Nanette's whole30 log

nshepardson

I'm going to try to attempt the impossible and catch up to Day 44.

Here's what my Day 42 & 43 looked like:

a32e3372747611e2ad7a22000a9f3090_6.jpg

Not nearly as pretty as the above - but I must say, just as tasty. This has been lunch for the past 2 days. I switched up the veggies with some avocado and tomato with cucumber.

At night - once again, not very hungry - I opted for

d8a76a02745111e2868a22000a9f18a6_6.jpg

Fruit seems to be feeling really good now in the evening - so I'm just going for it. I had some frozen 365 organic cherries and blackberries in the freezer. I let those thaw out and chowed down with some coconut cream.

Today I plan to spend some more time in the kitchen and put together My New Favorite Crockpot Paleo Meatball Recipe. There's a cauliflower veggie recipe I've been meaning to make too, Fresh Vegetable Salad with Black Olives. Ambitious I know . . . but it's time to have some fun and experiment a little bit. I've got two full days of work coming up, so leftovers will come in real handy.

I know, working a full day on Valentine's Day . . . .

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My spicy mango chicken came out kind of soupy. I had it over cauli-rice. It was good but maybe not as good as I'd hoped. I'm interested to see how the leftovers are tomorrow.

Terez

Well that totally sucks Terez ;(. Hope it tastes better tomorrow.

Day 44 was one long a** day! I did make my meatballs - OMG. I'll have pics tomorrow.

Today I ate:

Bulletproof coffee no butter

Herbal Tea

Green apple

Sunbutter

GF pastured veal bratwurst

Sautéed zucchini

My New Favorite Crockpot Paleo Meatballs. OMG so yummy they are my def my fave meatballs

Time for sleeping, long day tomorrow . . . .b

Day 2

I woke up with a nasty tummy ache. I'm not afraid of what I'm feeling because it has a name. I have HPylori. I don't present with symptoms like an ulcer, burning and stuff like that - I get a tummy ache - when I eat a lot of fat, I feel nauseous and pressure in my stomach.

How do you feel after your treatment? I did the treatment and felt like I got worse afterwards :( I should be getting my retest results soon, but I feel your pain!

Also, I have found that coffee, chocolate, oranges, anything acidic really, causes extreme burning. It seems like coffee does okay with you?

How do you feel after your treatment? I did the treatment and felt like I got worse afterwards :( I should be getting my retest results soon, but I feel your pain!

Also, I have found that coffee, chocolate, oranges, anything acidic really, causes extreme burning. It seems like coffee does okay with you?

Hey johnsona! I still have 2 weeks to go after this week. Did you do the antibiotics route with Pepto Bismol? I'm following the supplemental protocol with mastic gum, specific herbs, probiotics, enzymes, glutamine powder, etc. Each week it gets a little easier. I haven't had any extreme bouts of nausea or cramping now for about 4 or 5 days. The first two weeks on this protocol were the worst. I never had any burning or ulcer like symptoms.

For me too much sugar or fat will cause the biggest problems - which is why I like the Whole30 so much. I do fine with coconut milk, but even ghee can be a major problem. Lately fruit has been okay, so long as I stick to one maybe two a day. I've cut back on the amount of avocados I'll eat too.

Just will be very happy when I'm done.

Day 45

Happy Valentine's Day

Finally got a decent pic of lunch today

9ff5b92c76cf11e28ad722000a9f1498_6.jpg

It's still a little dark - but hot damn! These are soooo very tasty. My Favorite Crockpot Paleo Meatball Recipe can be found here. The only thing I did differently was to cut the recipe in half - it's only me and my dh - kinda wish I'd made more now :wub: .

We went out to dinner at Adele's tonight - Valentine's Day celebration. It was 23 years ago to the day that I spent my very last Valentine Day's alone. We met exactly 1 week later and have been together ever since.

Today I ate:

Bulletproof Coffee - no butter

Herbal Tea

Meatballs

Cauliflower & Green Beans

Spring Greens Salad mix w/Champagne Vinaigrette

Pork Tenderloin w/chunky apple sauce

Roast Brussel Sprouts

Cauliflower Puree

Really pleased I didn't care for any dessert tonight. Could it be I'm losing my sweet tooth? :o

Hey Nanette -- so you included the parmesan and the almond meal in the meatballs?

I don't have almond meal. Do have coconut flour, which I think is generally substituted at half the quantity of almond flour. May be risky to mess with the recipe, though...

Terez

Terez, I didn't include the parmesan, but I did include the eggs. I haven't had any problems so far . . .I'm really trying to remain Whole30 compliant for the full 60 days. That and cheese and I have a bad history. I do intend to add some in as an experiment post Whole30 ;) because I do admit looooving cheese.

I hear ya', I generally don't mess with the whole flour thing, I'm lucky to have almond meal - I have used regular Bob's Red Mill Almond flour and popped it in my dry blade Vitamix and ground it finer, then sifted it. A lot of work, I know . . ..

Now let's see, where did I leave off . . .

Day 46 was uneventful I ate:

Bulletproof coffee - no butter

Herbal Tea

Apple

Left over Pork Tenderloin

Brussel Sprouts

Cauliflower Puree

Meatballs

Green Beans

I've been looking over my food log and I eat a ton of green beans! I'm going to have to throw down on a commitment here AGAIN, and get more greens into my meals.

My digestion appears to be improving - still a little queasy, still some "evacuation" problems, but not nearly the icky mess I used to be. I love salads and raw veggies and have had to cut down on them during this protocol. I think I'll try a simple salad today and see how it goes . . .

Day 47

My dh woke up this morning and plodded downstairs in his usual grumpy way and said out of the blue . . . .

"your skin looks really good for an old broad . . ."

At my age, I'll take it! :wub:

So here she is, an old broad (I'm getting used to saying 62 in 2 weeks :unsure: ) - no make up - be forewarned!

edd16d60785c11e2893322000a1f9ca0_6.jpg

I swear I look like my pop - I take after his side of the family, the whole blonde, Olson, Swedish thing going on. Yep, I'll never look like a 20, 30, 40, or 50 something - but after 46 days of Whole30 I sure as heck feel like it - and that works for me!

Aww thanks Derval. So cool to have gal pals, right?

Day 47 and I ate

Bulletproof coffee - no butter

Lots and lots of herbal tea

Blackberries

Avocado and tomato salad

Meatballs

Grilled turkey legs

Brussel sprouts

Not much of an appetite today and not a whole lot of energy either. Spent a lot of time relaxing, planning our menu for next week and doing laundry. Hopefully tomorrow I'll wake up ready to rock "da house" ;)

Hey johnsona! I still have 2 weeks to go after this week. Did you do the antibiotics route with Pepto Bismol? I'm following the supplemental protocol with mastic gum, specific herbs, probiotics, enzymes, glutamine powder, etc. Each week it gets a little easier. I haven't had any extreme bouts of nausea or cramping now for about 4 or 5 days. The first two weeks on this protocol were the worst. I never had any burning or ulcer like symptoms.

For me too much sugar or fat will cause the biggest problems - which is why I like the Whole30 so much. I do fine with coconut milk, but even ghee can be a major problem. Lately fruit has been okay, so long as I stick to one maybe two a day. I've cut back on the amount of avocados I'll eat too.

Just will be very happy when I'm done.

I did the conventional route, yes. My numbers were pretty high on the h pylori test and I also have some other creatures as well, so my Naturopath wanted that cleared. I have been finding that I do best on the IBS protocol, but am on day 38 and am feeling a little bored and trying to stay positive and creative. I get my results this Friday and am eager to see them.

Hope the diet and your regime help out!

Great to see the photo, Nanette! And you look 23 in the avatar so I'm glad to see you looking a bit more mature in the new pic. :) Your DH is right, your skin looks great. (All of you looks great!)

I made the meatballs. Lots and lots of meatballs! They are very tasty. Thanks for pointing me to the recipe.

Terez

I did the conventional route, yes. My numbers were pretty high on the h pylori test and I also have some other creatures as well, so my Naturopath wanted that cleared. I have been finding that I do best on the IBS protocol, but am on day 38 and am feeling a little bored and trying to stay positive and creative. I get my results this Friday and am eager to see them.

Hope the diet and your regime help out!

Thanks Johnsona;). I hope you get good news on Friday. I'd love to hear about your results if you'd care to share them. I know what you mean about feeling a little bored. . . But I'll stay positive and get creative right along with you;-)!

LOL Terez-I was 55 in that picture, guess it must have been the candlelight at the table. It is definitely time to update my avatar.

So, yesterday was Day 48 and I ate:

Bulletproof coffee -no butter

Herbal tea

Last of the Meatballs ;(

Apple

BA salad at whole foods

WF roast chicken

Day 49

I finally got around to fixing some food today. I found a recipe I've been wanting to try since picking some extra sausage from our farmer on a special sle, "Sausage, Apple, Squash and Onion Casserole. I'm on my iPad and don't have the source for it, bit tomorrow I'll post the link. It was/is really yummy!

Also treated myself to a massage today. I am totally worth it, right?

Today I ate:

Bulletproof coffee no butter

Herbal tea

Sausage, apple, squash and onion casserole

Blackberries

Grilled hamburger

Asparagus

Again, not much of an appetite today, still feeling a little nauseous. 2 more weeks of this protocol to get rid of Hpylori, it's almost over, I can do this.

Day 50

I woke up with a ton of energy this morning. Don't know where it came from, but I'm going with it :D . First time in a long time I felt so good!

Putting in a full work day today - have my lunch packed all ready and . . . .I have the link for the recipe I made with butternut squash yesterday. I didn't put the cheese in it, but . . . . hopefully in 10 more days I can start experimenting with some goat cheese. Squash, Sausage, Apple and Onion Casserole, again, no cheese for me. Mine didn't turn out as pretty as this:

squashandsausage1.jpg

It's the taste that counts, right?

Whoa, it's been a long time since I wrote in here. I keep a separate journal, so it's easy to transfer the data - just lazy on my part. Here goes for the past few days:

Day 50 and I ate:

Bulletproof Coffee sans butter

Herbal Tea

Tangerines

Squash Sausage Apple & Onion Casserole

Brussel Sprouts

Grilled Hamburger

208ffe927a0111e2996722000a9f18fe_6.jpg

Day 51 and I ate:

Herbal Tea

Apple w/Sunbutter

Grilled Hamburger

Green Beans

Chicken Tenders

3f46dc7c7bb211e2b92122000a9e0727_6.jpg

Day 52

Herbal Tea

Chicken Tenders

Avocado, Tomato & Onion Salad

Grilled Chicken Wings

Green Beans

Cauliflower Mash

57b048e67c8111e2a42522000a1f96b3_6.jpg

Time for some BEEF - I have a roast thawing out, haven't fixed this kind before in my crockpot - a Rump Roast - soo I'm off to find a recipe. Can't believe it's Day 53 all ready!

That chicken looks so good!

LOL, Totally way, so good! Have a feeling it's going to become a staple in our household and it's so simple to make.

Day 53 I ate:

Herbal Tea - Lots and Lots!

Apple w/Sunbutter

Chicken Tenders

Cauliflower Mash

Romaine, Tomatoes, Avocado, Cucumber, Onion Salad Mush (Add some lime juice and cilantro - totally yummy)

Had a sour stomach again yesterday - wasn't in the mood much for food - 10 more days and I'm done with these supplements, hopefully!

Day 54

What's amazing to me is how I am gravitating toward things like romaine lettuce, cucumbers, apples, tomatoes, avocados by themselves in a big bowl, mushed together with my hands with some lime juice and cilantro - d**n good salad. There's so little fuss or fancy ingredients - I can taste all the veggies, they actually taste sweet :blink: . I used to read about folks having these aha moments with simple, real food on the raw vegan boards - and I never thought I would experience it. It's even more amazing to me because I've been feeling less than optimal for the last 54 days since starting this Hpylori protocol. The old me would have quit this regimen weeks ago :wub: .

When I try to figure out why I'm able to continue with this protocol, I admit to feeling a little "befuddled.". It isn't because of all those stunning "feel good results", yes I've had a few and the ones I've had, have been amazing (check out Day 49) I can only attribute it to the fact that this time I believe, in my head and in my gut (no pun intended) the final result will be worth it.

Yes, I am looking forward to experimenting with some off-list foods - no I am not going through a phase of some form of paleo orthorexia, a term that has effectively been blogged about recently. I eat when I'm hungry, I quit when I'm full, and I am really looking forward to adding more delicious food to my plate and to living a long and healthy life.

10 more days - . . . . .

Holy crap! Where do I start? I have been so absent from this forum, I haven't checked into any of my "buddies" threads to see how they're doing - absolutely no excuse! I have been totally selfish and plan to log in more often. It's too difficult reiterating everything I did, see, feel, and experience over a w to 3 days period in one post.

Day 54 and I ate:

Bulletproof Coffee no butter

Herbal Tea

Apple Juice (with MaxFiber)

Green Smoothie w/coconut milk, power greens, banana, MCT oil, frozen blueberries)

Crockpot Beef Rumproast w/ onions

Steamed Fresh Broccoli

Day 55 and I ate:

Herbal Tea

Green Smoothie w/coconut milk, power greens, banana, MCT oil, frozen blueberries)

Crockpot Lemon Chicken

Broccoli

Rump Roast

Day 56 and I ate:

Herbal Tea

Veal (GF) bratwurst

Green Beans

Crockpot Lemon Chicken

Romaine Lettuce, Avocado, Tomato and Cucumber Salad Mashed Together

Day 57 and I ate:

Herbal Tea

Crockpot Rump Roast w/Onions

Sweet Potato Baked

Green Beans

Veal (GF) Bratwurst

Romaine Lettuce banana Avocado wrap

As instructed by my FDN coach - I am drink 8 oz of apple juice every morning with a MaxFiber blend in it and a Coconut Smoothie with plenty of fresh greens. This is all to get my intestinal tract moving. The first couple of days I had some of those "mass evacuations" my friend Derval aptly named. Things are starting to settle down now. In fact, I had one of the best "evacuations" I've ever had this morning.

Many of you on this forum are probably all ready well versed in this next bit of "evacuation trivia," but I have been a very slow learner and it helped me a lot. There's a great chart for how our "evacuations" should look and what they do look like on occasion in Diane's book "Practical Paleo". There are also a number of charts on line like this one (view at your own discretion) commonly known as the Bristol Stool Chart.

My energy levels are getting better and better every day. I had a few patches on skin that had broken out in a strange looking rash on my forearms, over the course of this Whole30 - they've cleared up. I haven't weighed myself since the last update after the first 30 or so days, but my clothes are fitting much looser. The really good news is that the nausea and uncomfortable digestive issues I've been experiencing are really clearing up now. I actually feel like working out again and have been throwing around some light kettle bells and doing interval training (tabata style) on my rebounder.

Now - time to catch up on some threads I've missed out on the last several days.

Day 58

Soo good to be able to take my time this morning. No work! Now I have to fight the urge to spend the extra money I earned as a result of all that hard work ;)

I just love green apples and bananas with Sunbutter. And the good news is, now they like me :lol: !

aa1bee0a80fa11e2873222000a1f9e77_6.jpg

Oh well, maybe some day I'll get as good at presentation as Derval and Nadia :wub:

We've got snow and the just the right remedy

9c7d291e80f311e29c6822000a1f9688_6.jpgad2c920480f311e281d622000a1f975c_6.jpg

This is what we do when the Grill is retired due to the weather, Aaaaah Bone Broth. . . .beautiful right? ;)

Thanks Derval - I feel your FEAR!

Yes I completed my 60 days. Yes i remained compliant - I just decided to be lazy and a brat, and not share it, it was uneventful, or at least IMHO it was totally uneventful.

I will be posting in the Post Whole30 section with updates on the foods I am going to start adding back in, starting with today because . . .

8523992203_ccc3f9e530_m.jpg

They say it's your Birthday . . . .

I know totally selfish and self serving, and I confess, I love birthdays! So my first day of adding in foods will be adding in a LOT, cause I'm having cake!

Archived