Any tips or warnings for 'life after Whole 30' for emotional eaters or carb addicts?

Cjcheck

For the first time in my life, I have experienced freedom from binging on carbs as an emotional comfort.  This makes me feel confident and I am looking and feeling fantastic.  DAY 31 is in two days and I am starting to panic.  How do I reintroduce or go off plan without slipping back into old habits?    I feel like the whole 30 strict guidelines have been a 'guard rail' for me and Day 31might just plummet me back to a place I don't want to go.  I read the reintroduction articles but haven't seen anything that specifically gives tips for those that suffer from emotional eating or carb addictions. 

Best tip I can give you?

If it was a problem food before Whole 30, it will be a problem food after Whole 30, as well.  

You know what they are for you.  Steer clear.  

If the idea of living without ____ sounds "depressing" to you, then it may be more of a problem than you realize.  

2 hours ago, Cjcheck said:

For the first time in my life, I have experienced freedom from binging on carbs as an emotional comfort.  This makes me feel confident and I am looking and feeling fantastic.  DAY 31 is in two days and I am starting to panic.  How do I reintroduce or go off plan without slipping back into old habits?    I feel like the whole 30 strict guidelines have been a 'guard rail' for me and Day 31might just plummet me back to a place I don't want to go.  I read the reintroduction articles but haven't seen anything that specifically gives tips for those that suffer from emotional eating or carb addictions. 

My best advice going forward is to reframe your thinking. Don't think of emotional eating or carb binging as a failure or anything negative. Use it as a learning experience. If it happens again, ask yourself a few questions when it's over - what were you feeling? Did anything specific happen to trigger it? Then, go back to W30 for a day or two until you feel back in control, and then reflect on the questions you asked yourself. Then, next time you experience those feelings or the event occurs again, you can try another "coping" mechanism. Maybe try going for a walk. Clean out the closet that you've been putting off organizing. Wait until the feeling passes and then move on to the next thing!

You probably won't NEVER binge on carbs or eat emotionally again, but recognizing the signs and figuring out some other ways to handle it will help you a little more each time!

Archived