I happy to get home. I polished off the last of my meatloaf, sautéed some apples and onions in ghee with a little cinnamon and gobbled up the rest of the broccoli.

Today I ate:

Herbal tea

Grilled chicken salad with pico de gallo

Trail mix seeds and raisins

Meatloaf

Broccoli

Sautéed apples and onions w/cinnamon

I was so hungry when I got home, I forgot to take pics of the finished product. Oh well . . .

Yep, I'm going to keep on keepin on for another 30 days. Aside fom the whole lunch thing, I felt pretty good today, no upset tummy, nausea,or stuff like that. Still a little bloated but not as bad as the last 2 weeks. Maybe we've turned a corner and the healing process has begun ;-)

Day 32

Really, really, fricking cold in the Windy City today Brrrrr. Once I got the gorgeous pork shoulder roast into the crock pot with onions, apples, cinnamon, salt, pepper, fresh ginger and a little garlic (nom nom I know . . . .) we hit the bricks to take in "Silverlinings Playbook". What a crazy beautiful flick, a must see!

ec55f13a6cc311e29bea22000a1f90d2_6.jpg

A huge crock of shredded pork with apples and onions - waaay good. Time to eat.

Today I ate:

Bulletproof Coffee (yep, no butter)

Tea

Meatloaf (Finally gone . . .)

Broccoli

Honey Ginger Apple Shredded Pork (sans Honey) from paleomg

Green Beans

Dang I lost a whole day.

Day 33

Long day. . . . I didn't have a lot of energy, managed to get the laundry done, the car washed and some grocery shopping, that was it. I left home around 5:30 to go to Otawa-speaking engagement- and didn't get home until 11:15pm.

Yesterday I ate:

Tangerines

Crockpot pork

Brussels sprouts

BA salad-just greens and veggies

I never have much of an appetite before I speak, nervous I guess. We had a good time, met some really good folks-a couple of 3rd generation farmers-all organic. Too bad they're so far away-at least a 2 hour drive.

Slept really good ;-)

Day 34

It's Super Bowl night. Too bad I'm not a big football fan. I have some chicken breasts baking in salsa in the oven. Tomorrow morning I'm going to crock a beef brisket. Still have a little pulled pork left. That should get us thru Thursday;).

Really low on energy today. When I don't get to bed by 9pm, the next day I always feel half awake, even if I get 8 hours sleep. My stomach feels queasy again ;(. I was told I'd go thru phases while getting rid of this infection. Sure will b glad when it's gone, for good.

Today I ate:

Bulletproof coffee

Black tea

Sautéed spinach

Bacon

Chicken wings

Guacamole & cut up veggies

Can't believe it's only 6pm. Feels like 9pm........Hope I feel better tomorrow. Want to catch up with all the posts I've missed the past couple days.

You're keeping on!

I know what you mean about being spoiled!!!

Terez

Yes, and I'm proud of it Terez, being spoiled about food that is.

Yep, I'm keepin on. Want to stay really paleo clean while I'm working on getting rid of this bacterial infection. Whole30 is a huge help for me.

Day 35

We've got snow! And, I've got a beautiful brisket with onions, red and orange sweet peppers and tomato sauce warming in my crockpot. This recipe I got from Lea at PaleoSpirit. It's always a big hit in our house. I tweaked it a little, leaving the hot peppers out, my DH can't handle the heat. It's still nom nom good ;-D

Today I ate

Bulletproof no butter

Black tea

Tangerines

Salsa chicken

Green beans

Guacamole

Sweet pepper crockpot brisket

Brussels sprouts

Didn't have time for pics today-flew out of the house to get to work on time and totally forgot to snap a shot of dinner before I scarfed it down. Really hungry when I got home tonight. It's a good thing. I am definitely on the mend ;-O.

I know what you mean about feeling good about being hungry (having an appetite).

What kind of speaking do you do?

Terez

It's for an anonymous organization I belong to. That's about all I can say . . .we have a good time helping each other out, and it's all volunteer work. Thanks for asking Terez.

I've been lazy about writing in my Log these days. My stomach has definitely settled down, still a lot of gurgling going on, but much less nausea and getting more and more regular, if you know what I mean.

Yesterday I ate:

Bulletproof Coffee sans butter

Tea

Cutie Tangerines (we're seeing the last of these now.)

Mexican Salsa Chicken Breasts

Green Beans

Crockpot Sweet Pepper Beef Brisket

Broccoli

It's getting soooo much easier to plan menus and fix dinners & lunches now. Even without eggs, even though I do miss them :wub: , still . . .

Another day at work today and I'm packing some sunshine sauce, veggies and maybe an apple (peeled and cored). My tummy seems to do better when I peel my apples, at least for now.

Sally was fun yesterday. We cleaned out a couple of file cabinets and found "stuff" from 1990 in one, and my grandma's old "Favorites" folder filled with poems and cut out newspaper articles - we had a good cry together and then laughed about it. Oh, and we found an old cookbook of my Great Aunt Tein's. Her famous molasses cookies recipe is in it along with beef and chicken stock - very cool :P . I brought it home to type some of them up for safe keeping. It pays to go through old cupboards and drawers, right?

It is Day 38 for me, but, BUT I have been forgetting to log on a daily basis. Soooo, this is Day 37,s food log:

Bulletproof coffee, no butter

Herbal Tea

Cutie tangerines

Sweet Pepper beef brisket (crockpot)

Green beans

Apple

Sunflower butter

Cut up veggies, carrots, cukes, zucchini and Sunshine Sauce

Early to bed last night, was feeling icky and totally e haunted - not much of an appetite either ;(.

Day 38 it is and I'm at work.

Terez, "back in the day", right? I can't figure out what happened with all the times in between. S**T I'm sounding like my mom ;-D. I should be so lucky, she lived well into her 80's. speaking of health . . .

I haven't been feeling all that good since waging war on this H.pylori infection. There's been maybe a few days where I felt really good and energetic, but compared to what? The rest of the time I'm tired, a little cranky, and totally not hungry. I'm told this is the way it goes, and that I am making progress -sheeze - 3 more weeks to go. . . . On the bright side, my typical cravings for chocolate and sugary goodies are like gone, along with the rest of my appetite. I am really hungry just before eating, but 2 actual meals per day is all I seem to want or need.

I know, quit complaining, :-D, enjoy the moment . . . .

Day 39 or whatever - at least I'm writing on the right day. They are all starting to blend in together.

No work today, and I slept in, felt sooo good. Went to a meeting around 10:30 and then had coffee with a friend. DH fixed a late lunch this afternoon, turkey legs on the grill. Yummy.

Today I ate:

Bulletproof coffee, no butter

Herbal tea

Apple with sunflower butter

Plain Coffee

Grilled turkey leg

Asparagus

Cherries w/coconut cream

Late night for us tonight, out with friends. Tomorrow we're going to see our buddy do his Magic Show in Skokie-and I will be braving the temptations in the "jewel case" at the Cheesecake Factory at Old Orchard mall.

Day 41

I know, I missed a day, but I keep a journal so I'll be posting my food log from yesterday :o Here's what I discovered today. I hadn't weighed myself since starting this Whole30+. I got on the scale for the first time in a long time and I was amazed. I've been waging war again H.pylori and a number of other little critters and "not welcome" items in my digestive tract, I've been much more tired, if I exercise at all, it's walking - I love to walk or some rebounding - no planned anything. Well, here's what happened to my weight:

December 30:

135.4 Lbs. 35.6% Fat Body Weight 64.5% Lean Body Weight

129.2 Lbs. 33.9% Fat Body Weight 66% Lean Body Weight

Why am I so amazed. Because the Body Fat percentages and Lean Body Weight percentages tell the real story. I lost 1.7% body fat and I gained 1.5% lean body weight. Over all the scale says I lost 6.2 pounds, but the important fact is I lost more body fat and gained more lean body tissue, without doing any strenuous exercise.

Bottom line, there is truth to the fact that the total number of lbs. gained or lost on a typical bathroom scale are not the entire story - there's much more to us human beings that our total weight in pounds B) .

I used a Withings scale - my dh and I finally broke down and bought one B) No I don't weigh myself every day now - IMHO it's pointless - yes, I do care what I look like, I am a "more mature" woman but I am female and I will always care about my physical appearance, but one thing is clear to me after this little n=1 experiment - I am so much more than just 1 number on a scale :rolleyes: .

Day 40 and I ate:

Bulletproof coffe - no butter

Herbal tea - lots of it *(upset tummy yesterday)

Blackberries

Coconut Cream

Chicken Wings - grilled

BA side salad

Shrimp Gumbo soup in broth - no butter or cream

Scallops wrapped in bacon

No I didn't get all fancy and cook yesterday - I spent most of the day cleaning out the fridge (yuck what a mess that was), cleaning out a couple of closets, catching up on the phone with my gal pals - then we ate out at our fave restaurant Adele's where we know the chef and I can be assured I am still Whole30 compliant.

We saw our friend perform last night, he's a magician. There's nothing like watching a really good magic man put on a show for an auditorium loaded with kids - ages 5 to 13 - totally rocked!

I know, Day 41 still - but I figured as long as I have the time I'd keep going ;) .

Grocery day today and then a marathon kitchen day. Found some recipes I'm anxious to try - Pale Mango Coconut Chipotle Chicken - I know that's a mouthful, right? Found that one at paleopot.com. And, I'm in the mood for some more meatballs - "My New Favorite Crockpot Meatball Recipe" from momgonepaleo.com sounded nomnomnom. I love using Springpad.com to find recipes and then copy them into "notebooks". And, I can notebook a "menu planner" and the recipes to a grocery list, it shows up on my iPhone, and I'm ready for the grocery store.

We're picking up our meat today too from our local farmer. Looove these folks! she always adds a little ground heart in her GF pastured ground beef. Soooo good.

OK, so you got me to google that scale. Way too baffling for me! But awesome for you to get those figures. (Pun not intended!)

I looked up that mango chicken recipe. I've got a bunch of boneless chicken thighs ready to cook. But not chipotle. Went to amazon and ordered a 3-pack of chipotle flakes. They'll be delivered on Wednesday. Meanwhile I'll pick up a mango and should be ready to put the ingredients in my crock pot on Thursday.

OK, so you got me to google that scale. Way too baffling for me! But awesome for you to get those figures. (Pun not intended!)

I looked up that mango chicken recipe. I've got a bunch of boneless chicken thighs ready to cook. But not chipotle. Went to amazon and ordered a 3-pack of chipotle flakes. They'll be delivered on Wednesday. Meanwhile I'll pick up a mango and should be ready to put the ingredients in my crock pot on Thursday.

You are so smart Terez! I went to WF's to find chipotle flakes - NADA! I made it with a chipotle seasoning mix. I'll be indulging today for lunch and will pass on MHO then :P

Day 41 and I ate:

Bulletproof Coffee - no butter

Lots of Herbal Mint Tea (tummy really working these days)

Raspberries

GR pastured Veal Bratwurst

Avocado

1d2c24aa73d111e29d6522000a9f134c_6.jpg

NomNomNom Grilled pork chops, green beans and just apples apples sauce

Finally, I had time AND I remembered to take a quick pic!

Today is Day 42 and I feel pretty damn good, if I say so myself. Not as hung over in the morning like I'd been feeling. Only 3 more weeks of this protocol to get rid of these nasty little bacterias and bugs that decided to live in my digestive tract. Waging war on these critters is exhausting :wacko: and yes, there are times when I think I'm totally whacked for starting this whole thing. 3 more weeks and we'll see . . .

Today I'm having my new recipe Paleo Mango Coconut Chipotle Chicken from PaleoPot.

mango1.jpg

Mine isn't going to look nearly as pretty as hers - so I thought I'd steal her jpeg - nice, right? Now you see why I decided to throw down and fire up the old crockpot . . .

Archived